Brian Larsen - September 2022 - McArthur's Park + Karma Police

Have you ever listened to Nirvana’s Unplugged album, David? That was the one that got me hooked on Nirvana. Nevermind was then a great album after I discovered Unplugged.

1 Like

The only Radiohead CD I know is the Bends, but I quite enjoyed this song. I quite like the sound on your guitar too. I guess I’ll have to delve deeper into the band now!

1 Like

The only song of Radiohead I know is Creep, never really was that much into the Radiohead, so all I can say is well done Brian :grinning:

1 Like

That was excellent Brian and I’m sure @roger_holland really appreciated it. Time for a man hug you two?

A great song to cover and I’m sure Thom would be well pleased with it. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hum,
I thought I had taken this one in… So I scanned and then searched for LBro with no hits. Thus, here I am lending an ear.

I can’t say that I recall hearing this one prior. I must have lost my hip and mojo? I like @DavidP was away from the “new music” a while, so maybe that is my excuse. Though now that I hear the original, I might have heard that fade out prior.

Nice cover in play and vox. The capo looks like it was slapped on at an angle. But over all one unmistakable thing stood out to me. Your smile and joy of performing were top notch up there. Keep that my friend as it is infectious!

All the best and keep up your mojo!
LBro

1 Like

I haven’t, just seen one or two songs on YT, Mari. One more try to become a convert, maybe :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m not really that much of a fan of Nirvana but that Unplugged Album is one of my favorite albums. Definitely worth a watch and listen. Link here for you.

4 Likes

Thanks James. I shall take a look with an open mind … ears :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for indulging the digression, Brian. I shan’t apologise as I have been part of previous digressions and you replied that you enjoy these off piste moments.

@mari, you made the suggestion of checking out the Unplugged. @Socio fearing I may not get to do it, you nudged me by providing the link, James.

So I almost then felt obliged, so I have watched the show …

Have to say it just doesn’t do it for me. A combination of the songs, his singing, and the overall vibe. Perhaps if I’d been listening back when I was younger, I may have connected more with it, that sense of angst that I get.

For now I confess that after the first few songs, I’d had enough but did listen all the way through. On the setlist, I like Comes As You Are (along with Smells Like Teen Spirit which wasn’t in the show) and would include those on a playlist (could have said mixed tape :rofl:). And without going back again, my sense is that I liked the Bowie cover best. That aside, I enjoyed his banter with band and audience, did come across as a chilled dude. And whether I like the band or not, he passed tragically and of course way too soon. I wonder how Nirvana and he may have developed.

So my favourite of the Unplugged sets remains "The Godfather of Grunge"s show. As we said before, a lot to do with context and those formative years, each to his own, long live rock n roll!

3 Likes

@DavidP I think its commendable that you gave it a listen from start to finish. A lot of people say thats not for me without given it a try. I presume by Godfather of Grunge you’re referring to Neil Young? I’ve not really listened to much Neil Young stuff (well apart from the AVoYP and OM performances on here). So in the name of community spirit I’ll give that unplugged album a listen to this week.

1 Like

Bit late to the party Brian but enjoyed your cover. Yes I know Radiohead !! I think doing 24x7x365 shifts for 4 decades helped, especially when the likes of MTV and the early rock shows started. Coming home at 0100 and needing to unwind with nowt on the tele but music kept me in touch, Lots of forgettable bands but always enjoyed a bit of RH ! Nicely done sir.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

@Socio :blush: I do try to keep an open mind and recognise their place in history, James. Yes, I was referring to Neil Young.

After the HoF induction and playing Rocking in the Free World, he made a record with Pearl Jam (minus Eddie Vedder), Mirrorball, and did a few shows with them.

He’s an interesting artist given that he covers lots of different styles, follows his own muse that sometimes delivers the goods, sometimes beyond forgetable. I shan’t ramble on here but if the Unplugged per chance piques your interest happy to point you to some albums I think are worth a listen.

2 Likes

Homework time-
Life hectically busy for the last couple of weeks, so forum-time took the hit.
Much water under the bridge on this thread, with some interesting diversions. I believe I need to start a Radiohead topic when I get my time back :smiley:

@Socio Cheers James,
As you can see he does- just took a while for him to recognise it with my playing :rofl:

@CT I’m with you on enjoying the ‘rawness’ of performances. The beauty often lies in the cracks… :wink: Appreciated.

@Richard_close2u You know you did just share a link to one of the finest songs ever written, don’t you. They should have played the whole thing.
I hope you choke :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@DavidP Cheers again. I’ll save it for my future thread :smiley:

Haha, I thought that was my ‘signature’ :rofl:
‘A couple’ of listens? You, my friend, are bonkers :rofl:
Much appreciated.

@Mari63 Thanks for the listen and comment, Mari.
I’ll add a couple of must listen RH clips in my future thread, so you can go strait to the cream :wink:

@adi_mrok thanks, man
You shall be converted :wink:

@LBro Thanks, for checking, listening and the comments, Brother.
If your only nit is crooked capo, I’m on the pig’s back :laughing:
It’s easy for me to smile when playing guitar, esp when I think of who my audience is (friends & family have kind of given up :rofl:)
Long live the forum. Sorry, Community!

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Merci beaucoup, monsieur!
Ah, who lived through the 80’s and did not secretly delight in the buggly fact that video killed the radio star? :rofl: Early MTV and all the European vid shows- Wow!

3 Likes

Well said sir!

1 Like

As a university student when OK Computer came out this was huuuuge for me.
Good show Brian, you’ve just made me put another song on my “to learn” list!

1 Like

Cheers Mark.
RH is of course one of the bands that you can omit ‘the smile’ when covering :rofl:

Well that’s just bumped it further up the priority list then Brian, right in my wheelhouse if I don’t need to worry about smiling too! :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

Ahhh a pleasure to listen to this one Brian given I’m a HUGE Radiohead fan (even with the Roger lyric). In fact I think I did this on one of the OMs. Great song and I believe written off the back a phrase used when they were on tour when anyone in band was acting off they’d say “The Karma Police will catch up with you” or something similar…it’s all here 25 Years Ago: The ‘Karma Police’ Catch Up With Radiohead.

Definitely agree that The Bends is probably the most accessible album but OK Computer is an absolute classic…almost a concept album really. I have listened to both so many times. Although in all honestly onces you’re into those the later stuff is very good.

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Classic tune - and love the tweaked lyrics. :slight_smile:
Cool stripped down as it is - how about a bigger production?

I lost Radiohead after OK Computer - much preferred that and earlier albums.
Certainly an influence on stuff I try to write.

Digger

1 Like

@Rossco01 Why does that not surprise me? And yes, it does ring a vague bell that you sang it.
I did a search the site before posting and was surprised to find ‘no matches’ :thinking:
you should track it down and post a link to the timestamp on this thread. I’d like that!
cheers for the article, always good to find something new.

@Digger72 Cheers Steve,
As you know, I’d be rubbish at reproducing originals, so am strangely comfortable about messing with lyrics as well as chords :laughing:

I think OK Comp was the baton you passed to me as it was that and the next two that floated my boat, but more about that in a different thread…

and yes, there is a bleak familiarity in the atmosphere, even if they stick to rhyming/schemes even less.
Do you have anything in the pipeline? :wink: