A special kind of "closed" Open Mic Holiday Special: When?

I know loads of people are techs here (myself included)… I think you’d have a hard time with Google Meet and an OM like event, the way we run them with Zoom. Meet runs through the browser, it’s just not going to have the native hardware interaction to the quality of Zoom “Original Sound” across all platforms.

Anyway though. I’m looking forward to the event, eagerly awaiting the date announcement :smiley:

1 Like

That hasn’t been my experience. Browsers have had pretty advanced built-in support for audio streaming for quite some time now through the Web Audio API and WebRTC.

The “original sound” option on Zoom is, basically, turning off the echo cancellation. Meet has a similar option. Rather than being something that’s difficult to achieve, it actually reduces the load on the computer.

Meet also uses an audio sample rate of 48kHz, whilst Zoom is limited to 32kHz.

Bear in mind Google Meet evolved from the old “Hangouts On Air” livestreaming system which, back in the day, was used by quite a few musical artistes for launching new albums on (including our own Justin’s We Came As Strangers)

What I don’t know about is how easily Meet interfaces with things like OBS on Windows and Mac. I have only ever used it for music on Linux where I have used the JACK for audio routing, with Jack bridging to Pulseaudio to connect it to the browser.

Cheers,

Keith

Keith

Saw your comment and hit Google. Pulled up this short video but likely to be more out there. Early doors here and just off out so not tested but looks pretty straight forward.
Might have a tinker later.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

A quick play and OBS to Meet would appear ok but not tested audio and as you can see may need a tweak or two on the visuals ! :rofl:

Is my video mirrored in Google Meet?

Google Meet applies a mirror filter to the camera feed by default. The image you see is mirrored but your call attendees will see the image the correct way around.

1 Like

Well that is just plain freaky.

1 Like

OK all looks easy to set up with an OBS feed (with audio from Reaper) using Virtual Cables but as yet I am not receiving audio in Google Meet. Tried setting Google Meet up without OBS, can get audio but it is saying all of my webcams (x3) are offline. But all 3 visible in OBS when it was running. May need a reboot. Meet can see the Virtual Cable as a mic source as Zoom but at the moment no sound. Mmmm better check Zoom as well. :scream:

One observation, there is no recording facility unless you pay for at minimum, the Business Standard package (and that has a 150 participant ceiling). No great shakes for an event, assuming you have the right package but you cannot set up a “self meeting” and record it to check levels, as you can with Zoom.

No criticism, just observations but I would suggest if you go the Google route, a set up guide is provided for performers and audience.

Tick tock

1 Like

Just in case anyone else is experimenting with Meet, I finally got it to recognise my camera using this “fix”

More details on “Camera Failed” in this article.

I’ll tshoot the OBS/Virtual Cable/Meet audio problem later.

Hi David,… @DavidP
O Brother where art thou ?
Rogier,… :sunflower:

Just to confirm, after a lot of messing about I got Meet working with Audio and Video direct and eventually the same with OBS->Meet (I took Reaper out of the equation to replicate what most of our OBS users would do).

Could not check levels, as there is no audio feed back and as I said recording is a premium feature. But the mic graphic indicated some sort of signal.

Suggest a soundcheck period will definitely be needed prior to kick off with Meet but aside from the no video aspect, looks ok - assuming the mic activity wasn’t just static :rofl:

Before anyone spends hours and hours I think that it will not be hosted on Meet.
Best wait for confirmation.

1 Like

Aw Richard you spoilsport-
He was going to have to come up for air sooner or later :rofl:

3 Likes

If you have a tried and tested solution why change it ? Simples.

Ah but after 4 decades shuffling IT :poop: I like a challenge, keeps the brain ticking, even if we stick to a format we know that works. But heck isn’t it good we good round and round these circles before ending up where we started ? Hark, was that Rodney calling someone ?
:angel:

1 Like

100%

Didn’t want to bang on about Google meet too much but in using it sometimes for work it seems a lot worse than Zoom or even Microsoft Teams

Really?

I’ve used Meet almost daily across several accounts for a number of years now (and for almost 10 years if you consider Hangouts which it evolved from) and always found it to work very well.

I have used Zoom extensively since 2019, using it almost ever day for several months. I found Zoom to be mostly reliable but a bit flakey on occasion, as well as being a bit of a pain when you need to use it with different accounts (something I need to do).

I was on a Zoom call yesterday and it kept dropping my audio device and eventually lost all audio until I restarted the Zoom app and logged back in. That’s unusual, but it’s not the first time it’s happened to me on different laptops.

Zoom also seems to use a lot of resources: on my brand new laptop, it complains if I’m running a web browser and Outlook at the same time as it.

Teams… Isn’t great. I was using it almost daily for around 6 months until very recently. Almost everyone I know complains about it.

Cheers,

Keith

Edit: this is getting quite a bit off topic. Maybe it needs to be moved to it’s own thread.

Different experiences, perspectives, opinions. I agree it’s a bit off topic now.

Thanks for thinking along and sharing your experiences guys!
Some you really jumped on it :smiley:

Lieven I like to hedge my bets. Done Zoom, done Streamyard. I’d not want to turn up on the day if invited and not having tested a proposed platform like Meet. But heck might just have it working if its ever needed. Plus others may benefit from the trial and error. Open mind.

@roger_holland I’m here, brother. Had a busy work week and Sat, so slowly getting myself caught up, and checking in over here.

I see talk of Google Meets is bubbling. I’ve done a test meeting with my son, using OBS. It worked fine though had to fiddle with turning monitoring on and off in OBS to get audio working via the usual virtual cable. No issues with the virtual camera. And my son said the audio quality was fine, without worrying about echo cancellation.

As far as I know JustinGuitar has a suitable license to enable recording. This may be an option for the future.

As far as I understand the date is set to be Dec 10th.

I suggest we focus on the Open Mic scheduled for next Sat 19th and then go into overdrive to arrange the Community Holiday Season evening, an Open Mic with a few extras … like Justin.

We’ll also confirm the platform and those other details once all agreed.

7 Likes