Batwoman's Learning Log

Hi Maggie, I recently joined the forum. I read your thread and I am inspired by all the creative things you have done. I think it is cool that you work with bats. When I was a kid, I used to go fishing with my dad on a lake where I grew up in Washington State. At night, bats would come out and fly near us.

1 Like

@Daphne20 thankyou Daphne for you kind comments. One of the things I like about this forum is that there are many who inspire. I’m glad to be considered one of those. Music is fun, there’s such a diversity of talent, genres, interests and experience here. You’ll most certainly find lots to inspire and encourage you.

Did you know that in hot, dry weather bats fly low enough over water to collect a whole chest full of water in their fur. Once the find a roost they lick it all off. It also serves to cool them down.

3 Likes

Hi Maggie, I don’t want to complain, and I don’t :grin:, but the last pictures here are from a Madman … and I can remember that you promised me ( and others maybe). …that you would provide us with pictures :bat: more often,…hopefully you don’t feel burdened, and now you can pass it on to me. :innocent:…so if you have some critters and surroundings in the picture then feel free to share it :grin: :sunglasses:
Greetings and I sincerely hope that the weather in your area has been a bit more sable lately.

PERFORMANCE NERVES

I wanted to share an epiphany I’ve had.

I was at an OM last night. A little guy, no older than 9, took to the stage with his electric guitar. He was bubbling over with excited enthusiasm to share what he’d learned.

He stopped and started, forgetting words, forgetting what chords came next. Each time he did, the MC started applauding and encouraging the crowd to go wild. Each time this happened, the boy held up his hand, said, “I’m not finished” and off he went again. He was having so much fun he added a third song to his set list, telling us it was a rock’nroll song. He spotted a stomp on the floor so he tried that out as he played his rock’nroll number, even though he couldn’t quite reach the stomp.

He was so in the zone, thrilled to pieces with the music he was sharing. His enthusiasm provided continuity and held our attention.

It wasn’t ego, it wasn’t ‘look at me, how good I am’, it was pure joy in sharing music and we as a crowd felt it, loved the little guy for the joy and the vibe he shared.

I feel so totally uplifted and inspired by this boy. The message for me is to be enthusiastic and excited about what I have to share, without holding back, let that carry the performance, regardless of stumbles. There’s no room in this mindset for ego and it’s trash talk.

18 Likes

Kids can be so dang cute that they can get away with almost everything. Kinda like kittens and puppies. :slight_smile:

Great story. Adults often care too much about what other people think, and set our standards way too high.

1 Like

@CT perhaps some kitten ears would enhance my appeal?

@jkahn yeah you’re right. We can get caught up in the fear of what we see as failure. This boy had no trace of that. His enthusiasm was infectious.

1 Like

Not a bit. You are so appealing naturally that kitty ears would be overkill. :slight_smile:

Seriously, that stop and start, oopsy-boopsy, flubb-a-dub, playing would not go so well at 35 years old, with a nose ring, blue mohawk and barbed wire arm tattoos. Being cute might be the most important talent to have (my grown up girls have it still and I’m still putty)! LOL

1 Like

:1st_place_medal: post, Maggie

Huge wisdom in this. And like so much that is profound to live it in a totally authentic way is something that we will never master and be done. To perform in that healthy way, keeping the ego in check is not easy, given that performing and receiving from the audience is frequently tempting to the ego. At least not easy for me.

I sure do feel it when I am in the moment, playing and singing freely, without the fear of making mistakes. And when I do enter that zone paradoxically I make fewer mistakes.

2 Likes

Thanks Maggie,…

:sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Just saw the photo of your electric Bat, my first time seeing that model of guitar but I love the pickguard shape!

1 Like

Awesome story Maggie with a true message we can all learn from. When and why do we start to get hung up on what others think and, more importantly, how do we sometimes forget that this is meant to be fun?
I will certainly keep this little rocker in mind when I next push that record button or am doing the community OM. Thanks for sharing, sounds like you had a great time!
Hope everything is well with you :heart_hands:

1 Like

Maggie

How wonderful ! :clap: Made me think of these EC lyrics, with a subtle change

Let it grow, let it grow
Let it blossom, let it flow
In the sun, the rain, the snow
Playing is lovely, just let go

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Perfectly said :hugs: .

2 Likes

That was a wonderful story Maggie, thank you for sharing it with us! Hope you are keeping well and enjoying your Open Mics.

1 Like

Thank you Maggie for sharing this with us. Some great advice for us all in there. :+1:

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner That’s exactly what he embodied Toby. He was the music and the moment and the joy.

It sure has flipped a switch in my head. so much so that it’s influenced the songs I’m preparing for the OM. Because it’s a rowdy bar, I’ve been working on bangers, but they don’t really set me on fire like my other songs.

1 Like

Then go with your flow me dear !! Hope La Nina is not giving you too much strife as I see NSW getting hit again ! :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Notter it may encourage you to know that there will be a time when the pushing the red button causes you to feel excited, pleased, happy to be singing/playing. I had this happen a couple of weeks ago. I got so caught up in how much fun I was having with a singing assignment, I couldn’t wait to record it. The mic has become my friend, and now I love stepping up to it. As @DavidP noted about his playing when he’s in the zone, I’m singing better as a result.

Watching the boy play has flipped a similar switch in my head. I’m aiming to do an OM at the same bar next week.

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner so far the worst of the weather has skirted around us, and places like Lismore further south that still haven’t recovered from earlier in the year.

1 Like