Back Again - another go at learning - hello from Ray

Gonna try this again. Did it about 3 years ago and just lost interest after a few months, first few months (A, D, E, Em, Am, Dm, C, G) were relatively easy for me then I just hit a wall. Could play each chord and switch back and forth but didn’t understand actually putting them all together. Soooooo, lets give it another go :+1:. Got a one year subscription to the app.

16 Likes

Hello again Ray, I hope things go just as well in the early stages this time and you enjoy stickability. :slight_smile:

Hey Ray, welcome back, the dream is definitely burning in you. Hang in there and make it burn brighter. For me, learning my first song all the way through made all the difference in motivating me to stick it out through those early harder months.

1 Like

Good luck Ray, welcome back :+1:

1 Like

Hello Ray :slight_smile:
NIce to meet you

1 Like

Ray, welcome to the community. Hope you have success this time getting the concepts to stick. While you go through the lessons on the app also look at the lessons on the website for additional information and asking question via the discussion tab for each of the lessons.

1 Like

Welcome back Ray.

Stuck for me on my second attempt :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Ray,

Welcome back. Hope the anchor holds this time!

You have got the chords in the key of G covered well (Bm left on the list), so you can already play most songs using a Capo.

In the key of C there is still the dreaded F chord, but you can lick that with the easier forms, before tackling the full Barre chord which in the beginning is (literally) a pain. Go for it!

Find yourself some nice 3 or 4 chord songs, and have fun making music with what you already know! Lennon’s Working Class Hero only has 2 chords, and is a great song!

And, you have de A, D, E sequence, and with only minor changes to include the seventh chords (one finger here or there) you can play the blues! Go for it!

1 Like

Hi Ray, Great to have you back keep with it you made great progress get a few song going makes it all worthwhile. As others have said you have a passion to come back.
A

1 Like

One thing about progress on stuff like this is that sometimes it all comes all at once and then it stops for a while. I also started quick and slowed down at about where you are. I think it is normal. It is best not to push your body too hard at first. No need to crush through walls in the beginning, just lean on that wall that you are perceiving and keep playing. It will get easier with time.

I have been using the app for the playalong songs in my practice and full-heartedly recommend it. It is fun to play the songs and when you do, you work on chord progression, strumming, seating position, and technique, as well as timing and keeping all of that neatly packed together. Sometimes, I play the same song over and over again but work on just the strumming part, or just the chords without the strum if the chords are new or difficult for me, or concentrate on the singing part. Best part is that you can filter out the chords that you can’t play yet. I also often pick songs with chords that I don’t know and just play the parts that I do. It is pretty good practice for picking back up more neatly after losing your place while playing.

Cheers! I wish you the best on your newly resumed journey.

2 Likes

Hello Ray and welcome back to our community. :slight_smile:

I hope it click’s a little more with you this time but remember to make sure it’s fun.

1 Like

Welcome Ray!

This is my 3rd try at learning guitar. First was during high school with an in-person teacher, but I didn’t have the focus to practice (distracted by girls LOL). Second was during my thirties, but the “friend” who was teaching me was a player, not a teacher, so that was short-lived. Third time is with JustinGuitar. I’ve always been able to find the answers to my questions and find exercises to overcome my struggling points here. Been at it for almost 3 years now, about 1/2 way through Grade 3, I’m no longer the worst player at the music store (LOL), and I’m having a blast!

Good luck, have fun, and LEARN SONGS! (no matter how simple they may seem)

2 Likes

Welcome back Ray… and if ya ever feel like giving up make sure ya come to the community forum so we can talk you away from that dangerous place. Lots of great support here.

1 Like

Hi Ray welcome back. Yes, when you are playing a song in the guitar a player do several things at the same time, at least keep a beat count, strum and fret chords. You have learnt them as separate things and you now have put them together to play the song. Stick with the practice and you’ll be able to do so. Choose a song that you like and is marked as Grade 1. Slow it down if needed. Put more emphasis in one aspect and later in the other until you can do all at once. The app should for sure help you.

1 Like

Love this.

2 Likes

follow up to myself…i just remembered one of the reasons i stopped before was that the practice asst in grade 1 (or whatever it was called back then) was/is very structured and I knew exactly what to do each day, then grade 2 came and it was very “practice what you think u need” :scream:. hell i need everything. it was very de-motivating to me. at least this go round i know its coming. us ex military folk like structure, although we hate it, we need it :laughing::laughing:. 0600 - PT ,0700 - breakfast, 0800 - formation, 0900-1100 - hide, 1130-1700 - lunch, hide, dinner

2 Likes

To put it into military expression.

Early grades= Bootcamp
Middle grades= MOS specific training (electronics vs mechanic jobs)
Later grades = Specified training (radar repair, or cockpit instruments in the electronics field or deisel vs aircraft for mechanics.)

The way it has been explained to me is that you pick a path for what will be suited to what you like to play. All training is good if it makes you progress in the direction which YOU want to progress. No need to linger on chugging and powerchords of you are a folk singer. And no need to linger on fingerstyle if you want to be in the Ramones. But maybe you want to do three string powerchord fingerstyle? I wouldn’t reccommend it but I get surprised a lot and I enjoy when people get creative. Things are being done now that would make Jimmy Hendrix squeal. It isn’t as exciting as the 60’s and 70’s with innovation but there is STILL stuff that has not yet been done.

1 Like