BYE BYE LOVE Cover

great cover if you want some upbeat easy songs try buddy holly peggy sue, heartbeat,its so easy to fall in love.Oh boy and many others

Thank you, @LievenDV. I took your previous advice from when I posted HAPPY TOGETHER when you said to roll off the volume a bit on the backing vocals. However, in this case, I should have just increased the volume on the main vocal. Others have also said that part should have been louder.

I am using Corel Video Studio. It works quite well. I like it.

Thanks again. I appreciate all your input.

1 Like

@Socio I’m happy you liked the song and video. I guess you can call my Alter Ego Pammy, LOL! :wink: That’s what my Granddad used to call me. He’d say, “Hey Pammy!”

Yeah, concerning the intro, that’s why I’m happy I kept it in. Thanks for that.

1 Like

Hey @Lisa_S. Thank you so much! Yeah, that’s one reason I decided to try and learn a little bit about Video Recording. I enjoy trying to include Harmony. It’s all a challenge for me, but also rewarding. It keeps this old gal’s mind working at least. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Others have said also they would have liked my main vocal louder. All great critiques and duly noted!

1 Like

So good! It felt like you picked up confidence the longer you played. I can’t wait for more.

What a wonderful festive season treat! Stopping by and finding this from you, Pam. Always delightful to listen and watch you play and sing.

I’ll add to the chorus … no muddiness or issues with guitar tone that I can hear.

Loved the chorus, you are a whole vocal ensemble all on your own deliving on lead, backing, harmony. Sounds wonderful.

Also liked the video insert for the chorus.

Lots to love.

As you say, a single track with guitar and vocal recorded through one mic (I assume a condensor) makes achieving a voice accompanied by guitar rather than a voice sitting softly behind the guitar tricky. And I am often teased when I say it, saying it so often that it’s somewhat a Community meme, I do prefer the former over the latter.

If using a condensor you could work on mic position to influence the balance but better is to either overdub the vocals or record with two mics. The former obviously can be done with a single mic (if you have just the one) but sometimes something is lost when overdubbing vs getting into the song as you play and sing.

Not sure if you have a second mic? If not maybe worth getting a dynamic vocal mic. Alternatively, if the guitar has built-in pickup you could try recording the guitar direct on one track and setting up the mic just for the vocal, even though with a condensor some guitar bleed is inveitable.

Gosh, here you are and getting war and peace from me :rofl:

As I listen, I am hearing everything in the middle.

I am guessing that track 3 was the same strumming and chords as track one. Add the forth as a duplicate of the third, and you have three guitar parts that are so similar that the ear combines all three and it ends up sounding all in the middle.

This is likely the case even if you use different settings on the reverb and EQ. A trick on the EQ is to boost frequencies on one track and make a mirror cut on the other. Repeat on the other track and you may begin to hear some width, extra fullness.

Ideally, rather than duplicating track 3, you could record another take. That would add some small difference that would likely still end up heard in the middle but add fullness through the small differences in ‘identical’ playing.

One magic trick you can try is to make use of the Haas Effect. Pan the duplicated tracks hard left and right as you did. Then add a slight delay to the start of one track. As I recall you use Reaper, so you can use the time delay JS plugin. Start with say 30-50ms. What you are looking for is just enough delay to confuse the hears. Too much and it sounds like an echo, too little and you hear nothing. Tweak the levels of each track relative to each other and the delay, until you like what you are hearing, the width. You can also experiment with the panning. Do this with track one and two muted.

Once you like what you are hearing, then you can bring back the main track and blend tracks 2 and 3, maintaining their levels relative to each other, until it sounds full and wide.

Another thing you might try is playing track 3 and 4 as A D and E barre chords, using the E and A shapes. The barre chord voicing with the open chords may sound good? Similarly you can put on a capo … now hope I get this right … at the second fret and play open G C D.

Lots of fun to play around with these ideas now you have got the hang of the multi-track recording.

I’m reading between your lines, so can look forward to what collaboration may happen in 2024 :wink:

1 Like

Ah it has a name, I learn every day :smiley:

What also works well is use even a small time delay but apply a different EQ. I use that for guitars now and then and it saturates the whole band a little better or something like that. I usually don’t full pan but rather 65/35 or 25/75

1 Like

Hi Pam, that’s a wonderful performance :heart_eyes: What I loved especially was the soft and gentle tone of the guitar! And your voice too, it’s very sweet! But just anything was really great…I envy your production and use of technology skills…I understood exactky nothing about the following :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

That doubled you in the chorus worked really well! Thanks a lot for sharing it! :blush:

Hey @Mari63! Yes I’m happy to be back on here actually posting a song and happy you enjoyed it. I hope to eventually get it up to speed if I can. I’m looking forward to hearing one from you soon too. Thanks again for the listen.

1 Like

@CT you’ve given me lots to think about and the desire to attempt your suggestions. I would loved to have seen and heard what you “just thumped out using Maj 7th chord substitutions”.

Thank you for the listen and your comments, which are greatly appreciated.

