Blues in A from Minor Pentatonic pattern I & II (Blues Lead 1 Course)

Thanks so much for checking this out, Alan, and for your kind words! :smiley:

So cool eh?! Very grateful to everyone who’s chipped in with advice and suggestions, lots to work on! :sunglasses:

Thanks again, Alan, take care! :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

Hey Lisa! Thanks so much for taking more time to check out the updated version! :hugs: Glad that version sounded a bit better. Still plenty to work on around tone and dynamics, but absorbing all this feedback and advice will speed up the process significantly :slight_smile:

I beg to differ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: You have great insights and experience to share, even if not specific to blues lead technique, your ear for tone and eye for improvements add much value all the same :sunglasses:

Sure am! And so glad this is becoming a useful resource for others too! Have to take every opportunity to glean the wisdom of our more experienced colleagues eh?! :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Toby, thanks for checking this out mate! :smiley: :+1:

:rofl: I’m actually with you on that! I’m thinking of renaming it “Three Bears Blues”, first too hot, second too cold, third just right… hopefully anyway?! :face_with_peeking_eye: Whenever I get that sorted! :rofl:

Thanks, yeah it’s quite a fun process eh? I didn’t expect it to happen but it really just evolves naturally after a period of time playing them over and over.

Ah yes, those are wise words! I think I remember from that vid which JK shared of a good guitar player who was talking about how he fails all the time so don’t be fooled by the immaculate performances you see either live or online and effectively everything he does in those he’s practised a thousand times and worked it out in detail before playing it for others (I think that was the gist of it). I know there are players who can do all this on the spot, without thinking, but like you say that probably mostly comes from years of repetition and practice. I certainly found that getting it “down on paper”, so to speak, really solidified it in my mind and gave so much more structure to what I was playing. I can now see the riffs in my mind’s eye, so playing around with them seems less daunting :slight_smile:

Glad it helped! If you have any specific questions about it, please let me know :smiley:

Thanks buddy! Take care :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Drove in this morning to the tasty tones of Robert Cray.

I also suggest a deep dive into Rory Gallagher. A true legend and all time great.

2 Likes

That it classic!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Jeff, did you delve in to this topic at all?

1 Like

Hey Jeff,

I see you’ve been getting some suggestions for some good blues - all good I reckon.

Couldn’t let it slide without mentioning one of the greats, Gary Moore. Check out his album, Still Got The Blues, and his brilliant Blues for Greeny - Live. Doesn’t get much better than this I reckon.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Oooh, nice! Thank you again! Added to the list! :sunglasses:

Ah! I think I came across this a while back :thinking:, before embarking on this journey, and thought that would be good to return to but have subsequently forgotten! :confounded: :sweat_smile: Thanks for the reminder! I will be diving into that hence forth! :smiley:

Excellent! Yes, of course, Gary Moore! I’ve of course heard the title track from “Still Got the Blues”, but never listened to the album or really dug deep into his catalogue, so looking forward to that! Thanks again, Shane!

1 Like

Loved it Jeff. Some excellent playing to my ears. I thought I was going to like the lower distortion one more but I didn’t. You’ve sure got the blues.

Is there anything you can’t do? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hi Jeff, I somehow missed this excellent thread up till now :face_with_peeking_eye:. But I’m glad, I’ve discovered it now - better late than never :innocent:.

Blues is one of the directions I definitely want to head to along my guitar journey. So I’m always happy to see what others are experiencing and learn from them. (At least in theory, as I haven’t started the practical part yet :sweat_smile:.)

I was quite surprised to hear you play blues. I somehow haven’t expected that. And - for your first recording playing this gerne - I haven’t expected you to play it that well :astonished::+1:.

Stefan, I totally agree with you :smiley:.

Although I can totally understand your reasons for the first - quite metal style - version, my favourite is definitely the second one. The bluesy vibes come across much better without the distortion - that’s at least my very subjective impression :hugs:.

As I’m far behind your playing level, I can’t offer any qualified feedback, just wanted to say, that this was a very enjoyable listen, and that I’m very curious to hear more from you along your blues journey :smiley:.

So well done - and keep cool :sunglasses:.

2 Likes

Thanks Stefan!! :hugs:

:smiley: Ah! interesting! I really feel like Toby was correct in that there is some middle ground which would result in an overall better outcome, but glad you enjoyed the one with heavier distortion a bit more mate, all adds to my considerations on tone!

:rofl: Oh yes, there is soooooooo much! :weary: :joy:

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks Nicole!! :hugs:

Cool! Can’t wait to see how you approach it too! Like you say, it is so interesting to see what others do on this topic, there’s so much to learn from everyone’s journeys :sunglasses:

Yeah, I can totally understand why! :joy: I intend to do a learning log update soon to give context around adding this pathway.

Thank you! Super kind of you to say :smiley:

Thanks also for this, helps a lot! Tone is a tricky journey, but this thread is helping me a lot and I’m having fun playing around with it. I hope to lock one down that’s somewhere in the middle of these two tones and do a follow-up recording with it at some stage.

Really appreciate you checking this out, Nicole, keep cool too! :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

A little late to the party here, but just wanted to say great job Jeff! :clap:

I watched both versions and I thought each one had a little different flavor. As a fellow aficionado of gain and bridge pickups, I liked the more “metal” version :wink: But the new recording definitely had more of the bluesy feel I think you were going for. I’m always amazed at the difference tone makes in a song.

You’ve gotten some good feedback from those far more experienced in this genre than me :laughing: So, I’m just here to clap and encourage down this path! At some point I hope to dive into blues lead a little more too since so many songs that I want to learn solos for are really based on the blues. Amazing progress! I look forward to the LL update :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Jennifer!! :smiley: Really appreciate you checking this out :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Alright! :metal::wink:

Yeah totally! Definitely need to work on my blues tones. I have been playing around a bit and making some progress but still a long way to go.

Thank you! :grin:

Can’t wait to see this when it happens! :smiley: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi @nzmetal
Sorry I’m a bit late to the party for this one, but I am very interested in your approach here because I’m heading to the electric blues course imminently, just got to get a couple of songs under my belt for an open mic next week.
I was reading through the comments, and I generally agree with what @sclay was saying. My feeling is the second take is better. I don’t recall if anyone mentioned dynamics, the backing track rises and falls in dynamics quite a bit, where it does that you might need to give it a bit of welly, or hit the boost button or something. Bit nit picky really but it’s all I can add.
I’m really glad I found this post, it opened my eyes to the possibilities. I’m genuinely excited to get into it!
Cheers and well played

1 Like

How about that… Looks like we not only share our names, but our learning journey as well. Having the same musical preference towards the rock and metal genres as you, I’m now working my way through the Blues modules. I gotta say, it almost feels like starting all over. It truly is a different language with its own difficulties.

I think the low gain version sounded better, more authentic. Your phrasing is pretty good already. Mostly good note choices too over the changing chords. Now you just need to learn some more vocabulary. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Mike! :smiley:
Great to hear you’re diving in to this path soon too.

Very good point and excellent advice, thank you! Yes, listening to the track and using dynamics in my playing and tone so I respond appropriately is something I really need to work. I’m currently doing lots of homework listening to the greats, so hopefully I’ll be able to pick up some guidance on that from their approach.

Good to hear you’ve found some useful tips here too. All the best with your journey, looking forward to seeing the results! :sunglasses: :+1:

Hey Jeff! Thanks mate, really appreciate you checking this out! :smiley:

:joy: That’s awesome to hear! I’ve always admired your solid technique and keen attention to tone, so really looking forward to seeing/hearing what you achieve down this path.

Sure is! :confounded: :sweat_smile:

Thanks so much! Yeah, I feel there is a lot to take away from this, but hoping also that I look back and cringe at it in the future too (meaning that I have progressed much further down the path of course :crossed_fingers: :wink:).

Yes, definitely! :smiley: It’s a bit like learning a sentence at a time, looking forward to the day where I can “speak” a whole paragraph without getting lost or saying the wrong thing! :laughing:

Thanks again buddy, take care :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Jeff, I thought they were both awesome… although I did lean more towards your 2nd version for whatever reason :man_shrugging:
You always seem to be very technical with what you do and how you play. Great dedication mate.
By the way, when can we expect your username to be updated to nzbluesmetal :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks Sandro!! Really appreciate you kind words! :smiley: :+1:

:rofl:
Any day now, my friend, watch this space… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy: