Back From My Other Life - hello from Patthebunny

Hello all. I’m a singer/songwriter and one of the original members of this forum. Which means I’ve been around for at least ten years. Don’t tell me if it’s much more or I’ll faint. Toby suggested I introduce myself. Since I have a long history that might interest newcomers, here is the long version.

One summer day some time ago, I finally understood life was short and I went out and got a guitar. I started pretty late in life and I was very motivated to learn and within a few months I was writing songs. Blues, mostly, because it’s a very easy genre – a lot of songs you wouldn’t call blues are blues after all.

I took lessons in person and found Justin’s site. Justin was a unique and standup guy even then, When he talked about wanting to help the world learn for free, that desire wove through everything he did. He found a great way to make his business work and keep his promise to himself and his students. Look at this forum. Respect.

The forum back then was small and tight. The regulars collaborated all the time. Since I could sing a bit, and much better than I played, I got a lot of opportunities. Every one was good and getting better all the time. And I loved all of it. Soon I was doing open mics and workshops.

I was getting somewhere I was happy to be, then I got sick. I have several “conditions,” including a sleep disorder that plays havoc with my sense of time and health. Everything ground to a halt. Then the pandemic hit, and it was soul destroying. I came out of it isolated, angry, and don’t expect I’ll ever feel the same about many things.

However, at the end of the first pandemic year I did this crazy thing. I asked my favorite musician John Elliott of The Little Unsaid, if he’d be interested in producing an album for me. When he said yes, it changed my life. John is a first class musician and writer. He played all the instruments, did all the arrangements. I provided the songs, and sang. Interestingly, he’s London and I’m in Los Angeles and we have never met in person. But I was comfortable with that because of my forum experiences.

The album has been sitting for two and a half years due to Covid depression and isolation. I’m dusting it off. Meanwhile, I have been relearning the guitar. I got a very good teacher and started going through Justin’s courses from the beginning.

It’s taking time. Still, It turns out I am becoming a better musician than I was in the past. True, I have become a slower learner. Have to figure out different shapes I can actually play. Still clumsy with barre chords and running around the neck. But because I lost many years, I am very aware of the journey and how insignificant the destination can become. Also, there’s no point in giving up. What then?

Playing with other people is what I’ve missed most. I was so sick and isolated for so long that I hardly know many local musicians now. I have to find new collaborators and jam buddies.

Now I think I’m rambling. I have to go thru some files to find something to post. Mostly of old stuff. Many of my album recordings are my best songs, but not my playing, and this is a guitar forum. And I’ve got to record a few new things. Hope this works out and to see you soon.

PTB

14 Likes

Hi @Patthebunny, what an amazing story! So great you got to work so closely with on of your fave musicians. I am at the other end of the scale, a total newcomer to the forum, but looking forward to seeing learning and contributing to the community👍

3 Likes

Hello Pat and welcome back to our community. :slight_smile:

That was an interesting story and I was sorry to read about some bad times. Good luck with your album though. What an exciting thing to be doing.

3 Likes

Hi Pat,
Good to see/hear you ( again) in this new era, what a story deep valleys and high peaks…and i know insomnia/sleeping disorder can make you very sick,…only when I got that under control after more than 40 year I could really get a lot better…I’m really looking forward to your music and further stories/contribution,…
Greetings Rogier

3 Likes

Hi Pat

Great to see you posted and glad you reached out ! I am certainly intrigue by the news of the album and looking forward to hearing it. Take your time getting used to the shinny new building. You could say its changed but still the same. With direct access from the website and each lesson, there are a lot more “users” here but you’ll so see like the old gaff, there is a core of frequent and active users. There will be folk you recall from the old forum when you were last active but there still a few of the “old guard” still peddling their wares @stitch @LBro @oldhead49 @LievenDV @Richard_close2u to name a few, with Richard and Lieven joined on the moderator bench by @DavidP. Sadly we lost Hilts a while back and there could be others of the old crew lurking in the shadows waiting to make an appearance.

Anyway make yourself at home and shout out for advice or directions, when you need it. See nowts changed at the end of the day. :wink:

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Heeeeeyyyyyy @Patthebunny it brings me joy to find this post today!
Glad to hear from you after this little while
Just as welcome as always :smiley:

Having an album produced with your favourite musician?
Living the dream; Keep us posted!
Creating one song can be a grind so an album is quite the challenge.
Take your time!

See you around!

4 Likes

Hey PTB. Welcome back. Sorry to hear about your health issues. I lived in the greater Los Angeles area back in the 70s for nearly 5 years, I remember those years fondly.

3 Likes

Hello Pat, and what an amazing (re) introduction.

I love this :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Yes, live is short and playing guitar enriches it so much.
Feel very welcome to the community, and
I’m very interested in hearing/reading more from you :hugs:.

4 Likes

Welcome back Pat. So happy to hear your feeling better and back playing guitar.

4 Likes

Welcome back Pat. Seems that you are feeling better and ready to go again, good luck.

3 Likes

Hi Pat, welcome back. From what the old forum members have written, this community can benefit a lot of having you as an active member. Congratulations for your album. What’s next is up to you.

3 Likes

Oh boy.
Today is a good day.
A long time friend has just popped round to say hello.
Pat - it is great to have you come back in.
What a story too.
That blasted pandemic.
Gee it knocked people off kilter.
From misery and disorder comes a full album of songs however.
What a treasure and what a gift you have given yourself - aided immeasurably it seems by a distant favourite and now collaborator.
Kudos and vibes in healthy doses to you and him.

Gotcha on that!

12 and a bit years.
You’re an old timer for real.
:slight_smile:

It might not be collaboration - Zoom sync issues don’t allow it - but you may enjoy the spirit and camararderie generated by the virtual Open Mic events we now host. Community Open Mic Events - JustinGuitar Community

What a delight and a great surprise.
Happy day.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Richard

Pat and I are already discussing this (OM XII), which is why I asked her to post an Intro. Given her palmares on the old platform she certainly meets the AOVYP criteria. But we are discussing a lift and shifts of her Soundcloud tracks, so newbies can hear where the Bunny comes from. Its not just a :rabbit: :hole:
Like many of us who crossed the bridge, the new place can be a bit overwhelming, so I am helping Pat settle down in the new warren but all being well, there could well be a OM XII appearance for the one that post under the “And It Was Summer” mantle.

Keeping the door open for those who have lost their way. :door: :flashlight:

Cheers

Toby

3 Likes

I should add I got the shovel out and went back to the old forum and have access to the SC posts. Unfortunately many of the YouTube video links are now broken but I can recover some Bunny History for our new audience. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

When I did those many hours of digging through the archives to find as many schlaffenwaggen avoyp collaboration posts as I could for his community awars I found several with @Patthebunny that were, sadly, dead links.

1 Like

Hi Pat,
Good to see you are still kicking and back into guitar and music! Can you share some links to your album or songs?

All the best,
LB

5 Likes

I’m going through my old songs. It’s pretty intense. I can hear the desire in my voice to be good at what I’m doing, but… what do I expect after playing only a year or so? I do think it might be interesting to post one of the old covers, and I found one collaboration with Sandmarx, I’m also probably going to post a demo version of one album track and the final one. Whether you like it or not, it’s pretty enlightening in terms of what a song is, and can be. I tried to find a really bad (in terms of vocal and playing) to post but I’m afraid I don’t have the courage to even listen to any more.

Here’s my question: where do I post them? One at a time, of course. I truly don’t know whether this is inspiring or terrifying.

3 Likes

I would either post them in your learning log or in the AVOYP area as we used to at the old site:
AVOYP

All the best,
LB

4 Likes

And all you need to do is paste the link address / URL into the text box as you type the post, as Discourse does automatic embedding. Really handy for YouTube links, ie no additional controls like the old forum, just a simple paste. Same with SoundCloud.

2 Likes

Hi Pat,
Hi, I’d put it in an LL,… put the dates of recording if it’s not clear in the video already,…
It’s just great to see the first time/years and how you are doing now,…the less well then the greater the admiration of how hard you have worked and progressed as a musician, :sunglasses: :raised_hands: :man_bowing::laughing:… why did you think i posted my very first recording from almost 3 years ago after more than a year or so :hot_face: :hear_no_evil:…everything after that seemed fine, :sweat_smile:

Embracing your past and be proud of now and peeking into the future… :blush:

:joy:…I’d be disappointed if you didn’t… :grin:

I’m really looking forward to your process and wish you a lot of fun,
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes