You Shook Me All Night Long [3/3] by AC/DC Lesson

Learn to play You Shook Me All Night Long [3/3] by AC/DC on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at You Shook Me All Night Long [3/3] by AC/DC | JustinGuitar

This might be a stupid question, but I’m working my way through Grade 2 and in the Songs for Module 8 there’s this song (which is one of the greatest songs of all time!) Module 8 Grade 2 has got some great songs in it and working my way through this lesson I’ve managed Wonderwall and Good Riddance (with pick-strumming). I’m going through the songs I know one by one until I can do them to an ish standard. And I can also see that Wish You Were Here (beginner) comes up in the next lesson, which also popped up earlier and I know I can do that and it’s a lot easier than this solo.

I’m working on getting part 1 and part 2 of this song correct and know how to do them, if not being able to play them up to a beginner standard just yet. However, this solo lesson is on a scale that’s much harder than anything so far. I think given a fair amount of time it’d be possible but I’m actually kind of killing myself trying to follow the lesson (I’m past my best years!)

So my question is whether I should grind this out now before I go to a different lesson (knowing playing a song is much more important than part of a song, and that challenge is the stimulus for improvement), or now seeing this is in Grade 4 I should give up and pray that by the time I get to Grade 4 it’ll be easier. Is it just part 1 that’d be in Grade 2?

Hi Tim @SunlessMeridian ,

Welcome here and I hope you have fun here. There can be a risk in learning a song that is much too difficult (I am thinking, for example, of grips and finger placement that you teach yourself or bending your wrist too far, which can lead to complaints), but with common sense it is also fun to do, it can be very nice to start with a song that is much too difficult (possibly simplify it a bit If necessary) and then come back to it a little further in the course and back and back :grin:… I started with tears in heaven as the first or second song… that Of course it didn’t work at all, but that’s what I expected and didn’t force it …

Hopefully I can help you a bit with this answer…I haven’t tried this song myself so I can’t give a detailed answer…
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi @SunlessMeridian

In general, Rogier has a good plan for this if it is something you really want to have in your catalog later. If you don’t plan to play this in the long run, then wait on the solo and maybe find another when the time is better for your capability.

For me, I have several AC/DC songs in various stages of accomplishment. I started on the solo for The Jack, but haven’t spent too much time with it as I need to work on picking accuracy before I can expect to do a good job with a solo. what I have found with AC/DC stuff is that they have some useful beginner rhythm parts (generally Malcom’s) that are fun. I generally found most of his parts something I could get up to speed with while moving thru later G2 and all of G3.

Grade 3 does have some technique that you will find useful, so don’t get too frustrated since you haven’t been through those lessons yet. I seem to frequently try to learn stuff that is ahead of my ability. I go into it willing to let it take some time and additional research ahead of the standard lesson plan. I have portions of songs I just delay until I have a better proficiency with technique needed to play them.

1 Like

Hey Tim,

The solo for You Shook Me, while seemingly straightforward notewise, requires a level of development that I would say is generally beyond Grade 2 level.
Nothing wrong at all with having a crack at it. Absolutely. But there are bending, fretting, speed, phrasing etc skills this solo requires to master. Perhaps have a go at a section to practice some skills etc.

I found this solo to be a great teacher, so when you feel ready, go for it. It is absolutely crackin fun to play :sunglasses:.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

@roger_holland - Thanks for the reply, Tears in Heaven is a fantastic song so I can’t blame you for the attempt! I expect you’ve added it to your repertoire now though.

@sequences I guess learning techniques through parts is the way to go and then coming back to learn songs in their entirety when I have the necessary skills. I just hope I get there in the end!

@sclay Thanks for the input. I love this song, and in this grade it’s the first time where I feel I’m actually playing songs that tell people “Yes I can play guitar (a bit!)”. Good Riddance, Wonderwall and You Shook Me All Night Long are all great songs. I guess what I’ll do is break the solo down into small parts and try to string them together when I feel confident that I can do each bit (or at least remember it!)

Thank you all for your advice.

1 Like