Brian Larsen - July 2022 - Evelyn, Evelyn (Amanda Palmer & Jason Webley) + First We Take Manhattan (Leonard Cohen) + Strange Life (Firewater) + Did You See Him Cry (Pavlov's Dog)

@adi_mrok Cheers mate, yes Amanda Palmer has a penchant for ‘punk cabaret’.
Musicals, when done well, are one of my favourite genres :smiley:
Maybe another OM in the autumn!

@TheCluelessLuthier Thanks Mark- eclectic is exactly where I’d like to be :laughing:
They are a talented (even if odd) couple. They do traditional(ish) stuff competently too.

How about this one @sairfingers?

Hi Brian,
I’m not sure if it was allowed…but I looked too :face_with_peeking_eye:…and nice that it sounds :smiley: :partying_face:

2 Likes

@brianlarsen
Haha Brian. Can’t fault a bit of Ragtime. I know you don’t like bullshit so I just told you what I thought. :smiley:
I’m sure some of your alternative stuff will go down well on our Borders tour.

Edit. Ever since watching that video, every time I go onto YouTube Evelyn Evelyn come up. Thanks mate. :weary:

At least you have a choice of wigs now Gordon but suspect you’ll snaffle the blue on. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Now wouldn’t life be boring if we all had the same tastes and opinions? :rofl:
I’m fairly sure we have enough overlap in our Venn diagrams to be able to appreciate the bits that fall outside as well :wink:
Spot on re BS. I think I sprinkle disapproval more liberally than most…

@TheMadman_tobyjenner From now on, I shall replace wig with wiggle-stick :smiley:

3 Likes

After last week’s over-the-top gimmickry, normal service has resumed @ casa Larsen :smiley:
‘Normal’, as in start learning a song, become enthused and press record before it’s oven-ready.

@ToshS covered Hallelujah recently and that reminded me of this classic, although I based it on REMs cover version, which is far superior.
I’ve always loved the song, but actively disliked the chorus (too ‘boppy’), so took the liberty of substituting a chord or two to make it less cheerful.
I created a Trio backing track and asked Chris and my son Tor to record some guitar and bass parts but became impatient and went solo while waiting. I played a bit more loosely and relaxed than usual in the hope that the extra bit of overdrive would conceal all sorts of cracks. (Standing, with guitar strap a notch lower than usual to look less ‘dorky’.)

Apologies for the long duration. Complaints to Mr. Cohen, please.

9 Likes

MORE THAN ELSE???.. :scream: :hot_face:

:smirk: Well it didn’t… :rofl:
A 10 + for the effort, the standing and the rest in between…and the end with jengelstengel…But if I have to express personal preference, it was a bit too much with the distortion…

I did enjoy it though… let that be clear, but the sound from the speakers was a bit softer this time
Greetings,Me

Brian,
Changing chords to the dark side? Hum, you’re not going Digger on us now are you? :face_with_peeking_eye: I mean I think most would say happy is good?

This is a little different than your normal fare and I like it. I also like the body color of the guitar with the dark neck and headstock. Looks cool… You got a good lean on that whammy bar!

Well dude, keep rocking and all the best to you,
LB

Mr Cohen is receiving a lot of complaints today as I understand it.
Oh-oh. Whoops. Different Mr Cohen.

Have you heard Jennifer Warnes’ version?
First We Take Manhattan (Digitally Remastered) - YouTube

1 Like

That wouldn’t be a bit of borrowed chords in action would it?

ps

I haven’t said bravo for the splendid entertainment my little chickadee.

Welcome to the dark side ! Those minor changes made a big difference. REM made it feel like a jolly holiday, glad you dragged it back to a full on assault. Nice bit of crunch in OD !
A welcome break between POD Go Videos, you’d love some of the tones and fx me boy :wink:
Great share top job.

:sunglasses:

Now then Brian that’s more like it. A proper song. Terrific stuff, that goes on the set list!
I thought the vocal was one of, if not the best, you’ve given us. If you were trying to give it the Cohen vibe you certainly achieved that.
You added your own spin with the heavy fx which I think really worked and the Trio backing was spot on. I don’t know which chords were the substitutes as I’ve never played the song, but they certainly fitted. Well done, that was excellent.

I think I know this best from SRV, but nice work with this!

Hmm, I’m unsure, what do we take after Manhattan? Not sure if I caught it.

I thought that was pretty good Brian. Good crunch tone.

You’re one of the community’s real performers - always great to watch the Brian show.

Berlin seemed to the place of choice. Perhaps with Brian’s love for the place, it tipped the song choice but I somehow don’t see Mr Larsen relishing NY. I oftened wondered where they were taking them. :wink:

1 Like

Where oh where will it all end, Brian. Fabulous the way you keep marching on. This sounded great, a punk rock vibe to an LC song. The backing on the Trio worked well though would have liked the drums louder. And vocal delivered with your usual flair.

1 Like

I see, didn’t quite catch that from the song… Seems aspirational, but maybe not the best logistically if planning to take a series of cities :thinking:. I recommend consulting a map :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

2 Likes

Long swim involved, perhaps better to start conquest taking London :laughing:

2 Likes

Well there would seem to be a Berlin in New Hampshire US. That would be closer. :rofl:

3 Likes

Berlin, USA, a town of 10,000 people and shrinking apparently! Less impressive but closer to manhattan perhaps?

@DavidP London would make more sense as a starting point, take London then Paris maybe, via the channel tunnel. Easier drive that way.

1 Like