JGC Open Mic XIV / 14 Call For Interest

Overlooked my reply to this one David. Yes a quick slice and dice is all that’s need and an updated mini review of the last OM and off we go. And as you have seen a daily collective response to requests, also cuts down on the Admin, so the processing get easer for each subsequent OM.

Appreciate you dipping in with advice on the guideline now and then. Very helpful as I think folks still overlook the fundamentals.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Can I have a performer seat, please, Toby?

UTC+0.

Thanks!

1 Like

Serhat, I refer you to the topic on eligibility in the first post in this Topic. You need to have posted at least one recording in #audio-video-of-you-playing:avoyp to be eligible, which I don’t see in there. Please share a link if I am missing it.

Plus an introduction (which you have done).

Get that done before the call for performers closes and you’ll be added by our man @TheMadman_tobyjenner

1 Like

Mr Jenner, please will you add to the audience list. Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@elevatortrim Serhat - Or repost the recording you dropped in the wrong thread at the beginning of the month and subsequently removed. I never saw it reappear ? :sunglasses:

I happen to have played and sung this a few weeks ago. Here is my version:
(Edit: Removed. Apologies, did not know about the forum etiquette)

Sorry @DavidP, I did read the rules a while ago but forgot about this one :flushed:

Here it is: Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Serhat

Thanks for the reminder!

2 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Thanks, Maybe I’ll re-add it to my learning log as a checkpoint I can have a look later. Did another quick take for now.

1 Like

No worries, Serhat, we are here to support.

Loved your rendition of that song!

Look forward to either hearing that live at the Open Mic (that is quite OK) or whatever else you may fancy to play.

2 Likes

And today’s lucky winners are…

Into the Performer Pot go

@glpguitar
@elevatortrim

And a grand seat in the theatre reserved for

@madmodmcd
@sgtcolon

4 Likes

Am I miscalculating or are we approaching magic 20 now with performers? Spaces go out very quick this time around!

2 Likes

@adi_mrok

Keep the interest coming all, there are a few regulars willing to step aside for the young guns.

3 Likes

Often get a couple of drop outs too so yeah, keep ‘em coming!

2 Likes

@adi_mrok Despite there being quite a flurry over the first few days, we currently stand at 15 Performer applications and as @jkahn said there will likely be some drop outs, running up to show time (given previous experience).

Good opportunity to confirm the count back system to folks, just in case we are over subscribed. Slots will be given to those who have played at the least number of JGC Open Mics. Note these do not include Justin’s Livestream events, which are completely separate entities. So if you only played at the last LS for example, this will be your OM debut.
So an old stager like me who has done both Livestreams and 13 of 14 OMs drops straight to the bottom of the pile. That way everyone gets a fair crack of playing but priority is given to newbies and those with least experience. Hope that helps ? :thinking:

Anyway, plenty of time to worry about that for now.

6 Likes

Put my name in for a potential 1-song spot Toby. I’ve played at 7 of the first 13 so would be happy to cheer from the audience if you get to the max for performers.

My best guess re time is … UTC -5. :grinning:

Thanks to all the Organizers!

3 Likes

On the list Mari, sorry for delayed response. :sunglasses:

1 Like

It is shaping up again for another good balance of old hands and newbies and those somewhere in-between in terms of OM performer experience.

RE: ability level for performers.
As already mentioned, there is no set talent benchmark that you need to have reached. All are welcome. The only limiting factor beyond the criterion linked above is whether you are prepared to put yourself out there as a ‘performer’.

RE: recording.

Anyone who has ever recorded themselves - whether uploaded to AVOYP or not - will know that there is a tension that comes at the moment of having to ‘perform’. Red button syndrome. The more you do this the more familiar the feeling becomes and the more manageable the anxiety. It doesn’t leave.
The requirement for at least one AVOYP upload isn’t some randomly devised and arbitrary one. It follows from the rationale behind the Open Mic events (a potential step up to actually performing at a real life open mic for some) and it ensures that people who do step up to perform have experienced at least a little slice of the nerves that performing to an ‘audience’ will bring.
I recommend that anyone coming new seek to meet more than just the minimum requirement of one AVOYP upload. Record yourself lots of times. Lots and lots. It’s just a good thing for your development in any circumstance.

:slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hi, just a quick question from a newbe, what sort of time UTC are the open meets?

Tony

Hi Tony,
At your time 7 o’clock in the evening,
But no Milli Vanilli actions are allowed :smirk::wink: :joy:
Greetings

1 Like

Thanks Roger. I will have to miss this live, but will watch it on the video published after the event.

@TonyHS @roger_holland

Please note 1900 UTC is not a given.

Please be mindful of the information in the OM guide.
But we are looking EMEA centric again at the moment and I stress at the moment.

Once the performer entries are submitted, the organisers will evaluate the time zones involved and determine whether to host a show favouring the Americas and Europe (EMEA/WEST) or Asia, Australasia and Europe (EMEA/EAST). Start times for these two regions would be as follows (subject to daylight saving adjustments):

• EMEA/WEST 19:00 UTC – (Saturday) 20:00 London and 15:00 New York, (Sunday) 05:00 Sydney
  • EMEA/EAST 10:00 UTC – (Saturday) 20:00 Sydney 11:00 London 06:00 New York

Please be mindful of both possible start times, when making your application. As you can see your UTC Time Zone declaration is critical to the planning of events.

1 Like