Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Serhat

Hi, just recorded this take.

First AVOYP so a bit nervous :sweat:

Feedback is appreciated.

12 Likes

Hi Serhat,
Your first video,…with singing!!! :clap: :sunglasses: :partying_face:
There is a lot of good in this video really a lot to be happy about,…
Greetings ,Rogier

2 Likes

Nice job Serhat and a really cool and different arrangement to adapt it to acoustic. Let those nerves of your first AVOYP disappear :+1:

1 Like

Great entrance! Nice work on those bar chords.

1 Like

Great debut AVoYP Serhat. Well played and sung. That was a real barre chord workout!

1 Like

Thanks, @roger_holland! Really encouraging to hear :slight_smile: My actual challenge is singing here :sweat: I only recently started singing and trying to bring that up to an acceptable (to the listener’s ears :)) level.

Thanks, @Notter!

Thank you @TheCluelessLuthier and @sairfingers!

I somehow learned it with bar chords and stuck to it whereas using a capo would greatly simplify it. For this particular song, I guess bar chords are a bit easier as it is easier to mute strings whereas I’d need to worry about unwanted string vibration with open strings.

1 Like

Bravo, Serhat, the first recording and share is the hardest. The more you do it the more comfortable you’ll become.

Lots and lots to love in this recording. I’ll highlight the dynamics in singing plus the variations in the rhythm. And smooth transitions between the barre chords up and down the neck.

From a tips perspective, I suggest you consider mic placement. If you listen back you’ll notice variation in the vocal volume depending on where you are looking (I’m not talking about your deliberate dynamics).

A dynamic mic is designed to be most sensitive directly n front of it. Based on the video, noting that camera angles can be deceptive, the mic appears to be pointing over your right shoulder. Most of the time you are looking a little down at the fretboard to stay on top of the barre chords moving up and down the neck.

So I would suggest you adjust the mic to a position midway to where your mouth would be pointing when you look up and when you are looking at the fretboard. It may take some experimentation, but I’d say worth it given how well you played and sang the song.

Look forward to you joining our next Open Mic!

No need to be nervous Serhat as that was very good. Your barre chords are very impressive. Nice job!

Really good Serhat! How long have you been playing?

Thanks @twistor59! I’ve been playing for about 3 years.

1 Like

Well done Serhat, great debut AOVYP. Good old barre chord workout on this one but you stayed the course and had the added pressure of singing as well. Nicely done sir.

:sunglasses:

What is it a Green Day… day on the forum or what? :grinning: very nice debut, definitely hit a home run with this one. Welcome!

Congrats on your first AVOYP! You did great. :smiley:

I agree with the folks that this was quite a barre chord workout. :muscle:

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Serhat. That was a great way to make an entrance, with a stonking cover. It was really enjoyable.

Fantastic debut - singing of this song is not easy nor the chords or keeping the timing - you nailed all of this in a performance video - uhh tough job you managed in a fantastic way!!! Congratulations!

Hi @elevatortrim
Congratulations on your first video post.
I am enjoying your post.
Excellent guitar playing, the barre chord exercise is excellent, I will have to agree!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Rene

Thank you so much! It’s been really encouraging reading your amazing comments :blush: I’ll try to do another one soon.

I agree with others with a job well done on all the chords!!
I’m not sure if it was your mic placement, or the way you were strumming, but it would be great to hear some more sustain/dynamics of those chords!
I can relate with being nervous about singing. You did a really great job singing in time with your strumming, that can be hard to do!

Hi Serhat. I thought I recognized you. I heard that version you played with your band. This acoustic solo sounds great as well. You are very talented. I have since done an acoustic and electric version of the song. I used all open chords though, so interested in trying some power chords like you did. Thanks for sharing!

Jeff

1 Like

Would love to hear your new versions @SDKissFan