Bad Moon Rising - CCR Cover

No idea… so you might as well spell it out to me.

Okay … your strumming hand / arm stops at the bottom of its arc for the duration of the sustained word ‘see’ rather than continuing in the smooth non-stop down-up-down-up pendulum motion.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah… well… I always thought there was a slight pause on the original recording between I see and the other words… I will give the original another listen. Thanks for your observations.

You are probably right Sandy. This is the bit I find tricky viz keeping the strumming smooth and steady, hand moving all the time, and phrasing the singing. I find it easiest to try and sing songs where lines start on either a down or up strum on an 1/8th note pattern.

But that’s not always how an original goes. That’s when people ever so kindly ‘compliment’ me on ‘making it my own’ by adjusting phrasing or for that matter melody :laughing: It’s such a polite way of commenting on where I need to improve in my rendition of a song. Though if the audience don’t know and love the original and it sounds good then I will get away with singing it my own way.

1 Like

Sandy

Well done.

This is one of the songs I have chosen to pass Grade 1. If I can play and sing it as well as you I will be well pleased.

Cheers Michael :+1:

1 Like

You can do it… looking forward listening to your version

As a newbie guitarist, there’s no way I’ll ever get it like the originals, that’s not my goal anyway. But I do like the feedback from others, and see If I can do it differently or better.

On this raining hard day, I’ve spent the morning with CCR and John Fogerty…the soundtrack of my early years… 5, 6, 7… memories rushing and flooding. Future covers of Have you ever seen the rain, Looking out my back door, coming.

1 Like

Sandy
Just started on it so it could be a little while only on Module 5.
Michael

1 Like

You and me both, Sandy, we just do the best we can, both playing and singing, and if it sounds good it is good :grin: And you are sounding good.

1 Like

Enjoyed that. Chords and strumming seemed good to me, although once Richard mentioned the pause at the bottom of the strum I saw it. Like your voice to.

1 Like

Nicely played and sung @SandyMusic. :clap: :clap: Great song, it’s in my song book.

1 Like

I tried doing it without the pause, but can’t. I like it that way…haha

Thank you

Hi Sandy,
Here is a 3 finger salute to your effort here. Very nice play and vox on this one. I love this song and you did it up right! Keep up the chord work and vibe!

Keep on rock’n!
LB

1 Like

Well done! Sounding good. Your playing is catching up to your vocals. I see the full musical package taking shape for you.

1 Like

Thank you… will try

Thank you…but I’ve hit a snag. Damn F barre chord…I positively hate that chord. Five months of practice and it still sounds horrible. How long will it take?

You do you, but I don’t spend that much time on them any more. The full bar chord prevents the use of other fingers for twiddling notes and other chord voicings – plus Fmaj7 sounds better for the most part. Full bar chords seem to be some kind of badge of honor for many folks, they are good to know – so learn them, but in a mix and for general use they are over rated and sometimes ill suited. Those lower string notes tend to wash out – and do we really need three fretted F notes to make an F chord sound? Many pro players avoid them for the reasons stated above.

EDIT: I don’t even care that much for the sound of a full open E chord being strummed. YMMV.

1 Like

It’s a tough one to master, no doubt, Sandy. Have you tried playing the same shape higher up the neck, perhaps the fifth fret? How long … no one can answer that. But keep persisting and you will get it down eventually.

In the meanwhile, try the Fmaj7 as Clint suggested, it sounds good in many songs, rather than full F.

1 Like