Autumn Leaves by Oldhead 49

Maggie @batwoman sent me a note requesting this song from long ago.
Only for you, Maggie. This one goes back a long way, when I was recording on Audacity and had no idea what I was doing, playing or recording.

14 Likes

Thankyou so much Dave. Itā€™s even better than I remember. Iā€™m glad you chose the non drums version.

You do a very good impression of playing with beautiful tone, clean timing and a soulful melancholy Dave. I wish my ā€˜not knowing what Iā€™m doingā€™ sounded this good!

I very much appreciate you finding this and posting it. :gift_heart: Talented man you are.

1 Like

@oldhead49

Dave, what a delightful memory. Fabulous tone and feel.

Iā€™m with @batwoman

Just going to add ā€˜playing or recordingā€™

Nice playing Dave, I remember this from quite a while ago but I think that you had drums on it then; I much prefer this one. I still find it so easy to think that youā€™re not playing this on a Strat :joy:
Iā€™m not sure what the Jazz purists would think about those bends but I think that they sounded great! Keep stuff like this coming buddy :+1::+1::+1:

Super stuff Dave. Lovely clean tones and a real jazzy vibe. I donā€™t remember it from before, maybe before my time, but great to get the chance to hear it this time round.

1 Like

I just nipped over to the old house. Found this.
First version, with drums
d

Second version without drums. This is what Dave posted here.
dd

1 Like

That was excellent Dave - very well done!
Sometimes I donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing too, but it doesnā€™t sound nearly as good as this! :wink:

Sounds good hear, hereā€¦ There is some ref that this was not on the Strat? So what guitar is it?

Nice play and very mello, good stuff for waking up too!

Keep rockā€™n,
LB

Oh yeah, I remember this one! Thanks for the re-share. Well done sir.

I hope you donā€™t mind, but I also quite enjoyed it. Such a nice mellow sound. From what I deduced in other comments, you played this on a strat?

@batwoman Thanks, Maggie. As I recall, you were the one to prompt the non-drums version. Glad you brought this one back; I havenā€™t listened to it for a long time.

@DavidP Thank you, David. I like the tone, but I can still hear a tentative me playing. We were just getting going back then.

@DarrellW Thanks, Darrell. Youā€™ve got a good memory. Yep, the first version had drums. I think the consensus of responders was that the non-drum version was the one to keep. I always meant to get back to it, but it just didnā€™t happen. Well, Iā€™m certainly not a purist, and I like the bends too. This has got me to thinking about taking on a couple jazz songs; youā€™ve got to love those jazz type chords.

@sairfingers: Gordon, thank you. It was in '17, as Maggie pointed out by digging into the archives. I was just getting started on the forum back then.

@batwoman Well, arenā€™t you clever!. Iā€™ll have to go back and read through that thread. Itā€™s interesting they were more than a month apart. It must have taken me that long to be able to play it through again.

@Tom_B Thanks for the listen and comments, Tom. Ha. At my age I never know quite what Iā€™m doing!

@LBro Yep, it was the Strat, LB. You must have misread Darrellā€™s comments. Itā€™s the only guitar I had at the time. ā€œGood stuff for waking up tooā€ - and good stuff to put you to sleep.

@CT Yeah, youā€™ve got a mind like a trap, CT. Thanks for the comments.

@tony Donā€™t mind at all, Tony, and glad you enjoyed it. Yes it was played on a mid-nineties Strat. A great guitar. A little EQ goes a long way sometimes.

2 Likes

If you would elaborate on your setup, amp, etc, Iā€™d appreciate it. That mellow sound is so nice.

Well, Tony, this was almost 5 years ago and the only thing I had was the guitar plugged into my effects pedal and that plugged into my computer. Iā€™m sure I was using the neck pickup on the Strat and had the tone knob adjusted down some. There is an equalizer on the pedal but I couldnā€™t tell you how it was set. The reverb was also in the pedal. The pedal is a DigiTec RP155, which is no longer made, but most multi-effect pedals have those things built in. Other than that I canā€™t be specific. Itā€™s one of those things you just have to play around with. And all guitars will have a different sound. Sorry I canā€™t be more specific.

2 Likes

@oldhead49 Thanks! Have a super day

Very nice, Dave. Definitely a classic song, and a fun one to play. Sounded good!

I havenā€™t played Autumn Leaves in a while. Actually, I think the last time was in a guitar store a couple years ago. I was checking out a guitar (donā€™t recall what it was), and another guy was checking out one of the Ibanez Artcore hollow-bodies (amusing that I remember what he was playing, but not what guitar I had). Anyway, he started playing the chord progression for Autumn Leaves and when I realized what he was playing I joined in on the melody. Took him a few seconds to notice, but then he got a big grin on his face. Cool when stuff like that happens.

2 Likes

Very nice, Dave. Definitely a classic song, and a fun one to play. Sounded good!

I havenā€™t played Autumn Leaves in a while. Actually, I think the last time was in a guitar store a couple years ago. I was checking out a guitar (donā€™t recall what it was), and another guy was checking out one of the Ibanez Artcore hollow-bodies (amusing that I remember what he was playing, but not what guitar I had). Anyway, he started playing the chord progression for Autumn Leaves and when I realized what he was playing I joined in on the melody. Took him a few seconds to notice, but then he got a big grin on his face. Cool when stuff like that happens

@J.W.C Jason, thanks for the feedback. This really needs a proper redo. I had just joined the forum when I plucked this one. I just love the chords in this.

Great story you told. Oddly, right after learning the chords to this I was in a guitar store checking out guitars and a guy started playing the melody. He said he never learned the chords. I asked him to play it and when he got to the second verse I came in with the chords. Man, was I nervous. We just played on for about 3 or 4 minutes. When we finished, people that were behind us started applauding - maybe because we had stopped. Anyhow, for me it was a memorable experience. It really is cool when things like that happen.

2 Likes

The jazz standards like Autumn Leaves are great for re-dos. You can take them in all sorts of different directions, different tempos, etc. And I agree about the chords: beautiful harmony.

Ha! Thatā€™s awesome, and funny that we both had similar experiences playing this song in a guitar store. I guess thatā€™s another cool thing about the jazz standards: a lot of musicians are familiar with them.

For sure. And MUSICIANS do know the jazz standards. I certainly canā€™t put myself in that category. Fortunately I just happened to know that progression. Thank you JustinGuitar.

Shut your mouth, Dave! You play music. Youā€™re a musician. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Indulging myself this morning with a cup of coffee and listening to this. Wish the coffee was as smooth and tasty as your music. Great job.

1 Like