A Capo For Two: Jamming for Beginners

Don’t panic, there is no resource link. It’s just contained in the text below the video lesson. just scroll down.

1 Like

Hello @btabler and welcome to the community.

Your use of the word octave reveals some of your confusion. Octave is a specific gap between two musical places (notes or chords). To play the same chords an octave higher using a capo, you would be going from open chords to placing the capo at fret 12 and playing the exact same chord shapes. 12 frets up all the notes on a guitar neck repeat those that begin with the open strings. The open strings are EADGBE and the notes at fret 12 are EADGBE also.
The capo is not used to play an octave higher on 99.9% of cases. It is used to change key and everything will be higher, but not 12 frets (= 12 semitones) higher. Playing the chords an octave up does not change the key at all so does not benefit the singer. Playing the chords in a higher position (therefore in a different key) will benefit the singer.

There are two basic paths.

Capo path 1
Playing with the same shapes as open chords = playing in a different key up to including capo at fret 11. At fret 12 you reach the octave repeat of the open chords chords.

Capo path 2
Playing in the same key as the open chord progression = capo plus a different set of chord shapes.
@stitch gives an example.
I have a full topic on this path

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

2 Likes

This trick is SOOO awesome! Thanks a lot Justin!

If you are a loner like me, it’s also awesome to record yourself and duet with yourself. I use DAW and it’s loads of fun!

1 Like

I agree. It took me awhile to figure out the sheet is backwards. Where it says “Open Chord Shapes,” I thought that was the shake you used, but it is actually the desired chord. I was going mad before I figured it out.

2 Likes

I may be missing something, but there’s a couple of times with the new update now where I’ve heard Justin mention there are resources for download (like the capo cheat sheet for this lesson, and there was mention of a guitar pro file in one of the previous lessons in this module) but the “Resources” section on the lessons hasn’t been present. I can only see “Learn More”, “Discussion” and “Notes” on this lesson, not the usual “Resources” section to download the capo cheat sheet.

1 Like

Hi Goose/Daniel and welcome

There seems to be a few of these cropping up recently and I know there is certainly a to do list to capture some of the missing material. I would suggest if you discover anymore drop a post here in the Feedback section.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

As a workaround, if you right click on the chart, you can then save the image or copy/paste it into a document.

2 Likes

i sure hope that i am not the only one that cant figure out this chart… maybe someone has a better why of explaining how to use it correctly… thanks

1 Like

The 1st Column is the fret you put the Capo on. The Grey area is the open chord shape that
you would play relative to the capo.

So if you put the capo on the second fret and play an A chord the Chord you are playing
is a G. If you play an A chord the chord you are playing is a B. In other words the capo has
moved all the chords up by a full tone moving all the chords up by one full tone.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community.

Just to reiterate what my esteemed friend Stitch said just in case it’s still clear as mud :wink:

The letters in the white section are the chord shapes your fingers should form, and the letters in the grey (or blue) section are the actual chords tonally speaking that would be sounded. So to use Stitch’s example with the Capo on the 2nd fret, your fingers will play an open G shape but it will sound like an A Major, just a slightly different voicing.

The table is not immediately easy at first look, seems like the majority of us had slight problems, it’s just that there are three factors involved {Capo position, chord shape and actual chord sounded) in a two way table.

I hope between us we’ve made it easier for you
Good luck

2 Likes

thank you Dave… that does help me out… thank you again

1 Like

Great lesson, how frustrating one can’t find how to download the Capo chart!

1 Like

Hi David and Welcome

If you look back up this thread a couple of inches you will see that a chart has been posted by @Stitch. You can save this by right clicking.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Justin, first comment i’m making in your lessons.
I’m playing guitar for about 15 years, I consider myself a intermedian player.
I found your lessons when I decided to bump up my skills, especially on the theory area.
I decide to watch all of your beginner lessons anyway, and make my way through.
Very good decision I made, I have pickup some new things, and this lesson is a great example of that, something that I really never thought about.
Thanks for doing this lessons free, you are a great teacher!
Greetings from Brazil.

1 Like

A great Lesson showing how all the chords are related. I just need to go lie down in a dark room for a while before my brain melts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think im gonna light this lesson on fire and move along.

1 Like

This is the bit that totally confuses me. From the start we have been taught open chords with specific finger placement gives you a particular chord, and now using a capo using the same finger placement gives you a totally different chord. How are we supposed to get this?!!

1 Like

But, the finger placement is not the same in the 2 cases, right? Just consider the low E string. Without the capo the G chord has the E string fretted at fret 3 (a G note). If you now put the capo on 2 and fret a G chord shape, you see that the low E string is fretted on the 5th fret (an A note). All the notes that you played in the G chord without the capo sound 2 frets higher when you play a G chord shape with capo on 2.

1 Like

Perhaps I should have said finger arrangement.

So what you are saying is that the G shape with a capo at 2 becomes an A chord? I’m guessing then that if the capo was at 5 the G shape would be a C chord? Does it matter if you play a 2, 3 or 4 finger G shape?

1 Like

Justin provides this cheat sheet, but it’s only major chords.

Only two songs in my repertoire - Bad Moon Rising and Royals - work with this chart. The others I want to play have minor chords.

I just spent about 10 minutes searching, and found only a few that even listed minor chords, and I am not even sure they are intended for this purpose.

Can anyone point me to a similar cheat sheet? Or does this technique only work for major chords?

1 Like