Batwoman's Learning Log

How lovely of you to pop in Rogier, thankyou.

I love your weirdness, long may it last :hugs:

I have a new song that’s almost ready to go public. Till I get it finished, it may satisfy your weirdness :grin: to read the story I wrote a while back, from which I’ve taken the song.

Request for Long Service Leave.

My heart has told me she’s tired and wants to take long service leave. This seems a fair enough request; she’s done a good job day in day out. She’s earned some time away from the workplace.

I contact the local Employment Agency to find a replacement for her, someone to tide me over while she’s away. I want someone like her, a Good Heart. A heart that can keep a steady beat, nothing fancy, just a steady beat with the capacity to accommodate the occasional drama or downer. It needs to be in one piece and in reasonably good repair. Ideally, I’d like to see a few battle scars healed and wiser for it.

“We’re a bit down on numbers at the moment” the employment agent tells me, “All the Good Hearts and Kind Hearts have been taken and we haven’t had a Generous Heart on our books for a few weeks now, they’re very popular. Leave it with us, we’ll send you our recommendations by the end of the week” she says.

Within a few days they had shortlisted the most likely.

The procession of applicants begins with Broken Heart announcing herself in a flood of tears and a jangle of bling that holds her fractured pieces together in a haphazard sort of way. “Why in the blazes would they send this one to me?” I wondered. She looks at me through teary eyes and says “I’m a great multi-tasker; I’m good at holding it all together no matter what. I might look a mess and I mightn’t be whole hearted I admit, but I’ll give it my best shot”.

The clump of steel capped boots and a haze of cigarette smoke preceded the next applicant, Tough Love. “Tell me a bit about your work history Mr Tough” I asked. “Call me T” he grunted as he took a drag on the stub of cigarette attached to his lip. “I don’t take any crap. I set the pace. I don’t slow down for sob stories and I don’t speed up for other people’s dramas. It’s my way or no way” he said staring steely eyed at me as he handed over his CV. Gazing at it I see he has brought every project in on time, on budget and there have been no fatalities or serious injuries.

Capricious Heart twirled her way into the room in a tease of smoke and mirrors. Unable to sit in one place for more than a moment she perches on the desk in front of me and smiles beguilingly. Before I could ask about her work experience she leans toward me and says “I’d be so good for you, stodgy old thing, you need to be brightened up. I’d change that way the old heart does things … too predictable. I’d get a few new rhythms happening, maybe a bit of hip hop or crump for something new. And that boring old red, how passé, I’d have a new colour every week.”

Half Hearted dragged herself into the interview room late and flopped herself down sideways on the chair. Looking up at me from under the messy fringe covering her left eye she waited for me to ask her something. “Why are you here?” I asked. “Err, um, I’ve been told I have unfulfilled potential. I’m a life waiting to happen and if I don’t get a job soon they’ll cut off my dole. A part time job is enough for me.”

“Next” I muttered.

As Brave Heart came into the room he limped on his prosthetic leg. He held the hand of a Heart that was hanging back behind him, timid and frightened. I peered at Brave Heart quizzically, he volunteered “Oh this is my friend Faint of Heart; it’s time he got a job. If you give him the job I’d like to be his mentor if that’s OK with you? I’m not as able bodied as I used to be, but I still have a lot to pass on to this young fellow”.

Soft Heart embraces me in a moosh of pink marshmallow, gusts of her rose fragrance clinging to me as I attempt to separate myself from her gooey embrace “What special qualities do you bring to the job Soft,” I asked. “I’d love everyone” she replied in a breathy imitation of Marilyn Monroe. " Love is all there is" “Is that all?” “Oh yes, there’s nothing more, love is all there is the rest will take care of itself” she replies with an airy self-assurance.

Interviews completed, I consider my options. None of the applicants are a suitable replacement for my heart. I wonder about hiring two hearts to job share. Brave Heart and Faint Heart or Tough Love and Broken Heart could perhaps manage the job. Capricious Heart and Half-Hearted sharing the job, I shudder to think of the possibilities. Soft Heart could be on call for situations that couldn’t be resolved any other way.

As I mull over my choices, it occurs to me that I’ve undervalued my Good Heart and the job she’s done so well. I phone the agency late in the day to tell them that no suitable applicants have been found and that my heart and I are currently negotiating a new contract.

5 Likes

What a wonderful read Maggie, makes this new project sound intriguing.
Working title The Good Heart of Maggie Good ?
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Made me think of this

1 Like

Looking forward to the song, Maggie, the story was a thoughtful read, you are an artist, so masterful in the way you bring ideas to life with such vivid imagery.

1 Like

Thanks Maggie,… :grin:

:kissing_heart:
And I read this story after what I typed earlier … well, you could almost say coincidence does not exist …
Dear greetings… :sunflower: :heart_decoration: :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

The crazy dame is back again, regaling us with tales from her imaginarium’s Wunderkammer :smiley:

I happen to know the guy who works in that Employment Agency. He moonlights part-time as a Relationship Crash Investigator. I shared a song about him not so long ago. I’m starting to question his work ethics and conflict of interest :wink:
You’re spot on regarding the weirdness of @roger_holland . I’d be wary of encouraging him too much :rofl:

3 Likes

What a beautiful story Maggie. It brought tears to my eyes as I’m currently in the broken heart category as my mother-in- law died last week. I’ve of course known her pretty much all my adult life.
She won’t have been knockin’ on heaven’s door. The door would be open and waiting for her I’m sure.

I’m very much looking forward to your new song.

4 Likes

Thoughts and feelings with you, Gordon.

1 Like

Oh Maggie, what a unique and beautiful imagination you have. I’ve always loved your thought process. Can’t wait for the song.

Gordon, sorry for your loss.

1 Like

This is truly great story telling there Maggie, really enjoyed the read and can’t wait to hear what musically you will bring to the table with this one :grinning:

1 Like

Haven’t heard much from you lately Maggie, at least not in the threads and discussions where I tend to hang out. Hope to hear some music from you soon.

1 Like

I’m sorry for your sadness Gordon.

1 Like

Who you callin’ crazy Blue Hair? :crazy_face:

Haven’t got a title as yet Toby.

1 Like

You know, sometimes you really crack me up, your humour is priceless!
There’s only one thing for me to say………

1 Like

Hi Maggie, nice read about different types of heart having a life by themselves. Waiting for the song.

Gordon, sorry for your loss.

1 Like

@DarrellW it takes one to know one. I consider this a compliment, never wanted to be main stream :grin:

1 Like

May 22, 2022

Today I’m sulking. I was all dressed up, guitar in hand and ready to go to my 5th OM, when I had a call to tell me the venue is flooded and the OM is cancelled for another month. I’ve been trying to get there since June 2021. :pouting_cat:

Because I was all dressed up with nowhere to go I recorded some of what I would have done. As you will see I had a hissy fit when I mucked up the words of my favourite verse and diva like, refused to play anymore. :smiling_face:

I’ve been practicing with a dynamic mic for the OM, so singing up close. It felt weird to have to stand back from the Mr Rode the condenser and with no pop filter. I haven’t learned any more than the basics with OBS, so no fx or such. One more rabbit hole down which I could vanish.

I’ve learned some good things doing this - do a better job with framing, lighting, placement so I don’t keep bumping the mic stand thus distracting myself, to get the neck of the guitar into the frame, use the mic better and most of all to let go of self-consciousness, embrace the song and make it all about entertaining my audience.

9 Likes

What a great performance Maggie. I thought the dummy spit was funny :rofl:. It didn’t take away from your amazing playing and singing.

I think you’re close to my neck of the woods? South East QLD. This rain is incessant, and being stuck inside is a downer. Hopefully your OM is back on next time.

2 Likes

@jkahn I think you live in Brisvegas? If you’re on the south side you may want to join the OM as it’s in Nerang. There’s also a branch north of Brisbane. They have monthly jams as well as OM’s. https://www.goldcoastacoustics.com.au/

Thanks JK, most generous and yes I live in coastal northern NSW, 20 minutes south of the border.

Yep, I’m in Brisvegas. The acoustic club looks great. I’m still in that phase of life where my weekends revolve around my primary school age kids. As they get older and my weekends free up (and honestly, my skills get better, the other consideration!) I’ll have to check it out. I’m hoping to play live in front of an audience one day :grinning:.

1 Like