You Shook Me All Night Long

I used partially Justin’s lesson, partially another Youtuber’s lesson, to learn this. The lessons all showed using open chords for the verses, but I decided I liked the sound of the barred ones better. I love my red Schecter! Maybe someday I’ll be motivated enough to learn the solo :sweat_smile:
I found a backing track on YouTube, I think it is sped up a few clicks from the original :thinking:

25 Likes

Awesome stuff, Gina! :metal: Great playing, excellent fretting hand control throughout. And the Schecter does look verrrrry nice! :guitar: :heart_eyes: Bet it is a dream to play too! Well done on learning this one, great song! :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Great job Gina. Some solid playing there, with some good rhythm.
Interesting choice with the barre chords over the open chords. I find hitting/ muting the relevant strings on those open chords is what really drives the song, and gives that signature ACDC sound.
Did well though. Made it your own. :+1:

And the solo? Have a go at it. Its cracking fun to play, and is a great teaching tool in pentatonics, major and minor.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Well done, that had a very nice sound to it.

1 Like

That was terrific Gina, loved it! Sliding those chords nicely looking like a pro.
Beautiful looking guitar and absolutely spot on tone, that first big ringing chord on the chorus is monstrous!
Bravo :metal: :fire:

1 Like

Great stuff, Gina! :clap: :+1: You definitely rock. :metal: :metal:

Very solid performance to my ears, great rhythm and drive. Going for barre chords instead of open chords made it your own. I liked that. :smiley:

Maybe someday we’ll also get the solo done by you? But also without, this was an amazing performance. Your Schecter is a true beauty - and makes up for some great tone, too! :smiley:

1 Like

Awesome! Timing is great!!

1 Like

Very impressive Gina Rose. Your hard work is paying off!

1 Like

Excellent, keep it up gurl your doin gud!!!

1 Like

Awesome Gina. Really well played. One of my fave ad/dc songs i havent learnt yet. Might have to have a go now

1 Like

Hi Gina, that sounded really great :star_struck::clap::+1:!!
Very well done. Fantastic chord changes!

1 Like

Sounding good Gina. I love that song, one of my top 3 AC/DC songs.

1 Like

Good rocking Gina. :slight_smile:
If I may, I’ll offer a few pointers.
Opting to use the power chords is a perfectly good choice if you like the sound - if it sounds good it is good!
One issue they create is being able to make the changes in time. Timing on the chord hits is always important, it is especially so with many AC/DC songs. There are times when you are lagging behind the time by a fraction and when that happens is is hard to catch up again. Try playing the piece at a reduced tempo - maybe even just to a simple drum track to really hear when you need to hit then mute then change the chords.
Additionally, during the chorus, when you are doing the walk up / down on the thicker strings between G and D chords, I recommend you hold a Stuck 3&4 variety of G chord and simply leave your 3rd and 4th fingers in place while your 1st and 2nd fingers do the walking notes. Lift your 4th finger for the D chord then put it back as you return to the G chord.
Keep it up, you’re making good progress and it looks like you’re enjoying it too.

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes, I enjoyed doing the barre chords even though it sounds different, it’s good practice for me if nothing else!

Perhaps! For some reason I have never felt super motivated by or interested in the idea of learning big solos. I just love strumming chords! But it would certainly help me expand and become a better player so one day I might.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed insight and recommendations on my tempo and chords! I didn’t think of that for the Stuck 3/4 chord, I will have to give that a try.

1 Like

That rocked, nicely done!!

Beautiful tone. That Schecter sure sounds and looks great (I’ve been eying a Schecter myself for a while)!

Agree with what Richard says on the timing, as that’s the only tiny issue I can hear. Slow it down as much as you need to be able to play it perfectly. It can be demoralizing at first, but as I believe Justin has said, if you practice something too fast but with mistakes (even slight ones), you end up reinforcing the mistakes and making them harder to get rid of (I can attest to this personally, as I used to try and play songs at the original tempo as soon as I could barely do so, and eventually they’d get messier and messier). And let your pride in the achieved perfection be the antidote to any drop in your morale at the slower speed.

Regarding choice in chords, I couldn’t tell you’d made a change. The chords you chose sounded great to my ears. Overall, it sounds great. Nice work, and keep at it!

1 Like

Wow Gina,

You really got this one down. Very impressive. I have this on my list of songs to master as well. It has been harder for me because I always try to sing and play at the same time. Maybe that’s not achievable yet for me lol. Thanks for sharing your progress. Great job!

Jeff

1 Like

Gina, that was excellent! You looked very comfortable with the bar chords.

1 Like

Good job, Gina. I went back and listened to your other videos. All were very enjoyable songs. I hope to see you more on here posting your choice of songs because you do really well. Any thoughts on singing anymore? I saw you singing on one of the previous ones and thought you sounded fine. You can carry a tune so if you wish to, go for it.