A Capo For Two: Jamming for Beginners

I’m still kind of confuse with this video. I know that the chords of the open position will be a semitone higher, but Justin hadn’t mentioned it. He had mentioned that chords are above and below, and with deduction he knew it off the bat. 9:35-14:00

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Chrisopher.
What exactly are you having trouble understanding. Do you know the notes on the E A and D strings?

1 Like

Yes welcome Cristopher,
Your query is unclear as to the exact nature of your problem. Many of us have been confused by this lesson but there has been so much advice available if we all clear our minds and scroll up and start again. Try not to over complicate thingd and follow Justin’s bit at the end where we get to experiment. That is where we are free to get it wrong but also learn to get it right.

1 Like

This is what I am planning to do, just struggling with the looper and timing the start and stop :roll_eyes:

1 Like

…in case you have not seen this already. Also, search the Community for “looper” for additional advice.

2 Likes

I have thank you, I am just not quick enough or in time enough yet :rofl:

Justin did let me know where I am supposed to be switching on and off though which really helped because I didn’t know until then.

1 Like

That is over-complicating at this stage. It’s not really bad form, just not the point here. That said, you may wish to do it in addition as a choice.

Done - better late than never.

And @brinkme

I have added a sentence or two above the chart to help.

The exact same shapes moved up with a capo completely change the key - not an octave though unless you go capo at fret 12. The ‘shapes’ are the same but he actual chords being played are all shifted to different chords.
But, by playing the appropriate shapes with the capo at the appropriate fret, you stay in the same key and are just playing the exact same chords with what is called a different voice. Think of two or more singers singing in harmony. They will be singing in the same key. Probably one high and one low. So it is here. One guitar plays chords that are high (the capo guitar) and the other plays low (the no capo guitar).

And at @MartyLee @GraphicGoose too

This lesson doesn’t have any.

Yes. And no.

@Jeff Song title / artist now corrected.

That statement is true, if and only if the capo is placed at fret 1.
It doesn’t really make clear what you are asking.

2 Likes

@miichaelp @Btabler @richardwright @Gertvr @qwerty1928 @SkyBlue @brinkme @regissouza @caseyq @tml6866 @Stuartw @Tbushell @Socio @Fast-Eddie @cpenti @PickNStrum @SteveL_G99 @arsones @ahheffernan @ChasetheDream @ronincd @dave.pritchard101 @VirtualM

If you enjoyed this lesson or you were confused by this lesson and you want some supplementary / complementary lerning then I suggest reading this topic:

1 Like

Hey Stitch, yes, I do. Was very confuse on how Justin was able to identify which chords are it on the fret.

This what Justin said that got me confuse.

We could explore finding where to put the capo and what the chords would be once we put the capo on, so our chords are g c and d

okay so they’re the root notes we’ve got g c and open d now the first one, we’ve got a g chord we know that there’s the root note and the chord
shapes kind of behind so we’re almost certainly remember there was one with the sixth string root with the chord in front

so that means that we can pop a capo on the third fret and we remember that the chord shape with the root note on the thickest string the chord shape above it was e so there we’ve got our g chord now the second chord that we had was a c chord

So now what we need to do is find a c note which the fifth string at the third fret which is under the capo now we can’t play behind the capo obviously so the chord shape that had a root note on the fifth string with the chord shape above was a shape.

1 Like

That’s why I had to ask in this forum. I’m was confused on how he determined the chords by making a deduction of what chords goes for each fret by stating something is front and behind. I did mention it in the time step for people who thought my query was unclear.

1 Like

When he explained behind the chord shape and front of the chord shape is where I’m confused especially figured the chord for a specific fret from that deduction.

