Beginner Blues Solo

Thanks. I read the thread before I posted. I asked if there’s a way to unlock the file. Any ideas?

Have a great day.

1 Like

How can I replicate it? Export is grayed out, as is the Save As in the File menu. I’m new to music software, so I was looking for some help.

Enjoy your day.

1 Like

Hi Dude.
When I made the backing track above I used guitar pro and created it by referring to the pdf file of the tab that is also downloadable on the lesson page.
Do you know enough about tab creation and guitar pro to be able to do that?

1 Like

Hi Richard,

Okay, thanks. I was hoping for that file to be opened up, so I could play with it. I used MuseScore once on assignment from an online instructor to create my own lick. It was a bit daunting, but I completed the task. MuseScore was a bit limiting, so I’ll try to tackle Guitar Pro. I started on YouTube last night; I just need to find some instruction aimed at my level. Thanks for checking in. I appreciate it.

Have a great day!

2 Likes

@The_Dude I’m new to music software too. When @Richard_close2u posted the matching backing track that he created using Guitar Pro referring to the PDF it inspired me to give it ago. I found it a good way to familiarize myself with the basics of the software.

1 Like

So simple…but so hard when you try to do it with correct timing!

Here’s a link to a recording:

Mod Edit note: we prefer things to be posted once so I took the liberty of changing this post to rather be a link to your recording in AVOYP.

1 Like

@math07 Thanks I missed that. I guess I just normally change the bpm to something I can initially keep up with, and over time, I speed it up as I get the hang of it. Again, I wish Justin would put out more stuff in gp.

Appreciate the help.

1 Like

Thanks for the jam track! That really helps me with the solo and it is so much fun! I also like how Justin is showing us how to count - counting has been a challenge for me but now I’m starting to get it!

1 Like

I have enough trouble playing/remembering the notes never mind doing it in any sort of time.

More to the point why do we have to do it to a ‘time’? Why can’t we just play it as we want to and what fits our ability/skill level.

1 Like

Who said you have to play at a certain tempo? Isn’t Justin’s mantra “start slowly”?

1 Like

Stuart, I’m working on the solo too. Justin tells us in his video, that it’s important to work on a fluent playing and memorizing of each part of the solo first, then to put it toghether and only after being able to play it the whole way through to work on speed and timing issues.
As long as you play it on it’s own, you can play it at your own speed, but as soon as you maybe want it to play over a backing track/blues progression (like Richard’s at the very beginning of this thread) you have to be “in time”. Same, when you play with another guitarist.
I would first learn to memorize the solo and to play it slowly, step by step, and if you can play it, play it along with Justin at the end of the video, that allows you to get a feeling for the timing. Then add the count Justin showes to your tab and try it on your own. It takes time for sure, but it’s worth it and teaches us a lot (getting a feeling for the blues, accuracy, timing, your first step into blues soloing and a lot of fun and joy)

3 Likes

Justin refers to the opening 3 notes of the beginner blues solo lesson intro as the D7 shape of A7. But there ain’t no root note? In the open position A7 there’s a root note on the open fifth string.

1 Like

You’re right. The notes are C# E & G. The 3rd, 5th and 7th of an A7 chord. You need to add the 7th fret of the D string to add the A root note, which he does at 1:32 when he says “it’s actually an A7 chord”. I guess he means the three notes of intro are part of an A7 chord.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. So are the other “climb up” D7 shapes also parts of chords?

1 Like

Technically it’s a “step down” progression. Without checking all the notes the intro looks like the three top notes of the chords A7, G#7 and G7.

1 Like

Ah, I recognize the G7 (G B D F). So the “unspoken” root note slides down along the 4th string from fret 7 to 5. Fascinating.

1 Like

I have just about memorised the various parts and can just about play this through.

Don’t really understand this time thing to be honest. I can see from the tab that there are differing spaces between notes but actually does it really matter. Isn’t it about interpretation to some extent? Do really get the shuffle thing either when playing notes.

I’ll keep plugging away at it for the time being to see where it goes. If I get it then great!!

1 Like

When @jacksprat comments:

He has it right.
As an intro, before any backing track begins, it has no context and those three notes could be something different to an A7 chord. There is a certain ambiguity about it.

BUT

The sound of that 7th is a very recognisable one. And as soon as it is followed by the semitone movements down, it is very evidently a well-used blues cliche and fixes it as an A7 chord fragment. The A7 is implied.

Check the intro for Walking Easy Blues … it performs the same trick, the descending chromatic lead-in riff but this time beginning with a fragment that implies an E7 chord.

Where are these ascending parts? Everything after the intro is single notes.

Technically, yes. But it is just commonly referred to as a chromatic movement rather than naming each individually implied chord.

Follow along by reading the TAB as Justin plays and counts all parts from 09:50 in the video.
There is a time factor that you want to get the feel of when playing to the backing track. Without a backing track you have liberty to play around with the timing but don’t want to go too far off piste or it will sound sloppy.

I hope that helps.
Richard
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I watched the lesson and need some clarification. I believe the backing track is in the chords E, A and D and i wonder if it is possible to get the chord progression. Also, the solo is played in the A-minor pentatonic scale, which, if i understand it correct - you play the root note and around it as and when the corresponding chord appears, is that correct? Lastly, i noticed that at the end Justin ‘leaves’ the A minor pentatonic scale playing the (if i recall correctly) F#, F and ending on the E note. Is that correct?

1 Like

@Jan68 if you go to post 29 jacksprat posted a tab sheet to the lesson. Hope that helps

3 Likes