Bending Technique In Blues

@Richard_close2u @LievenDV

I am just revisiting the updated course (changed a bit for the better) as a refresher to move the first few patterns into different Keys.

Justin mentions a fretboard diagram being available on the website and 4 exercises of which notes to bend. That was certainly not in the info/tabs etc I saved from the old version of the course and I don’t see either of these linked from the lesson test.

I can happily work out where he’s bending from and to interval wise, when he demonstrates which notes to bend but others may benefit from the materials he actually refers to.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up Toby. I don’t see it either.

OK so the 4 exercises Justin is demonstrating are (all in the Key of A) Intervals included for anyone wanting to transpose to a different key :smiley:

Bend Notes to/from Intervals
B string 8th fret tone bend. G to A. 7b to Root.
G string 7th fret tone bend. D to E. 4th to 5th.
G string 7th fret semi tone bend. D to Eb. 4th to flat 5th (the Blues note).
e string 8th fret tone bend. C to D. Flat 3rd to 4th.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Toby

6 Likes

Hi. Is it a definitively wrong technique to mute a bent string with the pick or finger (if not using a pick) and should muting strictly be done with the palm of the picking hand?

1 Like

@tee.bee

Welcome to the Community, Thomas.

I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules. I think the real test would be in what you are doing immediately after the bend and if muting with the pick/finger makes that harder or not possible.

As a rule of thumb when learning anything new from Justin’s lessons, I tend to do exactly as he says. Then later one may learn more options and adapt things to suit yourself. So I’d suggest practice that muting with the edge of the palm technique as taught.

But I am just another advancing beginner.

@Richard_close2u Richard, can you add to or correct my reply; thanks.

1 Like

I am reminded of another old-forum article I wrote here. Taking the first steps in Improvising / playing Blues Lead Guitar

Thanks Richard.

I went through that topic and found this gem I’ll nominate that for the ‘Most helpful tip’ award in learning to hear a bend. And I can use this same trick to hear the D to E interval with a little adjustment. Maybe my ears are a little better tuned that I thought :grin:

2 Likes

David

Very similar to what I was saying to you or Gordon a few weeks back. Take time repeatedly switching between the note you are going to bend and the target note. Either just fret source and target back and forth, slide to the target, hammer the target. Work on those movements repeatedly to get that target pitch in your head, then bend. Wash rinse repeat. If I can play the Unison on the string below, I will hold the bend and check it that way. Also look at where you are bending the string to at the fret, does a B string tone bend end up with the string under the D string. Maybe not exactly but in that region. Look when you bend and use those references along with your ears.

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

Indeed I have been doing this two things since you mentioned them to me in my ‘What are you learning now’ topic.

I had been taking note of this as well. I thought it might be ‘cheating’ but I’m OK with anything that helps me on this path.

What this adds is to give the practice a musical and super familiar context viz the Smoke on the Water riff. Rather than just playing the 3rd note in the riff, bend up to it from the second note.

I immediately tried on my acoustic and was astonished. I know that riff so well in my head, having heard it 100s if not 1000s of times that in the context of first note, second note, bend to third, I could immediately hear it.

And I think using that ‘trick’ for a while and eventually dropping the first note will help to train my hear to hear a tone interval from one note to another.

2 Likes

Thanks. I needed that info too as it wasn’t on the lesson notes. Hi

1 Like

Check this supplementary topic for additional guidance and support on learning and using blues licks to play lead improvisation: First Steps in Blues Improvisation using Minor Pentatonic Scale Pattern 1
Cheers :+1:
| Richard_close2u |

After changing guitar I am having to revisit my bending technique as whilst on the old guitar I thought I could bend OK I am now struggling to bend on the high E string.

One of the things I’ve noticed is on the old guitar the action is higher and so it is easy for the finger to push up the string above (e.g. the B string where I find it hardest). On the new guitar the action is lower & I’ve noticed it’s often the high E string hitting and pushing the B string up which then means my finger must increase force to prevent the E string sliding back to normal position.

