Brian Larsen - November 2022 - You Got Lucky (Tom Petty) + Party Girl (U2)

:rofl: :rofl: Rogier, you’re so rock and roll!

2 Likes

My best is either my very first song, or the latest.
(Possibly any one of the songs in between too… Take your pick :wink:)

I dealt with this in the Nits cover:
Rocks in his head, rolling stare :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Another great song Brian. Yes the ability to learn songs faster is definitely a sign of increasing ability as I think one starts to have a feeling for what the next chord is/might be and can then concentrate on other elements.
Loved your version there Brian. Super vocal and you’ve got that fingertip strum style on electric down to a fine art. Well done.

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Always good to hear some Tom Petty.
Nice little jam and vocal.

The minors are better than the majors. :slight_smile:
Digger

1 Like

@sairfingers Cheers Gordon, and welcome back to this sceptered isle :smiley:
I saw a flurry of posts by you recently and am hoping you don’t burn out, trying to catch up.
I’ve given up trying to follow all the new stuff and am just trying to keep my head above water whilst sill playing :roll_eyes:
Hope you’re rejuvenated and will be sharing a campfire singalong before you re-immerse yourself in the blues… :wink:

@Digger72 Cheers Stephen,
I was more curious about TP than a fan
Darkness rules… :sunglasses:

1 Like

James (@Socio) recently requested this song in a comment here

Now, U2 are a bit like Marmite for me, but eliciting both responses simultaneously :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :face_vomiting:
I had never heard of this early song but gave it a spin and found that (silly/jokey lyrics aside) the main feature seems to lie in the Edge’s rhythm work. He varies it a fair bit in the studio version, as well as in live performances, but it I found that simple eighths strumming, leaving out the 1, 7 and 8 was a fair approximation for my pay grade.
Only problem with that is, it makes singing over it a pain in the proverbials. It’s just next level rubbing your tummy and patting your head simultaneously… :roll_eyes:
This is not a proper cover version, but just an exercise in rhythm and vocals.
I kept it to a simple Bm Em A backing track on my Trio+, taking liberties with the lyrics.

Sure, what else would I be doing, with two open mics to prepare for, a Chris collaboration bubbling away in my DAW and visitor from Ireland arriving tomorrow? :thinking:
No more requests please. (I’m easily distractable) :rofl:

13 Likes

Hi Brian,
Never heard of this song,…but I’m certainly not the biggest fan of this band with only a CD in my closet (which you probably don’t like I guess),… …but this sounds like a nice song and I love it played leadback :wink: :sunglasses:(really) and sung, :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:…Bono and socio-…paths :joy:,…nice combination…

And you do challenge with looking for distractions, don’t you :yum:
Greetings,…

1 Like

Same as Rogier with the lack of familiarity, which is surprising as I’ve spent a fair bit of time listening to U2 down the years.

All sounded good to me and it seems you’re procrastinating with what you should be doing with little exercises like this, I can relate only too well :rofl:

I’ll have a think for some other requests to test your resolve! :slight_smile:

You mentioned the Trio+ on my AVOYP recently, I wasn’t aware of the band capability with it, that’s some intelligent piece of kit, I take it it’s a hearty recommendation? Fortunately atm it seems to be out of stock around the interwebs at the moment :wink:

1 Like

Well done Brian, I hadn’t heard that song in decades. It was a B-Side song that apparently after the initial performance of the song Bono said that it was the first and probably last time they would play that song but it went on to become a regular encore song.

You certainly demonstrated that you can confidently rub your tummy and pat you head simultaneously. Respect for turning around a rendition so quickly especially when its a song that you’ve never heard before!

A lot of positives came out of that AVoYP, you got a good rhythm and vocal workout to get you in shape for the next open mic and you ignited Mark’s (@Notter) Trio+ acquisition syndrome.

Looks like your search engine is broken https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/digitech-trio-band-creator-amp-looper but I’m sure Brian can point you in a direction to a better deal :wink:

2 Likes

Poor Google-Fu from me then!! I suppose I should say thanks :rofl: :wink: Anyone fancy buying a second hand Ditto+?!

2 Likes

Great stuff Brian. I haven’t heard that one in years. I am very impressed at how comfortable you are with barre chords and barre chord changes.
Fantastic as always! :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Good times as always, Brian.

I didn’t recall this song until a quick Google revealed it was on Under A Blood Red Sky which was my go to U2 album in my varsity days. Hearing it again and the memories of it came flooding back.

1 Like

That’s what I’m talking about! Good time start to my Monday morning YT feed. The fetching Mrs CT even got a kick out of it. Pure BL, dig it!

1 Like

With that title I thought this could be a party political but I’ll swiftly move on.
New one on me but not surprising. Hope its not on that tree album, as that was the only one I was kind of drawn to. I like marmite though. Whatever or whoever it was, you delivered it in a pleasing and relaxing manner and that is all that matters. I hear you on the rhythm and lyric match up. Some songs seem impossible to sing to while playing and all of a sudden it clicks and you think why did that take so long to work out. It also reminds me why a lot have bands have a singer AND a guitarist. Wash rinse repeat. Nice share Mr L.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

@roger_holland As a teenager in Switzerland there was internal pressure to like the band when New Year’s Day / Sunday Bloody Sunday hit the charts, but never understood why everyone thought they were so good.
I hear Bono has just published his memoirs. If we were closer to Christmas, I might think of sending you a copy as a thank you gift for all your entertainment this year :rofl:
I’m afraid you’ll have to settle for a pic of the album cover of one of my favourite local bands from a couple of years ago:

@Notter Cheers, mate :smiley:
As I said: my hands are full (hence scribbling on the forum :roll_eyes:)
I have purchased a couple of Trio+s for myself and friends, but only off eBay. I don’t see the point of a new one. Worth keeping your eyes on every now and again. Also bear in mind you kind of need a footswitch to control it (£20-30?)
They’re a barrel of laughs and you are the undisputed band leader with no talkback :rofl:

@Socio Thank you.
I think.
Don’t do it again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Eddie_09
Ta Eddie. Much appreciated :smiley:
I remember raising a sceptical eyebrow when @Rossco01 once mentioned that he just thinks of them as normal chords, wondering if that was possible. When I finally started getting to grips with them and even preferring them sometimes, Clint went and ruined my enthusiasm by pointing out that open chords have a fuller sound. Sigh.
Don’t forget, you play acoustic. They’re easier on the electric.

Thanks @DavidP
Glad to nudge the memory shelves :smiley:
I’m afraid that album passed me by…

@CT Ah, the good man himself.
Once again, you leave me with a useful lesson (which I knew, but often forget :roll_eyes:)
A positive comment without any qualifications is a joy to read.
Thank you :smiley:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
As Ebenezer said: “Naughty, naughty… very naughty!”
Mercy buckets! :smiley:

5 Likes

Yesterday I heard a short review of that book on the talk radio,…this is typical for IN the fireplace and not at…( This is of course my personal humble conclusion )…
And… :rofl: :joy:
Thanks for this early morning laugh ,…maybe I should…,…,…,…,…,…??? :joy:
Greetings,…

1 Like

It’s a live album that comes after Boy, October, and War on the U2 releases timeline.

U2 is also marmite for me. I enjoy that live album, happy to listen to a greatest hits compilation (though am prone to skipping tracks) and confess that the tree album that @TheMadman_tobyjenner was drawn to is another on that list of classic albums that I have tried and tried but don’t get into (that conversation about Nevermind refers).

And whenever I think about U2 I associate and think about REM. I choose REM over U2, Michael Stipe over Bono.

And there I go again, digressing. I’m not sure but I think my bad behaviour generally surfaces when conversing on one of Brian’s song shares :thinking:

1 Like

@roger_holland
Ah well, I’ll have to put my thinking cap on again and try to think of different Irish pop star who feels they can ‘save the world’, whilst building up a global business empire simultaneously :thinking:

My nephew went to primary school with Mr. Hewson’s youngest son and one day came home from a birthday party. When my brother asked where the party was at, he said: “Oh, some guy called Bongo’s house” :laughing:

I am happy you chose the correct pill, David.
We can remain friends :rofl:
They kinda lost me after Automatic but I still go back to their earlier stuff.
I posted a ‘handsome’ pic of myself recently,
Michael hasn’t changed a bit either :wink:

ps don’t worry about diversions/hijackings. Most of my guitar pleasure is kept under my roof. I come here for good-natured interactions with other weirdos :wink:

1 Like

Just this before someone thinks they are really holy, and then I’ll stop…
Their mailbox company is located here in the Netherlands and that is where all their money comes in,…we were top 8 tax paradise, now ‘only’ in 12th place, so they have had a hard time last year…but luckily they still avoid tens of millions and millions of taxes a year,…
When I bought a house we made a mistake with filling in on the tax form…left right orso, … we were checked and of the thousands we had already paid that year, something of 350 euros was added,with a strict tone, … with this type of people it is exactly the other way around and they literally make agreements with our tax authorities how much they do not have to pay, (This is on paper and has been leaked)…GROMMMMMm…

Doesn’t matter, doesn’t matter,…I’ll have a cup of tea, you also have a cup of tea? :teapot: :tea:
:unicorn:

1 Like

I’m with you. I bought Monster but never really got into it and have not sampled anything that came thereafter.

But for any band to have a body of work represented by the first 8 albums … well it is just a stellar career.

I shall be proud to be classed amongst the ‘weirdos’ with whom you enjoy ‘good-natured interactions’, though I consider myself to be pretty ordinary, run of the mill.

1 Like