August; Glitter Days (Firewater) & Hold On, Hold On (Neko Case & The Sadies)

Thank you kindly, Gordon :smiley:

Sometimes itā€™s just fun to keep it ā€˜simpleā€™ :smiley:
Now that I have that out of my system, Iā€™ve bitten off more than I can chew with my next one.
No chords available online, and I had to eventually ask Chris to help me out. :roll_eyes:
Unfamiliar bass picking with muted hits, as well as being a long song means I am unlikely to ever inflict it on my forumite followers- all 216ā€™000 of them! :laughing:

ITT I find it was Brian that broke the site! Of courseā€¦

Two well played songs in typical charming Brian style. Nice one. Plenty of detailed stuff has already been said, Iā€™m late to the party here!

1 Like

ā€¦ I keep it short then: :+1:t3: :blush:

1 Like

Like Cana, we keep the best till the last :wink:

:kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Once again you have expanded my band/song horizons. :wink: You are looking pretty comfortable with your bar chords!

Yup, always something new to learn even without swapping instruments! Nope itā€™s not just about individual strings, you can still play power chords, triads and 4/5 note chords depending on whether youā€™ve got a 4 or 5 string bass, then thereā€™s harmonics so lots to learn really. Iā€™ve decided to learn to play properly before getting fancy with what I play, itā€™s all too easy to think that itā€™s going to be easy to play bass when you can play guitar but itā€™s not. There is one nice thing about playing it, itā€™s not so tough on your fretting fingers as guitar but itā€™s tougher on your plucking fingers :rofl:

1 Like

I know- sure havenā€™t I been witness to my sonā€™s learning for the past half decade :wink:

ā€¦ not to mention the single most important (and possibly most difficult) skill of keeping time :open_mouth:

Edit: Oops, sorry Mark, I missed your comment.
Thank you muchly :smiley:

Did I comment on the recordings? no, I didnā€™t. I just came here to dip my toes in the water and said nowt. My my. Other people have said stuff so Iā€™ll keep it at the - bravo Brian, you continue to serve up rare dishes a la Larsen and you continue to learn songs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Much appreciated Richard :smiley:
A (perhaps obvious) word of caution for others who might make your ā€˜Learn songs, learn songs, learn songsā€™ mantra their own.
It is the single best piece of advice I have taken but is by no means sufficient.
With all the songs I have ā€˜learnedā€™, I would struggle to play a single one without a chord/lyric sheet. (a different skill). I find it funny that my greatest learning has been becoming faster at learning songs. (In medicine, they say experience helps you to make the same mistakes with much more confidence :laughing:)
Of course, I notice gradual improvements over the years (comfort with barre chords, better at recognising progressions etc.) but if you donā€™t focus on specific skills you wonā€™t learn them. Duh!
Iā€™d still take the same path, as Iā€™ve had a barrel of laughs along the way and little frustration, but no magic pils, Iā€™m afraidā€¦
Off to learn another song now :laughing:

I enjoyed this one too. I actually have Neko Case on my Pandora Playlist. I added The Sadies to it just now thanks to you. You played this in a laid back style. Nice!

1 Like

Thanks Pam :smiley:
These guys were on heavy rotation during my county & western phase a couple of decades ago.
Oak Ridges still one of the most atmospheric songs in the genre

Hi Brian,
So you need an extra soul? :roll_eyes:
Sooo, did karma bit me in the xss a bit hard :grin:, very high fever and 2 thick red lines on the test (my wife wanted to make sure that there was nothing else going on, so I just put that rod in my nose)
Greetings

1 Like

Laughter is not always the best medicine (esp. when itā€™s not the patient thatā€™s laughing!)
You have my commiserations and I truly hope you pull through this illness with as little discomfort as possible :mending_heart:
Just out of curiosity, was there a particular reason you did the test (presumably Covid)?
We were always taught that you only perform a test if the result can change decisions/behaviour.
Indeed, I note with interest the way the government here has moved from testing everyone all the time and ensuring everyone is vaccinated to not wanting to mention the virus againā€¦ :thinking:
Anyway, get well soon and let me know when youā€™re strong enough for some heartless banter :wink:

1 Like

Hi Brian,
Thoroughly enjoyed your 2 songs. Very cool groovy rhythm in the verses for 1st one.
Great to hear songs from artists that are way off my radar. Thank you.
Best wishes,

Alan

1 Like

HI thanks for your sweet words :blush:
But ā€¦I had a lot of fun typing and I already laughed quite a bit between sweating and hardly being able to read right now ,
the only thing that gnaws at me is that I havenā€™t played the guitar in over 50 hours.

And then we get to the reason I had to take the test, Andrea just wrote something and I couldnā€™t remember the sentence she typed for I started the next oneā€¦ over the past 7 years Iā€™ve only had a little bit of a cold twice (also my corona 2(?) years ago I count in that because flu (heavy fever) is really a long time agoā€¦now I have experienced 3 times in the past 10 years (or so it is half off) that I no longer could read almost or remember anything from a minute beforeā€¦and that didnā€™t end so wellā€¦ for me this was clearly a bad flu since this afternoon, but my girl got restless I saw and when I asked her reading something she said ā€œfirst that rod in your noseā€
Orrrrrrr
Do This orrrr

:sweat_smile:
(I have to learn if I can make a very short clip of it, which now looks like I have an STD) :roll_eyes:

And probably no party to go to on Saturday so if Iā€™m not too tired I can see the OM here :smile:

Im alwayss in for a good (as you know also not so good joke (,I did smile in the first post)

This typing takes some time as you have noticed I expect X

EDiT: @brian,Have a nice holiday and I assume you will also visit your mother there? I hope sheā€™s a little okay and youā€™re having a great timeā€¦

What I forgot to add is that during the entire period that I was sick I had not lost my appetite for a moment, that made my girl extra restless because that is a normal part of a cold and flu that that disappears ā€¦ but all the times i was in the hospital i was hungry too (what a bad place to be hungry in holland :stuck_out_tongue:) ā€¦ back on the ground now again :sweat_smile:
Have fun :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Brian, well played and sung, I donā€™t know this band and their work at all but I will definitely check them outšŸ‘
Well done, keep going!
Cheers, Mike

1 Like

They were both really enjoyable songs Brian. It is also great to see how happy you look and how much enjoyment you are getting when you are playing.

Have you ever thought of grabbing your guitar, amp and Trio and popping in to Liverpool on a Saturday afternoon and entertaining the masses?

1 Like

Oops, a few belated thank yous to @Alan_1970 and @mikemycroft-
Cheers for taking the time to listen and comment.
Glad you enjoyed :smiley:

@SgtColon Ta, Stefan. I do enjoy playing but admit to trying to remember to look like Iā€™m enjoying myself as well. My kids always say I frown and look angry when I concentrateā€¦ :angry:
As I mentioned towards the end of my 100 Topics thread, I couldnā€™t play a single song from memory at present :roll_eyes:
I noticed a flurry of activity from your account today. Is that a sign you are about to ā€˜drop a trackā€™ in the Community? :smiley:

2 Likes

No :rofl: Iā€™m working on things at the moment but Iā€™ve been really busy trying to get my music room finished. Once that is done and all set up Iā€™ll get some recording done for posting.

A bit lateā€¦
Anyway.
A dose of Brian strumming away with my mornig coffee is great. Brightens up my day :grin:

Thight strumming Brian, liked the firewater were you shifted tempo.
Solid as always.