But I find it hard on the new guitar to ensure the finger pushes the string above instead of the string I’m bending pushing it. After revisiting many bending technique videos the way I have solved the problem is to ensure I’m bending from the finger tip and not flattening the finger. By bending from the finger tip I find the finger pushes the B instead of the E string hitting and pushing the B.

I’m writing this post as it seems to me a key part of reducing force needed in bends is ensuring the bending finger bends the string above and it is not the string you are bending hitting the string above and bending it. I’d be interested to hear if other people (especially on low action guitars) find the same thing (i.e. it’s the finger bending the string above) or if I’m adding 2+2 and getting 5. Thanks.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s one of the problems with having a very low action and why I set mine a bit higher to suit easier bending. The other option that I also use a lot is to move the phrase higher up the fretboard so that I can bend the B instead of the e then you also have the option of bending towards the e instead of the G; it all depends on what works best for you. Myself I would raise the action a bit at a time until it’s OK, it won’t really affect the open chord area much (except perhaps a full barré F chord) so worth trying. Very low actions are more for the speed demons, very fast legato playing and tapping with lots of hammer ons and pull offs, it’s not really the best for blues players!

3 Likes

thanks @DarrellW. I was thinking this could be a good option. As someone that is usually inept at any kind of DIY assuming you’d take the guitar to a professional to set the action?

1 Like

Leon, setting the action on an electric can be fairly straight-forward, not too demanding at all. And given you may want to experiment, perhaps take a look in YT for instructional videos on setting the action on your type of guitar.

2 Likes

No not really, a lot depends on what guitar you have - if it’s got a Floyd rose or similar trem it’s more complicated, most are fairly easy if you follow an online method and just go a bit at a time.

2 Likes

What are your two guitars? Action isn’t the only factor that comes into play on how easy a guitar is to do bends on.
Fret board radius is a bigger factor, so is scale length. The smaller the radius the harder it is to bend. A 7.5" radius 25.5 scale Fender Strat is alot harder to bend than a Gibson LP with a 12" radius 24.75 scale. Having your guitar set up to optimize for bends will make a huge difference.

3 Likes

Since my high E string broke while I was practicing my bends :sob: , I have ptsd whenever I try to bend on that very string :melting_face:
It is worth mentioning that it’s my 1st time that a string snaps in the middle of my practice session, and I think the reason is more related to the string being old than the bending technique (but still, I’m scared to bend that high E string for a complete tone :dotted_line_face: )

I’m using thicker strings now (from 9 to 10 gauge for the thinnest) for a change (wanted to explore how it feels in the sound and in the touch) and It wasn’t surprising to see that the bending is a bit harder but I’ll get used to it :muscle:

1 Like

Anas

I broke a shed load of e strings when first starting out bending. Mainly 9s but at least 1 10.
So I had been putting new strings on (spares or breaking into new sets) and it still happened. That made me think it was not the strings just me, so I slowed everything down and eased into each bend to get a better feel of the action and movement require. I should add I also ordered a batch of 10 individual 9s just in case. A guess what ? Since they arrived, not one broken string when bending !! :rofl:

3 Likes

Just buy a few individual high-e strings and replace them as necessary.

3 Likes

Every time I get a new guitar, in the beginning I’ll be breaking a lot of strings during bends - but after a while it always stops happening. I’m pretty sure it actually has to do with microscopic burrs on the frets that wears on the strings… eventually enough to cause them to break. But after enough bending it all smooths out. Usually I can even feel/hear that the string scrapes over some of the frets when bending… where others are totally smooth.

Perhaps this is not at all what happens, but I have no other explanation :wink:

What I’m trying to say - don’t, generally speaking, be too afraid of bends and expect them to cause string breaks. Even a 9 string should be pretty strong, I doubt many people would be able to snap them… and especially not with 1-2 fingers :slight_smile:

4 Likes