Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits Lesson

Learn to play Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits | JustinGuitar

What exactly is the method of fingerpicking in this song. I don’t see Justin employing any form of alternate fingerpicking or traditional PIMA?

Mark Knopfler himself recognises that his unique finger style is not conventional and defies all the usual methods that teachers would teach. He only uses thumb plus index and 2nd finger.
Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

Yes, I understand that he uses mainly his thumb and index and middle fingers, but what’s his method in deciding when he uses which? In the “Brothers in Arms” lesson, Justin appears to mainly be using the index finger and occasionally the thumb, but what is the method behind it?

I reckon it’s based on what seems to be the best way for him personally which is also associated with years of playing, some habits created along the guitar learning process and experience acquired. You just can’t be too robotic about it, do what works for you best.

That makes sense, thanks! I guess I was justing hoping there was a consistency behind it, like his arpeggio technique in Justin’s other video, since that would help me out as a beginner player.

The more you get to advanced stuff the less it becomes defined how to play stuff, you are meant to figure it out a bit on your own. Perhaps not the answer you were looking for but I believe thats how it is :blush:

When you say beginner player Jeremy, what level/grade are you at, at the moment?
:sunglasses:

Why does it seem that the tab does not match the chords he is playing in the lesson?
Am I correct?
Thanks

I have a potentially novice question… I’ve gotten all the way through this amazing song. But I seem to have missed something. In the very last verse, Justin shows the section that follows the lyric, “but its written in the starlight”, but seems to have skipped the next phrase “and every line in your palm” before going on to the last part. Is it merely the one note on the 7th fret being played before the last line “We’re fools to make war on our brothers in arms” ?

thankyou in advance,
Brian

Hi Brian, sorry for the late reply. You probably already figured it out while you were waiting, but just in case …

The lyric “every line in your palm” is sung over the tail end of the same guitar phrase that you begin after “starlight”. Justin doesn’t mention that vocal line specifically because you don’t need it as a cue for the start of any guitar phrases.

After that you play the single note on 7 and then it’s straight into “we’re fools”.