Brian Larsen - October 2022 - 6.45 (Firewater) + Laissez Faire (David Ackles) + My Sister's Tiny Hands (Handsome Family) + In The Dutch Mountains (The Nits)

Well they do says it’s best to be fashionably late to the party.

Maybe this is the younger version that popped up on my YouTube feed after watching the 2022 version

2 Likes

Another fine one Brian, really nice performance and your groove as always is impeccable! Well done and all the best!

1 Like

Cheers for the listen and thumbs up, Ade :smiley:

1 Like

Ahhhh, what we do in the shadows.

Wonderful, yet again Brian. I thought that was a great song.

The Trio+ holding you back, time to move on to something that will set you free, though I’m not sure what that might be.

Hi Brian,

I’d never heard of the Handsome Band - I had to do a double take. :slight_smile:
You’ve nailed it - vocal, playing, face. Lol

Indeed, dark tones; and why not - it’s that time of year - dark and dreary.

Top performance.

Digger

Three songs in just over a week; that’s over-egging the pudding, isn’t it? :thinking:
This is a fun 80’s song I used to enjoy on MTV in my college years.
There’s a driving, monotonous quality to the original with some quirky lyrics that I was never too sure whether I liked or not.
I added a pushed G chord to the verses and altered the lyrics of the bridge to make it more interesting for me (Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental :man_in_manual_wheelchair: :wink:)
Well, now I’m going to have to find something else for the next OM, eh?

10 Likes

Very nice. You make it look so easy. Great singing too. As a Dutchy I like the song as well.

1 Like

Unbelievable, a song I know, this time not a song of the “100 songs nowbody has ever heard of” list :joy:.
Cool rhythm, well sung.

1 Like

Quite believable … I’ve never heard of The Nits nor this song and wasn’t watching MTV in my varsity days ('83-'86).

Quite egstraordinarily prolific roll you are on, Brian. I’ll keep eating your pudding.

Really admire the way you can strum with your finger-tips the way you do. Fine treatment of the outro, which I thought may have been your flair but see it was as per the original.

1 Like

Hi Brian,
:joy: :rofl: :joy:
Even now I’m still chuckling a bit… :blush:

A wonderful performance and a real foot tapping song,and certainly that driving monotome has stayed (What makes/is the whole song ) :man_bowing: :bouquet: :sunglasses: :clap:… , We going to listen to this again tonight … never understood what this song was about in my youth (we don’t really have mountains), and very soon we guys came up with other ideas about the mountains in this song :innocent:,… :wavy_dash: :wheelchair:
Greetings,…

1 Like

Always good to get the local’s seal of approval :smiley:

The trick is to simplify everything and then practice that until you’re comfortable with it. Once you can strum it and sing along, you can then start smiling, winking, changing the phrasing etc.
None of this comes naturally to me and I have to practice most of my ‘naturalness’ or spontaneity :roll_eyes:

I do believe this will be better known with our European members, especially of a ‘certain age’ :wink:
I’ll have to revert before I become type-cast :rofl:

@DavidP Cheers mate :smiley:
… and I admire the way everyone else can strum with a pick :roll_eyes:
It seems the grass really is greener… in the Dutch mountains :laughing:
Yes, I usually try to keep within the spirit of the original, whilst happily making ‘alterations’.
I didn’t spend much time trying to get their outro nailed, so substituted the word yodel and went with that :smiley:

Ah, @roger_holland
I did have a slight hesitation, wondering if I was overstepping boundaries or slipping into political incorrectness, but you just seemed to fit in better than the original…
Glad you liked it :innocent:
I presume the lyrics were supposed to be surreal (or chemically-influenced), but it can be hard to tell when you foreigners communicate outside your mother tongue :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Still waiting (After our first conversation:grin: )

It’s about the (child)singer who sits in the classroom, looks at the map on the wall and sees the Netherlands and everything around it is white on the global map…and he assumes that’s the outside world he doesn’t know or has ever seen and that it’s all mountains are from where the colors/lines stopped…
(they started the drug early in their lives there in amsterdam :grin:)

:angry: :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :scream: :scream: :scream: :alien:…and, :joy:
Greetings,…

1 Like

When folks learn their chords and develop a sense of rhythm, they can learn/play a lot of songs fairly quickly. That is the mantra here, play songs and songs and more songs. There is no shame in it.

I liked this one a lot. Very nice toe-tapper. A lot of mileage from Am-G and an F thrown in. Well done sir Brian!

Nice one Brian! You are knocking them out at a rate of knots at the moment.

Great rhythm to this and gave me a pick-me-up that I needed today. You are really hitting your stride on this one, Brian. Totally enjoyed the listen.

Great stuff again Brian. Once more a song I hadn’t heard before and having lived for 9 years in the Netherlands , well the title peaked my interest. Your vocals were excellent on this one as was the rhythm and it really got me going and tapping along.
Superb performance!

Nice vibe to this one Brian, you’re certainly treating us with your postings this last week! Yet another tune I’m not familiar with so my educational journey continues :wink:

Hi Brian,
This has a nice steady vibe to it and to me it ranks as one of your best. The fast tempo and slowdown are interesting to me. High marks for the stop timing on this one. If I had to pick on thing to take away and remember, it would be the fast tempo and breaks…

All the best to you,
LB

Hello Brian, wow, this is superb :star_struck::clap::+1:.
As a child of the 70s I’m old enough to know (and love) this song :sweat_smile:.
You played it so well and with great lightness. Additionally, your voice suited fantastic :smiley:.
A great pleasure listening to it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

The man’s on a roll ! Guess we watched different shows on MTV as I don’t recall this being on Headbangers Ball. But something vaguely familiar with the progression and rhythm, which means I am drifting back to the late 60s again. I do remember The Nits but only the ones the kids brought home from skool. Never the less, that was another jolly romp delivered with your ever increasing aplomb ! Chappeau Sire.
:sunglasses: