Alberta - Eric Clapton unplugged

@stitch
Thanks so much Rick. You’ll have noticed I used some of the Layla licks in there to get me from one pattern to the next. Problem is I can never remember which pattern is called which! :smiley:

@skinnyt
Thanks for the listen and kind comments Trevor, much appreciated.

@adi_mrok
I’m glad you think each video is an improvement on the last Adrian. I sometimes look at the old ones and wonder if anything is improving!:smiley:
I’m pleased you liked the solo and how it transitioned in and out of the strumming part. Thanks for your support.

1 Like

Haha, I leave it for one day and the switchboard is crammed with swooning fans! :rofl:
… and deservedly so, my good man!
I know the feeling of churning out what feels like the same level stuff all the time, but believe me there is improvement in most of your songs and a significant one in this.
Try to imagine yourself say two years ago watching this performance: a well-programmed backing track, laid back singing to swinging strums and a wonderfully crafted solo thrown in.
Dude is complaining it took three takes! :roll_eyes:
You may have temporarily snookered yourself however, as it might take a wee while to surpass this one :rofl:
Go pour yourself a midday-dram :sunglasses: :guitar: :champagne:

4 Likes

Great performance Gordon. I enjoyed the chilled out vibes of your playing and vocals, plus the little solo was great. Awesome all round!

1 Like

That was awesome, Gordon, I loved it. Solo was great, nice to be playing over a backing track too. You’ve inspired me to check out this song to add it to my list for a campfire thing I hope to be playing at in June :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The pattern names will work themselves out and really aren’t that important. The important thing is you’re hearing where you want to go and having fun. Your ears and fingers are on the same page. Giving a nice flow to your playing.

2 Likes

Great job Gordon! You’ve got solid rhythm, something that took me quite a long time to get down. I enjoyed your performance. And BTW, if you mess up (we all do on occasion) don’t worry as most people won’t even notice, and those that do mostly won’t care because they’re enjoying the song even with mistakes. As for me, I didn’t notice any mistakes the first time I listened. Then I decided to listen closely and noticed one minor, very short mistake, which is still excellent! I enjoyed listening the 2nd time too. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

@jkahn
Thanks JK, I appreciate the listen and comment. It’s not so much the practice with the solo it’s more finding what works and then remembering it and repeating it. I used to think an improvisation was as the word implies, you made it up as you went along. That’s not the case. Yes you make it up but then you learn it and repeat it.

@batwoman
Thanks so much for the support Maggie. I always love your words of support. In this case, swing, musically, spellbound. Did Maggie Bad enjoy it too?

@SgtColon
Glad you enjoyed the song Stefan. Thanks for the mellow vibes!

1 Like

Great performance Gordon! I really liked your vocals and of course the beautiful guitar solo!

Mike

1 Like

Gordon, where are we now? Double album, entering a triple one?

But seriously, you are going from good to great. Consistent progress on your side is really a motivation. You never stop having fun but at the same time you keep pushing yourself and putting yourself in the spotlight by regularly posting it here. You got me singing along!

EDIT:
The best part of your videos is the fact that you always finish with a smile on your face. That has really become your signature!

1 Like

Oh yes indeed, she thought your playing was simultaneously super cool and hot :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

@Rossco01
Thanks Jason. Thanks as always for the listen and support. Glad you thought the mix levels were good. It’s a bit hit or miss when recording straight onto the phone.

@crocodile1
Thanks Leo. I loved your definition of “roughness”. :ok_hand:

@brianlarsen
Glad you enjoyed it Brian. You’re right of course, we are our own worst critics and it’s easy to feel that progress is not happening as we would like. Yes, a couple of years ago I couldn’t have imagined creating a backing track and combining a solo with my strumming/singing.
As for snookering myself, I’ll happily stay next to this corner pocket for a while and try to improve on the things I’ve learnt so far.
Thanks for the listen and support. It means a lot.

Mid-day dram!! Well it’s after 5pm somewhere in the world so……:smiley:

Great job!

1 Like

Wow!!!
What a supercool performance Gordon!
Some of you had me redefined my opinion on Clapton.
Great job Gordon, hats off :grin:

1 Like

@Dro_1
Glad you enjoyed it Sandro. Thanks for the support.

@Mari63
Thanks so much Mari. Yes, since you’re from Alberta this would make a great song to add to your campfire repertoire. I hope it goes well and you’ll tell us about it. I’m pleased to have inspired you. :smiley:

@Just_Dan
Yes, the trick is to play on through the mistakes. I laughed to myself when you said you heard a mistake on your second listen. Please don’t listen a third time….:smiley:. Thanks for taking time to listen and comment. Much appreciated.

@MikeSebastianP
I’m pleased you enjoyed it Mike. To be complimented by someone like yourself who has produced so many terrific solo/collaborations here means a lot.

@glpguitar
Hey Luka. Thanks for the listen and support, much appreciated. Haha yes, you’re still on my list to receive a signed copy! As I’ve said before, the smile at the end is the easy bit.
Are coming up to Arran this year for a walking holiday?

@GDPiper169
Thanks Gregory. I appreciate the listen and support.

@tRONd
Thanks Trond. I appreciate your kind comments.
Yes Clapton is a terrific player and has quite a few facets. I went off him for a while after he walked off stage at a concert I was at because of a technical issue with the sound. But there is no denying his talent.

1 Like

Gordon I’m pretty sure that’s @stitch from Alberta, I’m 3 provinces east in Ontario. I actually always say Northwestern Ontario because Toronto may be the only Ontario city people are familiar with and I’m nowhere near Toronto. Toronto is 1300 km away, and NWO has a very different vibe!

1 Like

@Mari63
So much for my Canadian geography. :smiley:
I think when I did ‘Four Strong Winds’ which mentions Alberta you commented that it was an unofficial anthem in Canada. I must have had you in Alberta in my mind.

1 Like

Canada is a big country Gordon so we’ll forgive you for not knowing Canadian geography. I’m in southern Alberta about 2000km from Mari. I live about 1000km from the Pacific Ocean and Mari lives about 4100km for the farthest point on the Atlantic Ocean. In comparison Paris to Moscow is about 2800km

2 Likes

Geography is confusing ! I mean if British Honduras (now Belize) is in South America, how did British Columbia end up in Canada ? Did it hitch a ride or something ? Toronto has a Seattle Tower and Seattle has a Toronto Tower. No wonder I flunk the subject !!
:rofl:

2 Likes

It’s Captain James Cooks fault not to be confused with Captain James T Kirk another famous Canadian explorer :laughing:

3 Likes