Yamaha TransAcoustic guitar reasons not to buy?

@iguitaryou
Tom, enjoy the new guitar. It is customary to post pictures, we also like to hear you play the new instrument as well :grin:

I think you will get recommendations for both options.

Those in favour of changing may say that you don’t know how long the strings have been on the guitar and that one should do a general setup right away, which may also necessitate a string change. You may also have a preferred brand. Again, on that one, some would say keep using the strings the manufacturer uses vs your own preference.

Others may say, play the guitar. If it sounds and feels good then rather enjoy it as is, get to know it, and then at the appropriate time change strings and have a setup done.

In my case, I followed the second path with my acoustic. I was happy with it off-the-shelf and only a chance encounter led me to have a setup done which made it even better. And at my play-grade, beginner with hints of intermediate, I am not good enough to appreciate more subtle nuances of sound and playability.

1 Like

Thanks , Yes I will upload videos to youtube and put links here.
I do not know much about accustics you said:

“hat one should do a general setup right away, which may also necessitate a string change.”
What do you mean by general set up ? Is there any other set up needed except string change?

Your question about what else could be done opens up a whole range of things that could be done but would say not for the inexperienced. Will let others respond.

The action is OK and it plays well . The strings do not buzz so is there any more to look at? :slight_smile:

Post a picture, as David suggested as I am thinking about a Yamaha for my next guitar🎸

Right click and open the image in new window to see in full

That looks great, very envious :+1:

Thanks. Do you know about guitar actions? please see these pics are these actions ok?
Right click on pic to open in new windows and see full size

This is low E action

and this is hight E action

A general setup would include looking at neck relief (the curvature of the neck which is generally slightly concave), action, and intonation. On an electric guitar you can generally take care of these at home, following YT videos to learn, with basic tools and not get yourself into too much trouble. On an acoustic it may require work that needs more knowledge and skill to perform safely, such as working on the bridge to lower it.

Sounds like all is good. And if it sounds good to your ear then play on and wait until the strings need changing.

Some recommend changing as a matter of course after a given number of hours play (that’s subjective), others by string condition (if they start showing signs of corrosion, leaving your fingers black after playing), or just use your ears (when they no longer sound good to your ears, though gradual loss of quality can be be hard to notice).

Thanks I sent image of my action in this thread is the action ok?

I’m not an expert, Tom, I think that looks fine, especially if you don’t get fret buzz when playing up and down the neck. If you can play barre chords then are you able to do so comfortably up at the 5th, 8th, 10th fret? But not sure of the ideal measurements.

It is easy to move around and no buzz . I think I will open a new thread for action only perhaps some body can give me some feedback :slight_smile:

I phoned a friend (Google) :smile:

Blockquote Measure the distance from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the 6th string. This gap should be from . 085" to . 093" (5.5/64" to 6/64") .

Blockquote The gap at the 1st fret should be . 020" +/- . 002"

All looks good

Play and enjoy :smiley:

1 Like

I love you and google :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK now after a few days of using Accustic guitar I am trying hard to like it.
Played almost all my life Nylon guitar and acoustic is so harsh. Harsh to play and the sound hurts my ear. Also this Yamaha sound is huge. It is too much. So loud and harsh :slight_smile: My wife loves acoustic guitar but it seems I need time to adjust myself. my fingers are hurting too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guys I have a problem. This guitar is making me crazy It keeps ringing ( feedback) when not in use

Does this sound come out of the guitar? I’m not an expert in electronics by any means, but I would think that either something is making the strings vibrate or the built-in preamp is picking up some noise from nearby. Does this noise persist if you turn the volume down on the guitar?

In transaccustic guitar the volume does not effect the reverb it just effects when it is connected to amp. this happened a few times when the reverb was on . After I played it and put it on sofa ,after a while it kept ringing. I contacted the store and he acknowledged it and said I can return the guitar so I am going to get rid of it asap and buy another yamaha but not transaccustic as it seems in a long run it is not a good idea. Normal is better :slight_smile:

That sounds strange. Let us know if they think it’s a flawed design or just a faulty model.

Anyway, there are very few things that can go wrong with usual acoustic guitars. :wink: Just get them or a luthier to set it up so that it will be comfortable to play and won’t require too much pressure to fret barre chords.

I wish I had seen this video before I got this guitar
It seems I am not alone