Beginner's safe space

@jkahn Thanks for the encouraging words.

1 Like

@DavidP Thanks. I have just put up a new recording with some of my ideas. I now feel more confident to create a video for the larger community audience.

2 Likes

@Eddie_09 Thanks. I have a lot of experience playing and singing with the beginner open chords in the last 20 years or more. I am looking forward to advancing beyond lifetime beginner.

1 Like

Hi Stephen,
I really liked it and good to watch and listen to :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:ā€¦You are absolutely right to get out of the beginner safe place :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
See you someware else :grin:
Greetings ,Rogier

2 Likes

Great couple of videos Steve.

The videos themselves look fine, I wouldnā€™t get too hung up, as long as folk can hear you and if your guitar is in shot they can provide some feedback on technique :+1:

Looking / sounding good from here :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@roger_holland Rogier, thank you so much for the praise and encouraging words. That is the best part of this community. The encouragement and kind words pushes you to play better on the guitar.

2 Likes

@liaty Dave, thanks for the encouraging feedback. I was worried that my videos would be laughable in their quality, but if you enjoyed them that is good enough.

1 Like

Things are coming along nicely there Stephen and itā€™s good that you can self-analyse and see where changes need making. The strumming and the singing were both good.

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting as well.

2 Likes

Latest version sounded pretty good, Stephen. Scotty Moore is a legend!

2 Likes

Hello everbody :slightly_smiling_face:,
after enjoying quite a long consolidation phase in grade 1, Iā€™ve finally decided, that Iā€™ve earned my ā€˜white beltā€™ and, therefore, to move on to the next grade :hugs:.
During the last weeks, I primarely worked on memorising my 5 songs. Two of them, Iā€™d like to show you now.

The first song is The GAMBLER by Kenny Rogers. It was a bit of a challenge due to the finger picking/strumming combination, I chose for playing. And due to the relatively long lyrics. It took me quite long before I was able to sing them by heart.
Besides some smaller mistakes in the video, there is also a big one :flushed:. But I decided to keep it as it is :blush:.

The second song is LAST KISS by Pearl Jam. Although the chord progression stays the same the whole song through, I still struggle with the changes a bit - and keeping up a steady rhythm. But the biggest hurdle was my narrow voice range. I definitely noticed a progress since Iā€™ve started learning this song, but still, itā€™s far from perfect :see_no_evil:. But I tried my best :innocent:.

Thanks a lot in advance for taking the time to listen to my songs. Feedback and advices are very much appreciated :smiley:.

23 Likes

That was very impressive Nicole! Good solid strumming and I am always impressed by people who can sing and play fingerstyle at the same time. I wouldnā€™t worry about hitting the high notes as that will come with more singing practice ( the voice is an instrument too that develops the more you use it) . You are making great progress! Keep it up :+1:

2 Likes

Bravo Nicole, singing and playing by the end of Grade 1 thatā€™s quite a feat !!
As Eddie said you were pretty sloid throughout, good to see that strumming hand moving.
Yes a little stuttering when doing the bass n strum on the Gambler but greater fluidity will come with practice and its that much harder when you are thinking about singing as well. So good job. Vocals will improve range wise with practice but I thought you sang well in spite of those couple of high parts. Good time to be moving on to G2. Good vibes.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well @NicoleKKB Iā€™d say you passed Grade 1 with flying colours. That was very good playing and singing. You should be very proud of yourself. You can move onto Grade 2 with confidence and you can take those songs to another level with the techniques you will learn in Grade 2. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

@NicoleKKB Nicole, Bravo! Great performance for Grade 1. I am impressed that you memorized the lyrics. I confess that I have read my lyrics while playing on my videos.
You have solid chord changes. Good luck as you move on to Grade 2.

I noticed that you have decided to not use a pick. It sounds good and especially with The Gambler, but I was wondering whether you had tried a pick and just feel more comfortable with strumming with your fingertips?

2 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo, Nicole, letā€™s celebrate consolidation and starting in on Grade 2!

Both songs showcased, clean chords, smooth changes, and steady strumming. Singing and playing well already. Well done. Lots to be delighted about, proud of, and celebrate.

In case you are now aware, something to focus on is the foot-tapping. I think at times you tap on every strum rather than just on the beat. If I may say, in my own experience playing, singing, and foot-tapping was ā€¦ is ā€¦ quite challenging for me. It is only recently that I find I am able to play, sing, and tap steadily on the beat.

Without making any biased assumptions, are you left-handed, fretting with your right-hand? I ask only on the off chance that you are actually right-handed and not aware of the mirror/flip setting in your phoneā€™s camera (assuming making the video with a phone), since it happens frequently. Not a big deal, regardless.

Keep doing what you are doing and enjoy Grade 2.

2 Likes

Nicole @NicoleKKB
Well done
As you noted in a comment on my Learnerā€™s Log we both are at about the same point in the journey, so in my opinion it is time to move on.
Michael :grinning::+1:

2 Likes

Great work Nicole, sounds like Grade 1 is well and truly done for you.

2 Likes

Terrific @NicoleKKB, youā€™ve achieved a lot there and absolutely ready for Grade 2. It took me a long time to get comfortable singing with anything beyond simple down strums so kudos.
Congratulations! :metal:

2 Likes

Nicole that was superb, well done for a Grade 1 graduate you are doing very well! Loved the Last Kiss song as a big PJ fan, you did it justice. First song was a lot trickier due to being pick and strum but you managed to keep in time which was a great surprise.

My only question is regarding your guitar and how itā€™s situated - I think second video there are no issues but on the first one was back of your guitar resting against your sofa? Itā€™s hard to tell as camera doesnā€™t go that far but if it hadnā€™t ignore my question; if it had - try to rest it fully against your leg in order to help your back to feel more comfy.

Again bravo!

2 Likes

On the whole I thought both were very good and there is nothing wrong with the vocals. As @TheMadman_tobyjenner said there seemed to be a short delay on the bass strum on the gambler and i noticed the same with your foot tapping. I had similar issues but they improve with practice. Go to move on now.

3 Likes