Best acoustic guitar for a beginner

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to please recommend the best acoustic guitar for a beginner, with low action. I have done some research but there are so many different options, I would just like to know from peoples experience, which one they would recommend.

Thank you,
Leanne

Hi Leanne,
https://community.justinguitar.com/t/thinking-of-purchasing-an-acoustic-guitar-but-know-nothing-about-them/77159
or
https://community.justinguitar.com/t/next-level-acoustic-guitar/171988/10

I hope you find something useful here while you wait for probably many other good ideas :sunglasses:

But in my opinion the best guitar is the most expensive one your wallet can handle ā€¦
and if your potomonee is not big, also think of second-handā€¦more guitar for your buck then
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hi Leanne,

I addition to Rogierā€™s links and hints, I want to add: Try different guitars, if you have the possibility to do so. Get the one that feels best for you (or the person who wants the guitar) and which you will pick up and play most likely.
No matter which model you will get, what is always recommended: it should be setup by a luthier. A good setup is far more important than the actual model. :slight_smile:

Cheers - Lisa

2 Likes

Hi Leanne.

Thereā€™s no such thing as a best guitar, only the best one for you.

First think about your budget. Avoid the very cheap end of the market, as your chances of getting something unplayable are huge. Personally Iā€™d also steer clear of the very premium end as well, as a beginner isnā€™t going get any better sound than from a mid-range guitar (on the other hand, some find owning a high quality instrument an inspiration, and are happy to have a guitar they can ā€œgrow intoā€). Iā€™m deliberately avoiding specifying price bands, as what you consider cheap and expensive may be very different to my idea, or anyone elseā€™s for that matter.

Next, make a nuisance of yourself at your local music shop, try as many different guitars as you can, see what size & shape are comfortable for you to hold, see what the action is like, and whether you can play clean notes in the first few frets. If you are shy of playing in public, donā€™t be afraid to ask the shop staff to play a few bars so you can hear what they sound like.

Donā€™t forget about buying used. If youā€™re not dead set on a brand new guitar, check out local second hand shops, cash converters and the like usually have a few guitars in stock, some are overpriced tat, but thereā€™s the odd hidden gem.

By the time youā€™ve been round all the shops in your town, if youā€™re lucky you will have stumbled across a guitar that just feels right and thatā€™s within your budget - even if you have to increase the budget slightly. If you havenā€™t found the right one, you will at least have a good idea of what youā€™re looking for.

6 Likes

Hi Leanne,

Iā€™m in line with what Rogier, Lisa & Ian said with the only possible reservation about buying used if youā€™re not sure what the difference is between a ā€œgoodā€ instrument and one with problems. IMHO, Itā€™s a good idea to buy from a reputable dealer whether youā€™re getting a new or used model for several reasons: theyā€™re usually going to have a better selection, odds are that they will be more likely to provide accurate information in response to any questions you have, they may have a guitar tech on site to sort out any minor issues before you take your new baby home & if a return is needed, again, more likely than an online purchase or at a second-hand outlet.

Also, when buying a guitar thatā€™s been on demo - even a new one, I always insist on a string change before taking it home. That way I know when to change them again & also exactly what gauge & type they are!

Hope this helps!

Tod

My best advice is to get the proper fit for you body size. To many people buy a dreadnought size guitar then have a hard time playing it.
Hereā€™s a chart that will give you an idea on what sizes guitars come in.

2 Likes

My recommendation is to find an inexpensive acoustic guitar that feels comfortable in the position youā€™re likely to play it, looks good to your eyes and sounds good to your ears. Then take it to a guitar tech/luthier and have it strung with .010-.047 phosphor bronze strings and set up with as low an action as the Luthier thinks is appropriate for a new player.

Forget about tone-woods, string type, nut material, etc. and focus on patiently learning a new skill on your new instrument.

YMMV

3 Likes

This is a very good advice, to start with the fit. I assume at this point you have no preferences such a strumming or fingerstyle therefore some decent all arounder will do. Apart from size what really matters is the ease of play. Out of my guitars only one is set in the way that allows me to practice comfortably for three or more hours. Taking guitar to the luthier is usually a good idea.

1 Like

Lots of good advice here.

If youā€™re looking for specific brands and models to check out, look at Yamaha. Their FG8xx series are regarded as great bang for buck acoustics.

2 Likes

Perfect advice from everyone here.

Buy from a guitar shop, try lots ( a good guitar shop will let you play for ages to allow you to make the right decision). Once you find one you like, have it set up by the shop. Most new players give up fairly quickly because of badly set up guitars that are difficult to play. Start with a good guitar (not necessarily expensive) and you will be able to concentrate on learning rather than fighting the guitar.

+1 on this. Or FS8xx if you prefer a smaller body size.

2 Likes

I wonā€™t say itā€™s the best, but I spent a bit of time at the guitar store and came away with a Yamaha APX600 thin-body cutaway. It felt good, sounded good, and it got me started on my journey. The action was a little high, as most beginner guitars are, but I did shave a bit off the saddle when I restrung it the first time.

2 Likes

I have a Taylor, grand auditorium size. Itā€™s a nice guitar, but itā€™s not as playable as Iā€™d like, to be perfectly honest. In fact, tomorrow Iā€™m taking it to a luthier here in town to have him give it a good going over. (This isnā€™t just a guy who works on guitars; he builds custom acoustics from scratch.) Iā€™ll report on it when I get it back.

But I can tell you that I tried out a PRS parlor-size acoustic guitar, and absolutely loved the action and playability. Something to try if you have a PRS dealer near you

If your Taylor is less than 15 years old it has a bolt on neck and to set the action they shim the neck. Unless the Luthier is an authorized Taylor Tech anything he does will void the warrenty on your guitar if you bought it new.
If you bought it used them it doesnā€™t matter you donā€™t have warrenty anyway.

I bought it new, but really have no idea what the warranty is on it. Iā€™ve had it for five years. My local shop lost their Taylor franchise because Taylor demanded a separate room just for Taylor stuff, and they wouldnā€™t/couldnā€™t do that. So the closest Taylor dealer is 90 miles away now.

Your Taylor should have a lifetime warrenty even if the local shop isnā€™t a dealer anymore. Phone Taylor and they will tell you where the closest Taylor tech is. It may still be the tech at the music store. If your luthier does repairs he may even be a authorized Tech. If he isnā€™t and he works on your guitar the warrenty will be void but only if Taylor finds out.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Iā€™m really not all that worried about it. Itā€™s a 114e, not one of the multi-thousand dollar models.

I agree with this. my first acoustic was an Epiphone Adv Jumbo (similar size to the dread). Iā€™m kind of a big guy, 6ā€™ 225lb so itā€™s not horribly big but I enjoy playing OM sized a lot more and frankly I think the AJ and Dreads are a bit to boomy on the bottom. my next acoustic will be an OM, but thatā€™s some years down the road as Iā€™m mostly playing electric these days.