Beginner Module 2 should I move forward (some pain and tiredness in my left wrist/hand)?

Hi All, hope you are doing well.
I am doing Beginner module 2 and am able to do the 1 minute chord transitions more than 45 for each. I am able to get through all the songs (muddling through some parts).
My concern is that at the end of the practice routine for this, My forearm of my left hand (I am right-handed) is extremely tired and hurts a little in the wrist and thumb area.
So, should I stay with this a bit more until I build up endurance or should I keep going? I just got through the songs in the entirety today for the first time without stopping. Previously, it was hurting a bit and I had to pause. I feel like the cause here is that I am still not putting my fingers on exactly the right positions and it is forcing me to press pretty hard on the strings. So, I need less pressure and greater endurance, from what I see of myself.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Hi @drake_equation I made the same experience with tiredness in my fretting hand and a little wrist pain, as I practiced a lot during Grade 1. On the accoustic I have to press a little hard, this causes also some stresses for the basic joint of the thumb. The subsequent subjects in Grade 2, such as the F Chord or Power Chords are stressing my wrist even more and sometimes my hands are a bit tired of playing and I feel it in my wrist.
Apart from other reasons, I switched to the electric guitar for excercises, because less effort is needed to press strings down, what relieves wrist and thumb. Also Iā€™m experimenting a bit with the positioning of my fretting hand/arm to get more comfortable.
When i feel that itā€™s getting too much, I try to shorten my practice sessions, or take a day offā€¦ but thatā€™s really hardā€¦
I also try to play standing up, for me thatā€™s a certain relief too.
If you suffer from severe pain, I would see a doctor, not to risk serious injuries :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe split your practice routine over the day if you can. Give your hands a break in between.

Thereā€™s only you can decide if youā€™re ready to move onto the next module, I guess having more to go at may mean doing less of the exact same thing, allowing time for forearms to recover.

For example, you could look at strumming patterns and just mute the strings with the fretting hand.

2 Likes

I think this is very important, get arm and wrist in the right position.

For finger pain I thought 20 minutes a day, for 4 or 5 days was recommended. Not to overdo it. But position is very important. Not too much bend in the wrist and get thumb in the right place, though mine now moves around for different chords

As to moving on, if you are doing 45 changes in chords for module and can play a song or two, then move on. Endurance comes with time, no matter what the grade. Moving on is about being OK with the techniques in the lesson. Have you looked at the Nitsuj videos ā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:
Not expert here as grade 2.

3 Likes

I agree entirely with this, move on, you will continue to build endurance as you learn new skills.

3 Likes

Youā€™ll have some muscle soreness/tiredness for suire because you are using things unlike they are used too.

Joint issues are another matter make sure you are holding the guitar correctly and dont have an odd angle with your wrist

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I also practice standing up actually. I had not thought about getting an electric, but I will consider that. My kids would love it I am sure to play around with an electric guitar. I think my problem with it is that I really know nothing about them and would not really know what to get or how to get started. I do not want to get something so cheap that it does not work, but I am so new that I do not want to get something of significant expense.

Indeed. When I am moving between A and D in particular with the 1 minute drill, my wrist ends up getting twisted for some reason. Just the way my fingers are positioned. Hopefully it will get better.

A lot of people around her are able to help you. Have a look at the Gear and Tools section or try out the search feature, sure that this subject was already picked up. I would go to a guitar center to try out different models and to get the feeling, if an electric guitar is more comfortable for you. If so, I personally would choose a mid priced, versatile guitar, maybe with splitable pickups. But thereā€™s a lot more exerienced folks here who certainly can give you good advice.

1 Like

If you are thinking of an electric the have a look at a Yamaha Pacifica or something from the Squier Affinity range.

As Helen says, go check them out in a store and see how you feel. Just play a few chords, maybe part of a song with A and D.

2 Likes

Here are my 2 cents: I would not switch to electric guitar because of fretting hand fatigue. If you want to play electric guitar style music, by all means go for it. But if your musical interests tend towards the acoustic, then stick with it. Eventually, the fatigue and soreness will diminish and finally go away.

1 Like

Not to be misunderstood, I didnā€™t mean to change completely to an electric. I ADDED an electric to my gear, mainly as Justinā€™s course teaches a lot of techniques were an electric is useful and I use it to practice chord changes, the F chord changes, powerchords etc. . Itā€™s a bit easier and less strenous for the wrist. So I can train my muscels for the accoustic too. I first wanted to stay only with the accoustic, but meanwhile, for me, itā€™s a real enrichment to play both of them :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yep Justin recommends learning on an electric early in Grade 1! I followed that advice and do not regret it at all.

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation. I really had no idea what to look for and this gives me something to start with when I visit the music store.

No worries. I am just doing this for fun as a hobby. If it looks like fun to me, I will certainly try it since I have no particular goals but to enjoy myself.

1 Like

Other good guitars exist, try a number. An Epiphone in same price range perhaps. Different people prefer different guitars.

I just watched the first Nitsuj video and it is gold. Thank you for suggesting it. It is actually really fun to watch.

2 Likes

You can get a good idea of where you should be before moving on. :grinning: