A little blues

Thanks John - It’s not a song that comes up very often. The Kingfish live version is the one that first piqued my interest, although there’s a great version by Leo Bud Welch - who sounds like a fascinating guy and gives me hope as he started his recording career aged 82!

I’m very late on this one, again like Willsie I don’t know how I missed it, I’m usually straight in if I see Blues in the title!
That was a very nice performance and a thoughtful addition by adding the tutorial. I don’t think you should worry too much about timing issues with Blues, it’s really a quite loose genre as regards timing. The essence you have to observe playing Blues is simple really - Does it sound good and does it have feel? On both counts to me it satisfies that criteria. Well done, oh and Tele’s are great for playing Blues, my preferred instrument too. The only thing I would have tried (not having listened to the original yet) would have pushed the amp a bit more to verging on breakup; but that’s a personal preference!

1 Like

Thanks Darrell - I do tend to play very clean and dry (this one is very unusual as I put a tiny hint of reverb on the guitar on post production). Because I default to clean and dry, I don’t think about my sound as much as I should, so this is a timely reminder to do that!

1 Like

It’s always worth a try, Peter Green is a great example of playing pretty clean, so many people who try to play his solos go just the opposite to you, they use too much gain. It’s very subtle but what you get is a warmth rather than breakup. It’s always better played through a valve amp but it’s not a necessity, I don’t currently have a valve amp but have GAS for a Bugerra infinitum 5W head which is an A class all valve amp.

1 Like

I’ve got a very nice Mesa but these days I rarely use it as it needs to be quite loud get the benefit. Most of the time its a Spark mini or Quad Cortex. This recording used the QC.

1 Like