Socio - March 2022 - Bad Moon Rising & Sweet Home Alabama

Hey all,

I’m currently on Grade 2, Module 10. I thought it would be in my best interest to record a couple of AVOYPs before I progress any further.

So, without further ado, here’s my work in progress of Bad Moon Rising

P.S. ​I’m not much of a singer, but I thought I’d give it a go anyway just to relieve the monotony of strumming the chord progression over and over.

Sweet Home Alabama here

11 Likes

Sounded pretty good James, good rhythm and changes!

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bravo, James, all sounding good … rhythm, chords, changes. I especially liked the accent on the chord’s bass note, gave the song a cool groove. And your singing was just fine, so you can let rip and sing out in future.

1 Like

Nothing to worry about with that performance James, sounds great to me!

1 Like

Hello James,
Well, I thought that was a very good performance :sunglasses:…and for your singing I would immediately sign…tight chord with accents :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Another good one James.

Nothing wrong with those vocals and it sure does add to a tune, plus I find it makes my guitar playing even more enjoyable.

1 Like

Hi James,
Wow, you got some serious strumming going on there and it puts mine to shame. Great job there. You sing fine, I a want to hear more of you in the mix, so belt it out louder and try to outdo the guitar in volume level.

Keep rock’n and great choice of songs!
LB

1 Like

That was great James. Terrific strum pattern with accents on the beat and lovely clean chords. Well done. As for your voice, you’re putting yourself down unnecessarily, I thought your vocal was really good. Just have confidence and belt it out next time. :grinning:

1 Like

Not a straight forward song to play and you did it justice, I think it was great got my foot tapping along so in my eyes you passed the grade :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: all the best.

1 Like

You played and sang that really well. I especially liked how you changed up to a looser strumming pattern in the part without vocals, sounded really good, and it was a nice contrast.

1 Like

@jkahn Thank you for the feedback, JK. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’m pleased to hear that the rhythm was good. As soon as I hit that record button my heart goes up a few beats per minute.

@DavidP Thank you for the feedback, David. I have been gradually working my way through Part 1 of the RUST Course in parallel with the Beginners Grade Courses. I’m looking forward now to learning percussive strumming. Though I have one more song that I am thinking about learning beforehand which plays the bass note on the first beat.

@DarrellW Thank you for the feedback, Darrell. I’m glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully, now I will start to feel a bit more at ease recording myself and posting AVOPs.

@roger_holland Thank you for the feedback, Rogier. I’m glad you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed playing it. I’m sure a few more months down the line I will be thinking of other things I could do to improve it but for now I will park that song into my campfire list.

@SgtColon Thank you, Stefan, I’m glad you enjoyed it. Yes, I couldn’t agree more with you. Singing whilst playing does make it more enjoyable. Even if you are just singing to yourself.

@LBro Thank you for the feedback, LBro. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I am pleased to hear that the effort that I have been putting into Part 1 of the RUST Course is showing promise. Hopefully, I can continue making good progress when I move onto Part 2. I totally understand where you are coming from with regards to the vocals in the mix. That is something that I definitely need to start working on. That and learning how to get the best out of Reaper and OBS Studio.

@sairfingers Thank you for the feedback, Gordon. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I have been gradually working my way through Part 1 of the RUST Course and starting to feel my confidence growing in my strumming. Hopefully, over time my confidence will grow in the vocals as I discover my voice on this musical journey.

@adi_mrok Thank you Adrian, I’m glad you enjoyed it and gave me a pass mark. It gives me confidence that I have embedded everything that I have learned so far from Justin’s courses.

@Mari63 Thank you Mari, I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’ve been working on that song as a learning tool for putting into practice Justin’s really useful strumming techniques. Now I just need to find a good song to apply the same approach to learning percussive strumming.

2 Likes

Sounded fine to me, good strumming and chord changes. Singing is good to but a little quiet compared to the guitar.

1 Like

@skinnyt, thank you for the support and feedback, Trevor. Yes, that’s something that I need to look at improving. I’m not sure if it’s just a case of changing the levels on inputs 1 and 2 to the audio interface. I’ve still to really get to grips with recording myself. But something I’m going to be taking a closer look at for future AVOYPs.

Nice work James, good singing here, key suits you better.

1 Like

I thought that sounded really good James, both strumming and singing. Seems like it would be a fun song to play as well.

1 Like

@batwoman Thanks, Maggie :smiley: Yes, the vocals sound far better on this one. Lyrically, I find this song easier to sing. With practice, hopefully, my vocals will improve over time along with my guitar playing.

@Sarahsus2 Thank you for the feedback, Sarah :smiley: Yes, it’s a fun song to play with lots of options to experiment with playing it.

1 Like

Hey all,

I’m currently on Grade 2, Module 10. I thought it would be in my best interest to record a couple of AVOYPs before I progress any further.

So, without further ado, here’s my work in progress of Sweet Home Alabama

P.S. ​I’m not much of a singer, but I thought I’d give it a go anyway just to relieve the monotony of strumming the chord progression over and over.

12 Likes

That was a fine effort mate. Good rhythm, and the singing was fine.

Crackin tune, so much fun to play, and one I’ve been working at on an off for over a year. A fast tempo, and fairly advanced song, I’ve found it’s been a tremendous teaching tool, with all the fast licks and various techniques used.
All the best.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Thanks, Shane (@sclay) for your support. Yes, it’s a great tune and on my dreamers list. It’s one that I plan on working on as my skills and techniques develop. I’m a long way from playing any of those licks, but I’ll get there one day.

Great job James.

1 Like