12 Bar Riff Ideas & Approach Chords

Looking at variations (using little finger), sliding into chords, adding them on the and of four, using open strings to link.

View the full lesson at 12 Bar Riff Ideas & Approach Chords | JustinGuitar

Hi, I’m ooking for some 12 bar riff songs. I have All Your Love by John Mayall and Call Me the Breeze by JJ Cale.

I’m starting to play with a group in a picking circle and 12 bar riff songs seems like a good way to get the know the group. They are all much more advanced than me and if I can strum the riff they can improvise with some leads etc.

I thought I saw a list in one of the lessons but I can’t seem to find them.

Thanks

“Stormy Monday” by T-Bone Walker is considered a blues standard. I would definitely be studying this piece. It will give you some great insight into blues playing.
The song was also recorded by Bobby Bland, and the Allman Brothers etc, who popularised the piece with their own variations.
Many other renditions by others as well.

I would start with this excellent in-depth presentation and lesson by Adrian Woodward.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Thanks Shane. I watched the video in it’s entirety, sooo good!! Wayne is excellent!

I love that he keeps referring back to T Bone. I am a strong believer in giving credit and referring back to the original artists.

This is a bit beyond my compentecy level right now as I am 12 months into the journey and a three chord wonder at the moment but I have pinned this at the top of my must learn list!

I will be back to you on this one!

1 Like

How do you get through a whole song using either of these chord variations or just a basic blues shuffle without winding up with Carpel Tunnel?

I can barely make it through Johnny B Goode without my fret hand wrist cramping up, and the song is not even 3 minutes long! How Chuck manage?

How did the early Beatles manage since half of their early songs utilize these rhythm techniques? Do I need to spend a couple years in Hamburg to develop the endurance?