9:26
can’t play behind the capo obviously so
9:29
the chord shape that had a root note on
9:31
the fifth string with the chord shape
9:33
above
9:34
was
9:36
a shape

10:09-10:20
we had a chord shape behind which was
10:09
the c shape but that’s not going to work
10:11
because the capo is in the way and if we
10:12
go ahead we’d have a bar chord so
10:15
actually this doesn’t work having the
10:17
capo in the third fret works for two of
10:19
the chords but it doesn’t work

1 Like

[quote=“ronincd, post:76, topic:4159”]

9:26 can’t play behind the capo obviously so

That is self evident. If you fret behind the capo then you are totally missing what the capo does.
The root note is directly under the capo on the 3rd fret of the A string. There is a C major chord with its root note there but it is the open position C major chord that involves open strings and notes fretted at frets 1 and 2. It is an impossible chord with capo at fret 3 due to the capo. Justin mentions it but really it is a non-starter and shouldn’t even enter the thinking.

9:29 the chord shape that had a root note on the fifth string with the chord shape above

Any chord shape you are looking to use must have fretted notes above the capo. There may be one, or maybe more than one, directly under the capo. But certainly not all - do you know an open position chord that you play with all open strings and no fretted notes?
Remember, the capo is basically replacing the nut and moving the ‘open’ strings to a new place where they are higher pitched.

9:34 was a shape

The A shape with capo at fret 2 has two strings not fretted (the A and thin E strings) and three strings fretted two frets above the capo. Exactly as you would play an open position A major chord. And because the capo is at fret 3, the root of this A-shape chord is the note C so the chord is C major.

0:09-10:20 we had a chord shape behind which was the c shape but that’s not going to work because the capo is in the way

Justin has found a chord shape for G major and C major with the capo at fret 3. He is now searching for a D major chord. He found a D root note. In trying to form a C-shape chord he recognises that it would fall behind that root note but reach too far behind as it would require notes that are lower than the capo position of fret 3. It would need both the G and the B string notes from fret 2 and they are impossible. So this shape can not be used for a D major chord.

snd if we 10:12 go ahead we’d have a bar chord so actually this doesn’t work

The point of using the capo at this stage is to find shapes for the chords that do not involve any barre chords at all, only open position chords matching the five CAGED options. With the root note D at fret 5 the C-shape is impossible and the A-shape involves a barre. The G-shape, E-shape and D-shape chords are way out of reach much higher up the neck. Justin has explored all possible open chord shapes for that D major chord and none work with capo at fret 3.

having the capo in the third fret works for two of the chords but it doesn’t work

It does not allow a D major chord using an open position shape chosen from one of the five CAGED shapes. Justin is seeking a fret position for the capo where ALL and not just some of hos three chords can be made using open shapes. So fret 3 fails the test.

1 Like

Great lesson!! I really love the way Justin connected grips using and moving the capo to the CAGED shapes! I’ve played using a capo and used common grips to get the cords I needed, but they were already figured for me by someone else. I had never put the knowledge of capo location together with CAGED shapes! :bulb: :bulb: moment for me!! Now I have the tools to place my capo anywhere on the neck, find my root notes and from there figure out my major, minor and 7 chords! Great stuff!!

2 Likes

I know this is a broader question but tbushell mentioned finding songs in his repertoire that use certain cords. What is your source for your repertoire? Justins song books? Ultimate Guitar?
I see many songs in the Justin App but every time I look at Ultimate Guitar, its very different. Uses cords I’ve not yet learned.
Any suggested source?

1 Like

It’s very difficult to beat Justin’s songs books. I’ve been playing for over twelve years now with Justin and still look to his songs books for ideas on new songs to learn. They also have songs for different stages of learning so there should be something for everyone.

UG would be my other go to resource and you’ll often see multiple versions of the same song. UG is definitely for someone slightly more experienced but is a great free resource.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I have all of Justin’s song books apart from the Aussie Song Book and they are fantastic accompanied with his song lesson videos.

1 Like

But don’t forget in a lot of cases they are simplified to get you going. That is why you will find difference to what Justin presents in the BSB 1 & 2 for example and the same songs in UG,
The BSB and Rock songbook are still great resources and will soon have you playing.
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks all. I’ll check out Justin’s Song books.

1 Like

What’s the F shaped Chord that Justin has written in the table? This?

That is a FM7 because the e string is open. Which add the M7 to the chird. It’s also not common to play the A string open but not wrong.

The F barre chord is an E shaped chord barred at the first fret. There is no chord called an F shaped chord as far as I know. Where did you hear about an F shaped chord?

1 Like