YouTube Stats For Nerds

Following on from a post in another thread and some info from @davidp I looked up stats for nerds on one of my AVoYP videos. However I don’t know what I should be looking for here. Any advice gratefully received.

5 Likes

All good here-
The nerd is static :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Gordon this is the only real important bit. Ideally anything between -6 db and 0 db as seen here, will provide a good volume level and unlikely to be adjusted by Youtube.

Each of the streaming platforms work differently and some like Spotify will increase the level of low volume tracks, so their overall output is consistent. Youtube does not do this. If you exceed 0 db ie once you get into plus figures 2, 3, 10 db, it will reduce the volume but was it does not do is increase the volume. So if you upload a track and the content loudness is -10 db the volume will be low, -20db and it will very quiet. But if you get some where above - 6 db the volume will be pretty good.

Hope that helps. I can talk about Loudness Meters will get you a more optimum level and platform specific but we’d need to start talking LUFS, so may be leave that for another day.
There’s a thread out there with me and DP all over it :rofl:

What you can do is play random YT tracks and look at their stats. If one seem very low volume check the stats and you’ll what I am saying above.

Pump up the volume but not too much !

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hey Gordon, my best advice would be to ignore stats and everything else about a youtube recording if the video is unlisted. An unlisted video means that the video is not intended for a general audience. Unlisted videos won’t come up on someone’s feed so the video is treated as a one off. The worst that can happen is that the specific user(s) that you’ve given the link to may have to adjust their volume a little. Youtube will adjust the volume to a listenable level for the most part anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

But only in a downward direction.

"No smart-alec remarks from me today. I’m in a good mood and feeling generous to my fellow humans :smiley: "

Brian,This is a quote from 3 hours ago :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

:innocent:

Greetings and good luck Gordon with sorting out and I’ve been wondering this for a while too and just wait until someone sees a video from me and start about it if something can be done better with this stuff…but statistically it’s not likely that that will happen soon :blush:

2 Likes

Go find an ant, Rogier! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that an hour in real life is like 8 hours in the Community

Sorry, I just did it again, didn’t I? :open_mouth: :roll_eyes: :rofl:

1 Like

oops… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
:see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

And also laugh a little hard … those ant jokes don’t get boring :joy:

1 Like

Gordon for a more in depth explanation than mine try this

I’ll select this section to highlight what I said earlier. Note the part I have made bold, This applies to all uploaded video regardless of their privacy settings. And the article then goes off into the deeper arts of mastering, if you wish to take that route,

So for example a reading of 6dB means your video is 6dB louder than YouTube’s Distribution Loudness level, and a 50% normalization adjustment (-6dB) will be applied to compensate. Whereas a negative reading of -3dB, say, means it’s 3 dB lower in level than YouTube’s Distribution Loudness, and no normalization will be applied - YouTube doesn’t turn up quieter videos.

2 Likes

Good to know!

For those that play so lo(w) :rofl:

1 Like

Gordon, it’s probably all cleared up for you now.

In your image it is the 4th row and you see in brackets 0.3dB. That being a positive number means YT would have ‘turned down’ your video a wee bit. So little that it would be unlikely to make a noticeable difference.

It only becomes significant when the uploaded video is significantly louder. How loud would be significant, I’m not sure. Then the process used to turn it down would squash all the loud bits and leave the soft bits untouched (I think but stand to be corrected). That would squeeze out all the dynamics from the playback.

As CT suggested, generally speaking it is not a big deal, and an unnecessary concern. And if this example is typical of your videos then you can comfortably forget all about it. I also don’t recall ever hearing any clipping/distortion on one of your recordings, even when you are playing an improv on the electric over a BT recording the sound from the Katana.

But there are those of us ‘aliens’ who are into a little ‘Klingon’ and are just curious about such things … I am certainly one of those. And I tend to mention this just in case people posting are interested and may find some value in such details.

3 Likes