A special kind of "closed" Open Mic Holiday Special: When?

David I should clarify, any of the dates are ok for me. Not so easy for the family to visit us at Christmas anymore so it will be just me and the Mrs. So no weeks of preparation for the run in.

I leave this in :rofl:

Will correct typos later it is blowing a gale down by the river and speech to text is proving a little bit coronavirus that will be erroneous see what I mean. :cyclone:

Very much interested in this @LievenDV !
Out of the options presented I think weekend of 10th December would be best but I would think I could make any of them work fine.

1 Like

Hi everyone. I would like to participate as a performer for the Holiday Special. I can be available for it, December 3 or 10. December 17 availability is more uncertain at this point. Iā€™ll leave the platform choosing criteria to the most knowledgeable on the pros and cons of the options.

1 Like

My two or Fiddy cents:

I regard all of us as squatters in Justinā€™s fine house and as long as we donā€™t make too much of a mess, heā€™s good with us doing our own thing. Every so often we have an open mic party in one of the unused rooms, which are good fun, and he occasionally attends.
He now feels like inviting us to another get-together in a different room. He and his team are going to provide the sound system/organization. Do we want to come? I sure do.
Change and new experiences are good :smiley:

Practicalities:
Itā€™s pointless asking folk which dates theyā€™d prefer in the run up to Christmas. Everyone has different commitments. He should just pick a weekend evening he can commit to and go with that.
ā€œBuild it and they will come.ā€ :smiley:

I think @DavidP , @LievenDV or @Richard_close2u should take the lead on this one, liaising with Justin on format, performers, technicalities etc.
We should keep ā€˜Cassandraā€™ levels to a minimum. (Itā€™s Justinā€™s living, not ours :wink:)
@TheMadman_tobyjenner, I know all OMs are close to your heart and you put more work into them than most, but you should take a Zen breath and just enjoy being the rock star you are. Let others worry about the m&msā€¦

Oh yeah, regarding ā€˜festive themesā€™-
(We havenā€™t even started burning effigies of catholic seditionists yet :roll_eyes:)
I subscribe to ā€˜Bah! Humbugā€™ monthly and would prefer if performers restricted themselves to visual rather than aural Christmas celebrations. (Unless of course of the depressing/humourous kind).
I think I found a song last night that nobody will know and I can inappropriately butcher.
Thunderbirds are GO! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

All cool with me Brian as it gives me a breather but experience tells me these things can catch up pretty quick, if you donā€™t have your stuff together. The offer was to mitigate that and not block a move the the penthouse.

As to themes, with you on that bro. :bahamas: :bug:

:sunglasses:

1 Like

you Ebenezer Scrooge, :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes
3 Likes

He glides into your mind with a sunny ā€œHello!ā€

This is A Quote from the song,ā€¦ wouldnā€™t you say that from most of this gentlemanā€™s music choice :joy:,ā€¦And not allowed to play Christmas songs actually,ā€¦as I read it,ā€¦Justin just had a nice cherry song from ā€¦HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMASā€¦well then I wonā€™t do that song :sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been wracking my brain as Brian did drop the hint of visual Christmas celebrations (possibly dressing up as Santa or an Elf) and it got me thinking with his bah humbug remark of maybe heā€™ll do a cover of the Amatuer Transplants cover of All I want for christmas :thinking:

4 Likes

I wonā€™t be a part of this event, Iā€™m lucky to get in a few hours of study/exploration/practice/playing/recording each week as it is, and seem to have lost any slice of ham in me that I may have had previously, but wanted to say a few words about it anyway.

Good to see another OM using StreamYard. The overall quality is much better than zoom, and a better ā€œgreen roomā€ experience as well, IMO. I hope this becomes a reality. itā€™s such an excellent and unique opportunity. There doesnā€™t appear to be anything like it in any other online guitar community. Hats off to Justin and the mod gang for putting this together.

Go for it friends, I know you will all do great! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Youā€™re onto something James, he did like your post :laughing:

3 Likes

Iā€™m brand new here, but would be able to join in as I understand it, December 10th, and 17th. Iā€™m still trying to figure out how this all works. Iā€™ve been with JG for about 1.5 years, and really enjoy the platform!

Thanks,

Todd Pschierer
Rochester, NY

2 Likes

I agree 100%

Choose a date and go for it. Iā€™ll be in if the date works!

1 Like

This is a cool idea. I see it as a way for the community to ā€œgive backā€ to Justin and the team showcasing what has been learned through their content.
Now, the Christmas theme can be a bit tricky, Iā€™d suggest letting people perform festivity tunes if they wish, or other songs if theyā€™re not comfortable with it. Thatā€™s just my 2 cents of course.
Iā€™d be willing to wreck a song if itā€™s not the weekend of the 10th, of course like itā€™s been said the team should pick a date and folks will sign up.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Lost me pal ?

No performance from me for this one. Iā€™ll join the audience if Iā€™m free on the date.

1 Like

Iā€™m all for it! Still just in the audiencešŸ˜Š

1 Like

Cassandra was blessed with the gift of foresight but cursed that no one would believe her (Because she refused Apolloā€™s advances or somethingā€¦)

2 Likes

Nothing to do with Rodney then ? :rofl:

1 Like

You know it makes sense Toby

3 Likes