1 Like

@Dman74 Hello Darren. I’m glad you enjoyed this simple, easy tune. No worries about how yours are presented. I went back and listened to a couple of yours and they sounded very nice and personal. We are all at our own place and pace on our individual journeys. All is good. I appreciate you taking a moment to listen and comment.

@beejay56 yes I agree about the over-tweaking. Sometimes listening too much can trick the brain to where your not sure what your hearing.

Haha! Me and my Alter Ego!! :wink:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner. Hey Toby! Nice to hear from you and so glad you enjoyed this Classic blast from the past!

And I was just a “ bun in the oven” back then, LOL! So that makes close in age!

@Guitarman63 you picked out a good selection there. If I remember correctly, Justin has a lesson on “Peggy Sue”.

@WonderMonkey I had practiced the song so much for several months actually. It was pretty much memorized. So that helped with the confidence level. That and realizing after I got started and done with the Intro, that I was going to do OK.

2 Likes

@DavidP Hi David! So nice to hear from you! You know, we go back a ways so I always appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for your compliments and tips.

My guitar does have a built-in pickup but I tried it once and got a lot of interference, I guess through the cable. I do need to buy a dynamic mic and try that.

I can relate to that. I had a hard time keeping up with myself when overdubbing the harmonies, - but it still may be something I could try if just using my one mic.

Tracks 3/4 did have same strumming as one except for extra strums in a couple or three places. Where you said “make a mirror cut” - I’m not sure what that means.

Your other tips are interesting things I will try next time. I’ve gotten some great feedback from you, as well as the others. Great reference for me. Again, thank you!

@SILVIA Hey Silvia. Thank you for liking and commenting on my performance. I appreciate it.

I just know the basics in the world of recording but each time I try, I hope to learn and retain something new. It takes time to learn and is challenging for me, but also rewarding. I’m looking forward to hearing more from you. You are always pleasing to listen to.

1 Like

There are so many ways to put your own spin on music. It’s OK to play things straight up, or “play it the way you feel it” as Stevie Nicks would say. I just watched a flick on Apple TV that had a great reggae version of John Denver’s “Country Roads.” Blew my mind in the best way. Just sayin’.

Hi Pam, great to see you on here again and you’re obviously developing both music and video production skills so big thumbs up! As always your vocals are great and the harmony is really well done. On the discussion regarding the intro, I would leave it out. A production like this is your chance to show the best of Pam, and other than the intro you’ve done that. You can always keep practising it and come back in the future and have another go. Lots of other info from many other people so I won’t add to the volume of that with other stuff. Well done and HNY!
Neil

I feel the same, Pam :smiling_face:

When you apply EQ, you have three settings to work with: the target frequency, the gain, and the Q. So let’s say on track 3 you choose to make a boost ie increase in gain by say 5dB at 800Hz. You could set a wide Q so the boost comes in gradually from say 500Hz, peaks at 800Hz, and gradually tapers off by 1100Hz. By the way, I have no idea if that is sensible or not, just arbitrary numbers to illustrate. Then on track 4 you would set up a cut ie decrease in gain by -5dB at 800Hz with the same Q setting.

So the only difference in the EQ on each track is that one is a boost and the other is a cut. You may repeat that process and perhaps boost on track 4 at 2000Hz with similar gain and Q settings and add the cut on track 3.

The idea being that the EQ settings change the guitar tone in a subtle but noticeable way and doing it in the way described enhances the difference between the two tracks.

The key to success with double-tracked parts ie the same part played twice or just duplicated tracks is having sufficient difference that when panned you have that fuller, wider sound. And the way you work with panning and levels will influence the end result from just something that sounds a little fuller but still fairly narrow in the middle to something with much more width. No rules, just lots of creative potential.

Sometimes I even find when working with lots of tracks, different instruments, that you can’t really hear the double-tracked part in an obvious way but if you mute the tracks then suddenly the mix sounds the poorer for it, a little thin.

As many say, the only way to get good at mixing/producing is to mix/produce many many many songs eg Roman and Leo.

Hope that makes sense now.

1 Like

Hey Clint! Very impressive and inspiring. I must say, I’ve had to put my own spin on some of my covers simply because I couldn’t play or sing like the original (i.e., HEY YA & I’D RATHER GO BLIND), but to do it with my own interpretation, I’ve not tried that - yet! :wink: Thanks for sharing!

@Fourtwo42 Hey Neil. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate it. Thank you for the vote to keep the Intro out. I need to tally the count on here. Some were yes, some no and some neutral. Maybe one day, I can update it.

@DavidP Thanks for explaining the “ mirror” technique. It makes sense.

I agree. Truly, I could never reach their level, but like I told Silvia:

1 Like

@pkboo3
Hi Pamela!
Great performance!
The song may be simple, but it is very beautiful.
And you managed to do everything right :+1:
Hmmmm… I have never used a “harmonizer”, need to try it sometime :grinning:
Leo

Hey Leo! @crocodile1 Nice to hear from you. Yes, It has been a fun one. I added it to my Set List. Thank you for your nice comments. Yeah, harmonies and multiple tracks are why I wanted to try and learn the recording process

I think @crocodile1 might be referring to that bit of software that generates harmonies for you :wink: