Adi_mrok's Learning Log

You’ve got a lot of tunes in your repertoire, Adrian, and some decently complicated ones too! Great start on More Than Words. I love when people share their learning process, it’s interesting to see similarities too. And you gotta love Justin’s voice at 75% and 50% lol

1 Like

Thanks Mari, yes the repertoire built up pretty quickly!

Haha yes glad someone picked up on it as well, cracks me up every time :rofl:

1 Like

I love your video Adrian, thanks for letting us in to your practice time. I too use the ‘drunken Justin’ YT tutoring :crazy_face: Your set up and the plans you have for it will certainly make things easier for you and your wife. How’s her drumming going?

Hi Adrian.
Just watched through the last open mic session this morning.
And there you were doing Society!!
Just have to say that it sounded awsome! Your voice fitted that perfectly. The solo was spot on. I had a couple of hours practise this solo, but i had to put it aside for now😁

Really well done, sounded super cool :+1:

Hi Maggie thanks for nice comment! My wife’s drumming goes slowly, she enjoys it a lot but dedicates a lot less time than I do to guitar but hey, it’s a marathon not a sprint as long as she is having fun that’s the most important thing :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you Trond so nice of you to listen to last OM. I messed up so many times which chord I was supposed to play but hey, as long as I haven’t stopped that’s what matters and probably not many realized :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Its not an easy piece you did playing it like that. It sounded ace
Really did the song justice!!

1 Like

Can’t ever recalling spotting a flub watching you play, Adrian … generally what you play is probably currently above my own play-grade and the songs usually new to me, so you’re pretty safe if you keep playing, keep smiling, and say nothing after.

Looking good! Love the Una Mattina on electric guitar!

1 Like

Thank you David you are too kind my friend! I guess you are correct we became self obsessed about mistakes whereas for someone who doesn’t know the song they are not so obvious. It’s a thing worth keeping in mind.

@EndlessRepetition thanks for the listen, glad you liked my take and that you know the piece! :blush:

1 Like

Okay so time for a little throwback to my past after recent visit in my hometown. I found some cool photos from my childhood to show when it all began (well only sort of :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) and I brought finally over my old gear! So happy old gear day to me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

As you can see I dreamt about playing since I can remember, photo taken were with my first small guitar which was always detuned. I remeber it had metal strings and I must have damaged the peg straight after getting it as all photos had it missing… from my vague memory I don’t think I was able to turn the peg at all, I believe it was wooden but still very strange that it had metal strings!

I attempted to play before I turned 9 years old I think and gave up after a week or so - my godfather was and is a terrible man and was even a worse teacher so it hugely demotivated me from any playing. When my father learnt some open chords he had shown them to me, I learnt some over simplified songs he knew like Doesn’t Remind Me by Audioslave or Jesus Don’t Want Me for a Sunbeam by Nirvana and I gave it another go in my teens including some lessons with my goddather again. I lasted a bit longer and I got myself an amplifier which was worth around £20 and a cheapest electric guitar which wasn’t worth more than £60.

Now they are over here with me - amp I gave up to my wife who is planning to use it for her edrums, electric guitar will be my little project to learn how to maintain a guitar. In my actual one I need to replace a pickup as copper is coming out of it and what better way to learn it than on guitar I don’t use anymore? It was horrible btw, never hold tuning properly and action was really high. Hey maybe I will learn how to sort it out after all? :wink:

My brother also had a brief adventure with a guitar. He went over to a proper music school and had a really good teacher. He was playing a classical guitar as a young boy and unfortunately he never graduated and his lessons were abruptly cancelled by his teacher who had some personal issues in his marriage and cancelled lessons every week. Eventually my parents gave up and so did my brother but guitar stayed and was borrowed for years to some girl who used to learn at my mum’s school. Recently my mum got it back and didn’t have anything she could do with it so asked me if I want it - well answer was obvious wasn’t it? :rofl: and now I have this little Classical guitar kids size which can also be fun - especially when something more classical will come to my mind again. The model is Hohner HC03, not sure if it’s even worth anything.

So my collection grew a bit now which warms my heart, still on my list is to own a Les Paul one day but first in line are some works around the house to do! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Love those pictures, Adrian … dreaming of rock stardom at an early age, now living the dream. So far just the Community OM but with enough nagging and cajoling eventually you get tired of us enough to just go to a local OM to shut us up :laughing:

Good plan to take care of the strat. You can go a long way and there are (as always) folk here to help you through even a full replacement of the electronics.

1 Like

Awesome photos Adrian, I wish I had photos of my first guitar! It’ll be fun for you to have a guitar you can pull apart and test now too.

1 Like

Thanks David yes for sure I will be asking questions regarding Strat! Noy only about electronics but also the finish and even adjustments to be made or cleaning and fixing fretboard which has stains after being for years in a garage. Not sure if it is saveable but hey I treat it as a good body to experiment on :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: in terms of local OM - we will see about that :rofl:

Thank you @Mari63 I believe I have some more photos and definitely some video footage but my last trip wasn’t long enough to go through the footage, I plan to spend some more time there over for Christmas so that will be some good time for memories to be rediscovered :grin:

1 Like

Wonderful update Adi.

From the early photos of the aspiring child, to the accomplished young man, we see before us now. You could say they were poles apart :rofl: You’ve come a long way both geographically and musically.

Thanks for sharing.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Toby haha great pun made me laugh :rofl: indeed it was quite a journey geographically and musically speaking but totally worth it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice story with cool pictures Adrian :+1:

1 Like

Hi Adrian,
Nice pictures from the old box. You look like a happy boy,…who, as we read, also had to go through some s***… nice of you to share this :sunglasses:

Have fun not trying to wreck that old guitar :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Greetings

1 Like

Long overdue update peeps, but with all the new gear that has finally arrived I am super excited about this LL entry! :grin::grin::grin:

In my last 2.5 years I haven’t bought a lot for some - 1 new electric, 1 new amp, 1 used acoustic and 2 beat up guitars I brought from home which were 1000 miles away from me literally :grinning: and also some smaller gadgets, but now it is time for me to brag :grinning:

So let’s start with first two - I finally upgraded my Katana to a proper 100 MKII and I also went nuts and got myself GA-FC! Man this is really cool, now I don’t have to bother changing effects off my laptop, it is so much easier especially if I have a song where I am changing my tone! Here is the pic:

On a separate picture as it arrived just now I got myself a looper! I think by end of the year or so I will hit a pause on song learning and I will try to focus more on improvising again. Perhaps I will have a song in the background I will play around with that will improve my electric guitar skill but I want to improve other aspects of my play and use some theory and apply it while practicing. And btw @Socio have I picked what you thought I will? :grinning:

And now the main event - a new guitar! I always assumed I am a strat type of guy. I was raised on music such as Nirvana or RHCP and both of lead players played Strat so inspiration clearly comes from there :grinning: but now I have 2 strats (1 still damaged as home improvements are not leaving me much time to DIY with guitars) I wanted something new and Les Pauls have something in their design that attracted my look. Therefore here it is…

In a box like a coffin…

With another box, a proper one :grinning:

There was a case… which I didn’t expect at all :rofl:

But within you can find this…

So here is my full collection (for now!) Plan is to now sell guitars first if I want new ones, after all my tiny room won’t host more :rofl: unless my wife gives me a green light to hang one in the living room once I complete a refurb… (one day) :rofl:

Guitar sounds amazing btw, really enjoy it. I had some reservations in the music store, sliding felt really uncomfortable and was burning my fingertips, I think it was on a display for a long time and strings were definitely in a bad shape, but also fretboard seemed a bit neglected and dry. So they sent me one from the warehouse and it plays like a dream. Action is so low wow I need to relearn how to play, messed up the riff badly while testing it :rofl: also strings seem thinner like a 9 or 9.5, possibly will upgrade to 10 like on my strat.

Practice routine:

• Songs songs songs again, but as mentioned above I need to improve my practical application of theory so probably for some forseeable future I might deep my toes into muddy waters of improvs :grinning: TBC!

Songs I know and work on:

Open Mic performances:

9 Likes

Happy NGD Adi :+1:

Nice thick tones from those humbuckers :ok_hand:

Have fun with the new amp too :grin:

I’m trying out Child In Time as a looped vamp to solo practice over. Stay tuned.

1 Like