Best value BUDGET interface?

My (broke) daughter (in Germany) wants to enable her new boyfriend to connect his guitar to his computer. Any ideas on the cheapest gear to enable this (that works reasonably well?)
Preferably on a larger platform eg the jungle company or Thomann…
Cheers
(@DarrellW @Majik :laughing:)

2 Likes

Well,
Ask her dad an AI :blush:,…like Behringer U-Control UCA202 – Thomann Nederland

IK Multimedia iRig 2,…IK Multimedia iRig 2 – Thomann Nederland

I hear a lot of good things about this last one
Good luck,…

2 Likes

I’ve a rocksmith cable it works OK might be a cheap option

3 Likes

@roger_holland Thanks Rogier. Cool. I had a quick look on the product/Q&A page. It seems almost all are Apple user reviews and not quite clear how functional it is with PC/android? Hmm…

@RobDickinson Cheers mate, this looks like exactly what is called for both in price and simplicity. It looks almost too simple! You just plug your guitar directly into the pc via a usb cable?
I guess I’d have to find out what kind of guitar/pickups he’s using (whether there’s pre-amp etc?)
I’ll try to get some more info

Of course never thought about the fact that there is also apple :confounded: … The first option is also for windows , or am I completely missing the point … and do you mean something else :roll_eyes:,… well, just wait on the other peeps ,… or do your best yourself, there isn’t that much budget choice ,… just play half an hour less today for your daughters happiness :thinking::joy:
If I had asked me about a year ago when I had selected mine, … which has been collecting dust on the table since then (although my monitor boxes are now over it) :innocent:

Option 2 ,…hold a fundraiser :smiley:
With the promise that we will hear and see the results, I will pay something :smile:

1 Like

Here you go, cheap as chips and does the job!

They also do the same thing for a Mic with a different gain level!

2 Likes

Hi Darrell,
And then I assume there is free software to do things on your computer?,.Or is that not necessary at all Brian?..and such a cable connection broke quickly with me when used not even intensively,…or am I now looking for nails at low tide?
If this works okay, well that’s amazing :smile:
Greetings,…

1 Like

All you need it a free DAW, it’s plug and play so should be picked up by the DAW. Alternatively it could interface with something like Amplitude or similar. As regards durability that depends upon how it gets used, there’s not much to break apart from the joints to the plugs which should be repairable.

1 Like

I was hoping you wouldn’t say this…I’ve broken 2 cables of this kind within a month…and replaced them and not repaired them :smiling_face:…but I gave them away to someone who seemed to have no problem with that,… :innocent:
And ofcourse there are free DAW ,…what the heck was i thinking :confounded:
Thanks,…

That’s cool folks. Thanks.
I’ve emailed her (she lost her phone :roll_eyes:) and told her to get one of them cables.
It’s an appropriate gift and hey, it might even work! :rofl:

1 Like

Option 3 ask uncle Rogier

2 Likes

Yep basically, then use whatever software you want for amps/recording etc

2 Likes

@brianlarsen
Sorry to jump in on your thread Brian.

@DarrellW
Would this cable allow me to connect (using a usb to Apple adapter) my guitar to my Apple iPad?

2 Likes

I’ve used a Rocksmith cable in the past as well, for connecting with Guitar Rig software, and it definitely did the job fine :sunglasses: :+1:

:joy: Yeah that’s what I thought at first too! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi Gordon, that could well be possible! I might test with my Android tonight to see if that works (don’t have an iPad/iPhone unfortunately but hopefully the concept is the same). Otherwise, have you tried one of these? I’ve heard good things about them:

2 Likes

It might, but I think they do a version specifically for iPad / iPhones.

1 Like

Sorry for my lack of knowledge here, but if a simple cheap cable works, why does anyone spend money on the dozens of interfaces that are available?

Because that’s all it does basically, most people want more than just plugging their guitar into their computer.

2 Likes

Had another look, there’s no alternative cable so I should think that all you would need is a USB to lightning connector.

2 Likes

Didn’t Ben Franklin just tie a key to his kite for that? :rofl: :old_key: :kite:

4 Likes