Bad Moon Rising - CCR Cover

I dont particularly like the sound of a full F barre chord. If a song requires a more meaty F, I often play a partial barre with the C in the bass. So technically a F/C. Sounds better to my ears.

1 Like

I know a couple of others have said just play other chords, which is fine I guess, but I really wanted to play barre chords, and struggled, and now feel I have it nailed.

Here are some things that helped me.

Can you just fret an F and get it ringing out clearly? Even if you have to take time to set it up right?

Some guitars are harder to play barre chords on than others. Like, WAY harder. A different guitar or tweaks to yours can help.

Electrics are significantly easier. I had 9 gauge strings on mine. Now 10s (for different reasons). Most acoustics have 12s. When learning F I switched my acoustic to 11s - made a huge difference to playability. Lowered the action and less string tension.

Another option is a guitar “setup” but often that’s not really worth it on a basic acoustic. Electrics you can DIY setups - I did mine and lowered the action to make it even easier.

So I’d say - try an electric, or try lighter strings.

1 Like

Thanks for all the comments. Really helpful. I can get it to ring out on its own, but when playing and transitioning to other chords, its cumbersome, and doesn’t sound too good. Anyways I keep plugging away

Again, it’s analogous to learning to play with a pick, or finger style, lead, rhythm or anything thing else really – bar chords are good to learn, get them under your fingers, but know their limitations.

They are not the best hill to die on, in my opinion and to be perfectly honest. Just know that they can be painful, and make you put your guitar down for a while, which is a bad thing. To my ear they can be over kill and muddy in some situations (as previously stated).

If you want a hill to die on choose triads and the CAGED system, when the time comes of course.

Here’s a pro’s pro and a guy with a few pelts on his wall:

You can bail half way through.

2 Likes

That’s the way to do it, Sandy, you are on track and with patience and persistence you’ll get it.

Have you tried the drill of going back and forth between F and E, that helps primarily with setting the barre. F and Dm is also a good drill since the middle finger is anchored.

1 Like

Thanks Clint… interesting

1 Like

Haven’t been practicing much lately. Problem with tingling fingers on strumming hand (mainly pinky an ring finger) is getting worse, even when I’m not playing…need to see a doctor. Don’t know if it’s carpel tunnel syndrome or some unrelated health problem.

2 Likes

Take care, and take it easy! It can be hard sometimes to tell when to stop. In most cases pain is a good indicator. Playing guitar has us using muscles, joints and such in sometimes stressful and repetitive ways. Work on singing, production or harmonica in the down time! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No pain yet… just numbness and tingling…worse when I play… Don’t know what it is… computer all day and strumming and fingerstyle in between… need to get it checked out…pinch nerve I guess.

Sorry to hear that, Sandy, and you are wise to get it checked. The stress and strain of all day computer work is not to be under-estimated.

1 Like

I really like this song from a long time ago, it was a pleasure to hear it in your performance, it was great, I really liked your vocal work!

Mike

1 Like