Alberta - Eric Clapton unplugged

I thought I’d try this one from the EC unplugged album.
The original doesn’t really have a guitar solo in it, it’s a Chuck Leavell piano solo so I thought I’d have free range. However singing, strumming and then trying to put in a solo stretched me a lot! :woozy_face:
Backing beat created with Trio+ using my electric.

I have to confess this is take 3.
Take 1 the solo was better but I was so relieved when it was over that I then sang the wrong verse and played the wrong chords.
Take 2 I messed up the solo totally.
I could definitely improve on take 3 but thought I’d post it and see what you all thought as I really don’t have the patience to keep at it until take 20!:smiley:

26 Likes

I’m gone man, solid gone. A midday Wednesday Warble, that was great Gordon. Loved the style of the vocals and the passion and expression you put into them. Priceless !! Relax strumming, solid timing end to end. Nice clean solo to boot. What’s not to like, an absolute cracker.

Keep bring the joy.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Grooving hard there Gordon, terrific stuff. Loved your free feeling vocals with that and the solo sounded great.
:clap:

1 Like

That was fabulous, Gordon, loved the dynamics in the singing, a tasty solo, and you’re pretty darn solid with the Trio and guitar now. Lots to love.

1 Like

HI Gordon… :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bouquet:
Wow…what a great performance that was…cheerful, powerful, varied…really great fun to listen to and watch…That solo was great in this too…a lot of people are going to like this :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

:joy: :joy: :joy:
if i had to give you a pound for every time something like this happens to me…you could buy a lot more of nice guitar stuff :see_no_evil:
Thanks for this lovely performance…
Greetings …

2 Likes

That was fantastic Gordon. I can still remember the first time I heard this song, it was on the morning of the 25 May 2022. When I saw your post pop up I had to listen straight away with the song still fresh in my head. You did the song justice; your vocals were top notch, the solo was superb and your strumming and rhythm was as solid as always. You have come along way on your guitar journey and look forward to seeing where it takes you next.

1 Like

Gordon, that was just bloody great!

Swingin rhythm, top work on the solo, and your vocals, which are always great, had that extra punch in them which was brilliant !
It’s almost midnight here. Must have forgotten the time, as I turned the volume right up after the second bar. I was gettin right into it.
( If the neighbours come knockin, they can discuss any issues with Marley, my Wolfhound :sweat_smile:)

Crackin job Gordon. Keep em comin.:+1:

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

That was really nice! Well played, well choreographed, well sung.

I didn’t get to watch your hand playing as I listened in the car, but it was as good as any radio for the commute!

I did glance at the screen at a red light and the Bluetooth delay on the car stereo made your facial expression completely incongruous with what I was hearing!:rofl:

1 Like

Always love your videos Gordon. Good honest playing and singing. You did a great job on the singing and playing, your soloing is coming along really well. Nicely done.

1 Like

Cracking job Gordon. Thought the vocals were first class. Not too much to improve on.

1 Like

Gordon Gordon, where this cover has been hiding away? Smashed it, crushed it and owned it, fabulous! Running all around the fretboard as well, I think the way you transitioned from rhythm to lead was superbly timed. You are getting better and better with every video I watch of yours, bravo!

1 Like

That was great. What a groove, and the solo - must have taken quite a bit of practice!

1 Like

Love your attitude Gordon and I love what you’ve done with this song. There’s a swing and a musicality that runs through all the layers of this recording. Stretching yourself as you’ve done has produced a performance that keeps me here spellbound.

1 Like

Way to own it Gordon. That was fantastic and super cool, with a laid back groove. The solo was stomping as well.

I loved it. Mellow vibes to you. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Great going Gordon. You got the mix between guitar, backing and vocal spot on. Song sounded really good and real toe tapper. Solo was spot on and worked well.

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Thanks Toby. A Wednesday warble…. love it. When I pressed the red button I had hoped to do a one take Wednesday but as I explained that was not to be. Strumming, singing, playing a solo, too many things to go wrong!
Thanks for your support as always.

@Notter
Thanks Mark. Haha ‘free flowing vocals’. Winging it a bit would be more accurate :smiley:
Thanks for the listen and comment.

@DavidP Glad you enjoyed the performance, thanks for the listen and comments. The Trio part could have been better. The song has no chorus or bridge so I just made one backing track and repeated it six times. I should have made an intro and an outro verse.

2 Likes

In which case Gordon I say carry on winging it!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@roger_holland
Thanks Rogier. I’m glad you sympathise with my solo issue. I found that the most stressful part of the whole thing.
I knew I could do it but I was thinking about it as it was approaching and then as I said earlier I played what I thought was the best version I had ever done and then took my eye off the ball and messed up the next verse so I deleted take 1.
With hindsight I wish I’d kept it. I could have analysed it and perhaps learned something.

1 Like

Gordon,
that was a great take #3.
there is no need to change anything.
and some “roughness” is a sign of naturalness and high class, like knots on a wooden surface or insect bite marks on natural leather.
Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

@Socio
Thanks so much James. I’m glad you think I’ve improved as my guitar journey continues. Sometimes I feel that’s the case, other times I feel stuck in a roundabout, repeating things and not really getting anywhere.

@sclay
Wow Shane I don’t want to be responsible for any midnight neighbourhood fall outs! I’m glad you and Marley (does he have dreadlocks?) enjoyed the song. Thanks for the support.

@Jamolay
What’s happening out there? Now I’m responsible for taking folks attention off the road!:joy:Drive safely! Thanks for the listen Joshua.