Belated NGD - PRS SE Paul’s Guitar

I’ve been away for a while from the community, so as I was updating my guitar journal I thought I’ll add a way overdue NGD post about my first PRS guitar that I bought back in February of this year online from Peach Guitars (great customer service by the way and highly recommended guitar store)…

PRS SE Paul’s Guitar (Black Gold Burst) that I’ve named “Dune”

I purchased and upgraded it with the following mods all from John Mann’s Guitar Vault:

PRS Guitars PRS Knobs, Lampshade - Amber with Black
Switchcraft 3-Way Toggle Switch Tip - Black
MannMade USA MannMade USA Vintage Style Locking Tuner Set - Nickel, Black Button
D’Addario NYXL 09-42 strings (much easier to learn string bending on)

As for the guitar itself:

• I love the shorter 25" scale length, it’s perfect for my size (easier on my shoulders).
  • I was never a fan of gloss finish necks but PRS’ gloss finish is much different than others I’ve tried and feels pretty good without being sticky. I still prefer the satin neck on my Fender American Strat, but this is my the best feeling gloss neck I’ve tried.
  • The fret finishing is amazing for an import guitar, very well rounded and smooth (better than my Fender Strat).
  • I still prefer the narrow tall frets on my Fender Strat, but I’ve gotten used to these medium jumbos frets (I think).
  • The neck is chunkier than any of the guitars I have, but I’ve gotten comfortable with it now and actually like it.
  • The humbuckers sound amazing (I prefer it over my Epiphone Les Paul) and the coil splitting is really good although I don’t use them much.
  • Neither the original tuners nor the replacement locking tuners are that great, they do keep tune pretty well, but while tuning I have to turn them half-a-turn to a full turn before they engage which feels weird.
  • The intonation is surprisingly good for a non-adjustable stop-tail bridge. I was worried about this, but it’s just amazingly well made.
  • The placement of all the knobs and switches are much more comfortable and out of the way compared to my Strats.
  • The pickups, 8 switching options, and simple knob controls, gives it a variety of amazing sounding tones.
  • The overall materials, finishing, colors, feel, and little touches (like the birds on the fretboard) give it an extremely premium feel.
  • The included gig bag is really well-made, great padding, comfortable straps, spacious storage pocket with various dividers and zipped compartments.
  • Overall, I’m loving this guitar and actually play it more than my Fender American Pro II Strat now (although I still love both). It just has an amazing overall feel to it that can’t be attributed to just one aspect of it, but it’s the overall design of all the parts together.

You can hear me playing my PRS SE Paul’s here:

2024-05-06-BBKing-Thrill-Solo1
2024-05-06-BBKing-Thrill-Solo2

I’m definitely sold on how amazing PRS guitars are if this is how they make the low end import line. I’ve now got my eye on the PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo if they’re ever back in stock in any of the online European retailers, and even more so craving the newer 2024 PRS S2 McCarty 594 which is one of their mid-level American made guitars.

@Catman62 Tod busted me and spotted some other new guitars that I hadn’t posted in any NGD posts, so I might as well throw them in this post:

Yamaha APX600 Acoustic (Oriental Blue Burst) “Obi-Wan”

Harley Benton HB-35Plus VS (Vintage Burst) “Ember”

12 Likes

Ooh I do like that Firas. You know you can get bigger racks :wink:

5 Likes

What a beauty - enjoy!

2 Likes

Hey Toby, yeah I’ve seen the ones you have :rofl: Although I don’t have much empty room in my man cave so I’ll have to resort to hanging some of them up and possibly selling some off (I’ve already got my first Strat packed away in a hard case). Definitely will have to make more room with my birthday coming up in June, so a new guitar will likely be coming then too :grinning:

@Gonetoearth It sure is! Thanks Godfrey :blush:

2 Likes

Beautiful guitar, congratulations! :smiley:
Would those locking tuners just drop in the same slots or you had to drill?

1 Like

Noooooooooooooooooooo

4 Likes

That is one very sweet looking guitar, Firas. I love the colour.

Do some wall hanging, no selling. :smiley:

2 Likes

The ideal wall for hanging guitars can be found in China I believe

5 Likes

Thanks @Boris1565 :blush: Those locking tuners were a perfect fit, no drilling needed.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner and @SgtColon Just the Epiphone Les Paul, maybe. I really haven’t played it since I got my Fender Strat or the PRS. That’s even if it will sell here. There’s not much of a used guitar market here in Kuwait. So if I can’t sell it, it’ll eventually go up on the wall with the Harley Benton (beautiful looking guitar, surprisingly well-made for the next to nothing price, but never liked the overall feel of it). I’m keeping my original Squier Strat though, I’ve modded the heck out of it, and even though I don’t play it anymore, the sentimental value is too high :grinning:

That just might be enough for my guitar wish list… maybe :rofl:

3 Likes

I could say something but @sairfingers Gordon reminded me about the PC police.

5 Likes

Same here with my 28 year old Affinity, well pimped and a keeper as my first guitar. :+1:

1 Like

Yes I believe there are twin racks available. :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi Firas & welcome back!!! I had noticed your absence lately & wondered if you’d given up guitar… now I see that you’ve been too busy buying new gear to post!!! :joy:
I’m with you on the truly amazing quality of the PRS SE line… lots of bang for the dinar!!!
Personally, I don’t want a big guitar rack, just a bigger music room with more wall space to hang my collection on & admire the “scenery”!!! :crazy_face::ok_hand:t2::smile:

Tod

P.S. Just realized that I didn’t address the original post… Beautiful new guitar! I love the color & can’t wait to hear it!
Also, what’s your blue acoustic? I’m getting old & can’t remember seeing that one before, although I do remember you mentioning that you are partial to blue guitars!

1 Like

Looks good and I’m sure it plays as well as you say. Nice.

Some of the new S2’s have American-made parts, but the guitars are not built in US if I’m not mistaken. I also would like a hollowbody instrument.

1 Like

Last time vacationing in California, it was pretty obvious that a person (male as well as female :nauseated_face:) can purchase pretty much any size they want……… :roll_eyes:

Tod

@CATMAN62 Hey Tod and thanks my friend :blush: I hope you’re doing well. You’re absolutely right, been too busy buying guitars and learning to play the blues (that along with several personal & family circumstances that are a part of life).

Your memory is better than mine since you remembered my love of everything blue and your eyesight is sharp spotting the other new guitars in the guitar rack :grin: The acoustic is a Yamaha APX600 in Oriental Blue Burst (although it’s more a turquoise than straight up blue). You’re also correct that I hadn’t mentioned that one before, no NGD post for that. Great beginner acoustic guitar, although I did switch out the plastic nut and bridge for bone ones as well as the plastic string pins for ebony wood ones and also replaced the tuners with locking ones (can’t help tinkering). I’ll update the top post with photos of it as well as the Harley Benton semi-hollowbody.

@dblinden Thanks Dennis :blush: As far as I know, the S2 series have been made in the US since at least 2013 but they used to have imported pickups, electronics, and bridges from the SE line. With the 2024 models, they changed the pickups and electronics to the Core model ones made in the USA (although I believe they still use the imported bridges from the SE lines). You can read about the changes in PRS’ blog post here.

You can hear me playing my PRS SE Paul’s here:

2024-05-06-BBKing-Thrill-Solo1
2024-05-06-BBKing-Thrill-Solo2

2 Likes

Gotta say Firas…
You have pretty good taste in gear!!!

We’re a couple of Blue Guitar Blues Men!!! Well someday maybe we’ll be Blues Men!!! Love your Yamaha & the Fender!

My PRS is the semi-hollow Zach Meyers SE in “Meyers Blue”… it’s got a hint of turquoise to it also…. Not sure if I’ve posted a pic of it anywhere…
That Black Gold is definitely a looker! IF I buy another PRS, it’ll be a solid body in that color!!!
Congratulations again my friend!!!

Tod

1 Like

Lovely guitar there. I tried one of these at Swee Lee in KL and I really liked it.

I wasn’t sure about the aesthetic of the toggle switches though, although the functionality was good.

But a fabulous guitar and, if I was in the market for something like that, it would be near the top of my list.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Hi Firas,
Happy NGD :partying_face: :sunglasses:

What a ridiculously beautiful guitar, I wanted to buy that PRS color myself, but unfortunately the guitar was too heavy for me, but I still almost bought it, but if I only played it for 10 minutes once or twice a week, I thought I think it’s a bit of a waste and I would rather invest in another one… but O o o this sight makes it tickle again,
Grreetings

1 Like

@Majik thanks :blush: I originally was looking to get one in that blue finish in your photo, but the black burst that wraps around to the back (all black neck and back of the body) won me over. I love blue, but I’m also a sucker for black burst variations :smiling_face: The toggle switches do look a bit off, but they’re small enough not to notice, and more importantly the placement of all the knobs & switches is out of the way of my strumming hand unlike my Strats.

@roger_holland thanks Rojier :blush: I actually started looking into PRS guitars cause the longer scale length on my Strats was bothering my right shoulder. I didn’t have that issue with my Epiphone LP which got me thinking it might be the scale length. So I was looking for something with a shorter scale than my Strats but more ergonomic than my LPs which led me to PRS guitars. I see a PRS Vela Semi-hollow in your profile photo, so I’m guessing that’s a more comfortable cut and weight for you? Beautiful looking guitar by the way :heart_eyes:

1 Like