Beginner's safe space

@Chiara93
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo, Chaira, that truly was ‘short and sweet’. Playing and singing both sounded good. Keep on keeping on and I look forward to a full recording of the song when you are ready.

1 Like

Here is my second attempt at Pearl Jam’s black ,hopefully better than the last time I played this. I have been working hard on my timing and in general strumming . I think I have improved and will continue to work on my timing. Also working on dynamics’s and sus cords.

7 Likes

Hi Jeff,
That sounds pretty good and looks good :sunglasses: :clap:
A lot to like,
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Thanks to Justins teaching for making my guitar journey easier then when I tried last time I tried the guitar. I have improved and plan on pushing forward. Thank you roger for your kind words.

2 Likes

Your timing and strumming look and sound good. You need to get your guitar much more vertical though.

When you’re learning it’s really tempting to either lean over the guitar or lean it back to you to get a good view of the strings, though these will turn into habits that are hard to break, (and you do need to break them!). In the longer term, if you lean forward all the time while playing then that can be bad for your back, while if you tip the guitar back to you, then stretching your hand around to fret can lead to wrist and finger problems, such as carpal tunnel syndrome; both of which are best avoided if you can!

It looks as though you may be sat on a couch/sofa and this may be encouraging you to lean back and take the guitar with you? It will help you (and your body) to sit on something more like a dining room chair, which will encourage you to sit more upright.

Look forward to to seeing more soon!

1 Like

You are right I was on my couch laid back on a Sunday morning. I don’t always play like that .but thanks for the input and will try to knocking out the bad habits.

2 Likes

That sounded really good Jeff. Lots to be pleased with there. The timing sounded good and everything was nice and clean.

Some great advice there from Iain too. Try standing up and see how that feels. Watching you play I don’t think you would have any problems with your chords changes whilst not looking at your fretboard.

2 Likes

I Will try standing I have been playing in seated position since I started. And past guitar teacher was always having me sitting.

3 Likes

Well… I said, I would never take a video of me playing. Just this week, I did still insist “never”. Remember, @SDKissFan ?

Never say never it seems. Dearest moderators, since this is not a song from Beginner’s Grade 1 ( or 2 or 3, which I have no business even looking at yet :laughing:), please feel free to delete this post.

10 Likes

@JokuMuu Well done on Justin’s "Distract yourself " excercise :joy:. In the video for ex. he wants us to tell, what we had for dinner yesterday and several days ago. Yesterday, ok, but coudn’t remember, even without playing guitar, what we had for dinner a few days ago :see_no_evil: :joy: Must be the age…

3 Likes

Great job stepping outside of your comfort zone. I’m sure it felt great just you your guitar and the Baltic Sea. Well done Nicole.

2 Likes

Thanks :blush: That’s the important step here, yes. I also noticed that I love telling stories while playing, so that is probably an important step fo getting ready to play and sing again.

Got some minor sunburn though, but that has been perfectly worth it. Things not to forget next time: Sunscreen, water, a blanket and some memorized songs :smile:

1 Like

Well done Nicole on saying no to never saying never. A nice little distraction video, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks for your kindness. It was a very big step for me indeed.

2 Likes

You got this Nicole!!
Cool that you just threw yourself out there! Your fingerpicking was not bad at all. Lots of things to be happy about!
Just keep up the good work!! :+1::grin:

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:. Let’s say it’s some kind of basis to start building up on. Lots of room for improvement but hopeless it is not. Like I just wrote in my Learning Log, it looks as if I am in this for the long haul this time.

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo, Nicole, bravo.

Never say never indeed!

Making excellent progress, sounding good when you are in the groove. Keep doing what you are doing and you’ll keep on improving.

1 Like

Thank you so much! You made my day :smiley:

2 Likes

@Libitina RE: Nobody Leaves A Girl / What’s Up and Last Christmas
All good all round. You have solid and consistent strumming and seem well in control of things throughout with good song stamina. Bravo. You sometimes get a tiny bit ahead of the beat though not by much and you bring it back soon enough. When you get the weak finger G chord mastered you will find it an easier and quicker transition between G, C, Am etc.
Good going! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jwaters re: Pearl Jam - Black
You have clearly worked on timing and strumming and that was solid. You kept it going too with good concentration. A few small details. It is difficult to tell from the angle but it seemed like your body posture was a little laid-back in a chair with one leg crossed over the other. That isn’t optimal seating for good practice. I think you may have been using a very thin pick and it looked as though a lot was sticking out from your finger and thumb ends. Try retractiing it a little, you don’t need very much plastic sticking proud beyond your tips. Some of your more vigorous strumming arcs were very wide. I often share this pic. It’s message is not a hard and afast rule but is a reasonable indicator of where you want to be headed.

Good stuff Jeff. :slight_smile: