Any record collectors on here?

You forgot about my '68 Camero with the Chevy 327/350 HP small block engine, Toby!!! I could lay rubber in all 4 gears, baby!!! God I miss that car!!!

Saw a Beautifully restored Anglia here in Albuquerque last summer… made me want to track one down & restore it - until I found out how much the guy had to pay for a new electrical system!

Tod

1 Like

LOL, I keep telling my son “Do NOT give away my vinyl when I kick off! Some of it’s worth serious money!”

2 Likes

I still have one of these, along with the amp, CD player & speakers!! Not all connected up though.

2 Likes

I sold my record player for 4 times what I paid for it !?!

Reminds me my mum has heaps of 1st issue Beatles and picture disks etc…

Ee gads a 69 SS Camaro was my all time favourite US muscle car.

But in the UK we had what we had. And despite my affinity with 32Bs I’d always go for a 34 Tudor.

My first motor was a 69 Sunbeam Imp Sport a bit like this

But mine was a bit shoddy. Don’t stack against those Stateside motahs !

2 Likes

Way COOL! so many righteous cars & guitars!
Not enough time to drive & play 'em all!!!

Tod

As a teen in the `70s the bulk of my music collection was on cassettes as they were more portable and the deal from Columbia House for tapes was better than it was for records. The few records I did have were poached from my older sister. I abandoned tape as soon as CDs became a thing and haven’t looked back since. Like everyone else, I converted to digital and after ripping my collection to FLAC it now lives in a storage locker I visit two or three times a year.

2 Likes

Never got to buy the American dream motors, as back then it was all about the bikes.

I bought myself a record player back in 2016 and started collecting vinyl’s again but they have now priced me out of the market, so I’ve switched to second hand CD’s.

1 Like

I’m convinced that folk who buy vinyl are really into their music.
I’m also convinced that the vast majority of them consume most of that music in digital format but buy the vinyl for a wide range of reasons, with ‘higher quality sound’ being towards the bottom of that list.
If you enjoy supporting a band by buying their merch, owning something ‘unique’, collecting, reading sleeve notes and looking at artwork in your hand rather than on a screen, and the ritual of putting a record on a turntable, then vinyl is probably for you.
I ripped my CD collection (1990-2010) to my pc years ago and keep them up in the attic for whenever the internet and spotify die, so I’ll still have a decent selection of music to enjoy :smiley:

4 Likes

I just found a record the other day that someone was throwing away. When I looked at it it was rare album, at least here I the us. It’s a Beatles album but is a British release. So I guess I saved it from the landfill to let it live another day.

6 Likes

Great save Jeff.
While I don’t collect records. I do have that one. And the next one, and the next one, and the next one. All on the parlophone label. Some of the singles and EP’s (extended play, 2 cuts on a side, on a 45rpm record) too. Then the ones after Parlophone too, but on the Apple label.
It was just what I was listening to back in the day. + there was a real cool record store/head shop in my city where you could get near any record ya wanted.

Now a days, my record player don’t work. :frowning: Really gotta get that fixed or replaced.

Ya can see why several songs I’ve posted up here are Beatle Songs.
I’m still infatuated.
‘When I’m 64’ :wink:

3 Likes

That’s pretty cool Jeff! Do do own/have access to a working turntable?

Tod

I do and this plays perfect no skips and sound great

1 Like

Hubby and I have lots of vinyl, his collection from the early days, mine (we have a lot of crossover, too). I inherited my dad’s collection, some of which are 78s, and I have my brother’s because he didn’t take them with him when he moved to Europe. I also still have my turntable, but it needs a new belt so it’s not functional, and I have my older sister’s turntable, which does work as well as my brother’s turntable that also works.

Unfortunately, all that stuff is still in boxes while we continue working on the finishing building this house! lol I’d love to set something up with my old Onkyo receiver and new speakers. Maybe next year… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Oh you have to ,there is nothing like hanging out listening to some vinyl records. The sound is just the best. When you get a chance do it. My family will start dancing and singing when the records ar3 spinning.

2 Likes

I remember back in high school spending a lot of time admiring Stevie Nicks on the back of the Rumours LP :wink:

I always liked the vinyl albums that included lyrics, too, because I didn’t always know what was being sung. The theme song from the TV series ‘Suits’ is a good example of incomprehensible lyrics :laughing: