Beginner's safe space

Hi Nicole,… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :bouquet: :bouquet:
Grade one is gone and behind you…
Greetings Rogier

1 Like

Hello, and thank you everybody so much for taking the time to watch my videos, giving me valuable feedback and advice :grinning: .

@Eddie_09

Hey Eddie, yes, that’s so true. I’ve already noticed that. When I started learning The Gambler, I had to use a capo to make the song fit to my voice. Meanwhile, I don’t need it anymore. I’m really looking forward to what will be possible in about 6 months :smiley: .

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

Hello Toby, oh yes, that’s still quite a hard pattern for me. But it sounded so nice (I discovered it on YT) that I absolutely wanted to implement it to my playing. And thanks for giving it a name - bass n strum - I haven’t known that it is called that way :speak_no_evil: . I’ll keep on practicing.

@Socio

Thanks James, I’m already curious of what is waiting there for me to learn in grade 2 :smiley:. I’d love to improve my songs with new techniques :star_struck: .

@SteveL_G99

Hello Stephen, to be honest, I’ve tried to use a pick just once - last week. I didn’t have one in the beginning, and than later on, I didn’t see a reason for using it. Finally, I decided to buy one (the thinnest I could get). It felt okay, but I was kind of shocked by how loud my guitar suddenly sounded :hear_no_evil: . I didn’t like that volume. So I came back to use my fingertips.

@DavidP

Hello David, yes, you’re absolutely right. Tapping my foot on the beat becomes difficult the moment I play a strumming pattern like ‘old faithful’ or sth. similar. In this case, I really have to concentrate on my leg’s movement. That’s okay as long as I don’t sing. But with singing, my brain seems to shout “No, not with me!”. I’m aware of this matter, and will definitely put further effort into it :innocent: .

No, oh my goodness. Thanks so much for mentioning that. When watching the videos, I felt that something was a bit strange. Now, I know what it was :sweat_smile: . I’ve already changed my phone’s settings. (That’s a bit embarrassing :flushed: :wink: .)

@MAT1953

Thanks Michael, I’ll start module 8 right after finnishing this reply :blush:.

@jkahn

Thank you JK. It took some time, but yes, now I feel ready to move on :smiley: .

@Notter

Thanks Mark, oh yes, it’s definitely not an easy task. But as it’s my goal to play AND sing at camp fires and similar occasions, it was quite clear for me right from the beginning, that I want to learn both :slight_smile: .

@adi_mrok

Thank you, Adi, that’s a big compliment :grinning: .

To be honest, I absolutely don’t know. I was so concentrated on the song, that I didn’t recognize anything else :sweat_smile: . But I don’t think so :thinking:.
I have to admit, that I normally don’t play on the sofa. But as my favourite seat in the kitchen was occupied by another family member, I had to migrate to the living room :wink: .

@skinnyt

Thank you, Trevor. Oh definitely - practice AND patience. But I’m confident that I will get there sometime. I very much appreciate your motivational words :slight_smile: .

6 Likes

You give me too much credit Nicole ! It was a description more than a label and I am sure there is a more technical term for that action. I just don’t know what it is. :rofl:
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh, okay Toby. But it sounded good :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Well done Nicole! Both songs were done very well and I think you’re well and truly ready to move on to Grade 2

1 Like

Both songs were great Nicole :clap:t2: :clap:t2: :clap:t2: and singing along too :clap:t2: :clap:t2: :clap:t2: take a bow :smiley:

1 Like

Nicole, you played both songs really well. Good timing and nice clear notes (no buzzing or slurring notes together). Time for you to move on to G2 :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your positive feedback, Milos. It is very much appreciated :blush:.
By the way, I’ve just googled Noose Heads. It looks like paradise :open_mouth:.

1 Like

Good thing we have @davidp to keep an eye on the weary eyed @Richard_close2u and cover his tracks!!!
:slight_smile:

LB

1 Like

@sah22

RE: Push

Good on you for pushing yourself, and taking a step into the unknown of recording your first play through. Fumbles aside due to unfamiliarity you had a lot of good going on there. Your chord changes were mostly on point and you have developed good finger independence in making the changes. Your strumming hand is steady away. One other aspect of following the app - not often mentioned - is that it forces you to play without looking at your hands, a valuable skill.
Keep it up, good stuff. :slight_smile:

Hi Stephen
RE: That’s Alright Mama
You had some good groovy rhythm going on there, certainly in keeping with the rock n roll vibe. I understand why your own analysis highlights your issues with swapping and changing between the strumming rhythms. You want to eventually aim to use them to help you build and develop the story of your song with judicious use of energy and dynamics at the right moments. Having said that, the whole song is pretty full on and bouncing and doesn’t require a lot of contrast between soft and heavy dynamics.
Good stuff.
Also, kudos for trying to figure out your technical setup, no matter what equipment you are using, making it work best for you is a good thing.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

@SteveL_G99

RE: That’s Alright Mama 4th take (2nd video)

Bravo.
That was a tighter, more focused slice of rhythm guitar. Being conscious of which pattern you are going to play and having a plan for it makes everything hang together better. Bravo.
The wider aspect is good too. There’s lots of discussion on recording setups here.
:+1:

1 Like

Hi Nicole, two good AVOYPs in one post! :slight_smile:

In both, you have steady-groovy, tappy-footy, noddy-heady and sing-a-longy.
:wink:

RE: The Gambler
Nice changes between thumb on the bass and strumming, and your thumb always finds the correct string for the chord. Bravo.

RE: Last Kiss
More good stuff. One thought. On the G chord you are playing a 2-finger version with fingers 2 and 3. Finger 3 is consistently late to the party in finding its place on the high E string. That is something to set a minute or two aside in practice time and work on simultaneous landing of fingers.

In future modules you will learn alternative versions of that chord - stuck 3&4 G chord and a weak-finger G chord.

Cheers
Richard

1 Like

Thanks so much, Richard, for taking the time to watch my AVOYPs :hugs:.
I also appreciate your comment about my 3rd finger being a bit late to find its place in the G chord. I haven’t recognized that yet and will definitely have an eye on it :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Hi Nichole, good playing and singing. Steady rhythm and clean chord changes.

2 Likes

I enjoyed Last Kiss very much. I too practiced that song quite a bit. I was tempted to try that at the community open mic, but chickened out. Nice job.

2 Likes

Thank you Richard. Many positives you’ve listed. I appreciate that.

More positives coming. I can actually hit F barre in some songs now. Particularly from C to F. Working on Am to F.

1 Like

Thank you, Andres :hugs:.

1 Like

Thank you, Scott. Would have been funny if both of us performed that song at the OM :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Hi Nicole,
Noosa is a nice place to live - it’s where all old musos’ go to die :smile:

2 Likes