Batwoman's Learning Log

Haven’t heard much from you lately Maggie, at least not in the threads and discussions where I tend to hang out. Hope to hear some music from you soon.

1 Like

I’m sorry for your sadness Gordon.

1 Like

Who you callin’ crazy Blue Hair? :crazy_face:

Haven’t got a title as yet Toby.

1 Like

You know, sometimes you really crack me up, your humour is priceless!
There’s only one thing for me to say………

1 Like

Hi Maggie, nice read about different types of heart having a life by themselves. Waiting for the song.

Gordon, sorry for your loss.

1 Like

@DarrellW it takes one to know one. I consider this a compliment, never wanted to be main stream :grin:

1 Like

May 22, 2022

Today I’m sulking. I was all dressed up, guitar in hand and ready to go to my 5th OM, when I had a call to tell me the venue is flooded and the OM is cancelled for another month. I’ve been trying to get there since June 2021. :pouting_cat:

Because I was all dressed up with nowhere to go I recorded some of what I would have done. As you will see I had a hissy fit when I mucked up the words of my favourite verse and diva like, refused to play anymore. :smiling_face:

I’ve been practicing with a dynamic mic for the OM, so singing up close. It felt weird to have to stand back from the Mr Rode the condenser and with no pop filter. I haven’t learned any more than the basics with OBS, so no fx or such. One more rabbit hole down which I could vanish.

I’ve learned some good things doing this - do a better job with framing, lighting, placement so I don’t keep bumping the mic stand thus distracting myself, to get the neck of the guitar into the frame, use the mic better and most of all to let go of self-consciousness, embrace the song and make it all about entertaining my audience.

9 Likes

What a great performance Maggie. I thought the dummy spit was funny :rofl:. It didn’t take away from your amazing playing and singing.

I think you’re close to my neck of the woods? South East QLD. This rain is incessant, and being stuck inside is a downer. Hopefully your OM is back on next time.

2 Likes

@jkahn I think you live in Brisvegas? If you’re on the south side you may want to join the OM as it’s in Nerang. There’s also a branch north of Brisbane. They have monthly jams as well as OM’s. https://www.goldcoastacoustics.com.au/

Thanks JK, most generous and yes I live in coastal northern NSW, 20 minutes south of the border.

Yep, I’m in Brisvegas. The acoustic club looks great. I’m still in that phase of life where my weekends revolve around my primary school age kids. As they get older and my weekends free up (and honestly, my skills get better, the other consideration!) I’ll have to check it out. I’m hoping to play live in front of an audience one day :grinning:.

1 Like

Bring your kids JK, there’s an animal refuge there and often w/e activities. The club is a perfect place to begin for people like us. They want you to succeed and are very welcoming. I think you’re more than ready to go public.

1 Like

Great performance Maggie, and you look terrific too! Sorry about your ’ dressed up with nowhere to go dilemma’, but we benefited in the end.:grinning:
Sorry, but your little flub made me actually feel a bit better, as I messed up big time in my open mic debut this morning here in the community.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

I admire you for taking the forum OM on Shane and I’m looking forward to seeing the playback. Messing up is a mere moment in time, don’t sweat it Shane. It might burn bright in your memory, but in the memories of those who listen there will be other, different good things they remember.

4 Likes

Maggie my dear !! What a wonderful way to brighten my Sunday morning. Lovely performance and great ending. If there was a digital equivalent of the cutting room floor, many of us would be up to our eyeballs in celluloid ! :rofl:

Playing & vocals were great. Love the way your lower tone has developed, we need more Maggie Bad !! You have also done wonders on your “stage presence” and you are really working the camera well. Not an easy feat but shows its a craft you’ve been working on.
I’d love to hear an Oz version of ECG with all the beasties you have out there. :wink:

Shame you missed the OM but I hear the weather’s not been too clever again this year but as long as you are safe in your beautiful abode, all is good. Miss your recordings.

Take care. Oh and keep an eye out for the OM IX announcement later today.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Beautiful way to start my Monday morning sat with a coffee and with the sun shining in my English suburban garden!! Thanks for sharing Maggie :slightly_smiling_face:

And that had to be the most mild mannered hissy fit I’ve ever seen :joy:. The Devil of Doom invaded your head obviously :wink:

Bonza Onya Maggie the Loud, Proud, Diva

What a delight, the CA OM loss is our gain.

And what a gain it was. After our OM last night you just popped an enormous, juicy, soaked in kirshwasser, black cherry on the cake.

Your play was smooth, relaxed, fluent. Delicious tone from Cedar recorded so faithfully by Mr R.

Your singing is a joy. Loved the dynamics in tone, timbre, and expressiveness from the sweetness of ECG to the temptress of DD.

Your presence, patter, and performance is ever developing … you can entertain me all day long any day.

Wonderful Maggie, you’ll knock it out the park once the open mic is back on.

I like the condenser mic, it allows you to have a quick peak down at the guitar from time to time, keep you on track without losing the vocals.

Look out for Maggie’s alter ego! :imp:

Hi Maggie. I loved the contrast between the two songs. One minute we were tiptoeing round an English country garden looking at flowers and insects, the next we’re being dunked in a bucket of gin! Great stuff.
Your guitar play and vocal were terrific, lovely tones from both. Your passion for the songs shone through.
I seem to remember from a previous version of ECG that you learned to play it for a friend who wanted you to perform it.

I’m disappointed for you that your OM was cancelled. You seem to be having real extremes of climate at the moment in Oz. We are the lucky ones that got to hear your performance instead.
Well done.

Hi Maggie…again ,but now here with you. :grin:

goodness gracious me…or something like that … it just doesn’t stop with the weather / climate misery there with you :cry:
But very nice that you have decided to perform for us :sunglasses: :heart_eyes_cat: … and what a great song, it is a wonderful style and so cozy uplifting … good for the balance that you have the devil there too tossed in between, :sunglasses: :grin:…and thanks for not editing and posting it this way…really cool and very entertaining.

:joy: :rofl: :joy:
Thank you very much,
Greetings :bouquet: :tiger: :butterfly: :blossom:

It was great Maggie even though not an OM you still managed to act like it was a real one with all the entertainment and keeping some hiccups in, just a shame you haven’t finished the second one (3 times a charm as they say :grinning:) as it really got me interested like listening to a storyteller, a mighty fine one shall I say! :grinning: all the best and there will be a next one I am sure!