Californication - Take 2!

Californication - RHCP (Take 2)

I originally recorded and posted this about a month ago. After some advice from the Community I decided to re-record it. I think I have done a better job, particularly on the timing during the solo.
This is a different BT (from YouTube) but I have recorded the rhythm guitar and solo over it, as I did in the previous attempt. All other instruments and vocals are from the BT.

Original post is here First attempt at Californication for comparison if you would like!

Cheers
Steve

6 Likes

Hi Steve, well you definitely got back to the board and made changes… way way waaay better in my opinio, well done didn’t take too long to get it better did it? :grinning: rhytmic section nothing to be worried about, solo there are few minor comments I have. First two bends I don’t think those are full bends, they sounded a bit too high to my ears. Bends at the end were spot on, but some issues with the timing only towards the end, not a major one and way improved to last time.

Well done tou deserve vibes for this! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Congrats on a second version, Steve, and improvement.

For sharing with the Community I’d have liked your guitar to sit louder in the mix. I’m not at all into RHCP and so have no reference comparison to the original. But even your mix is echoing the original, for here I think hearing the original more in the background so we can more easily hone in on your play works well.

What’s next?

1 Like

Man I thought that was very cool well done!

I have tried Californication a few times & I think you just inspired me to give it another go!

1 Like

Steve,
Nice upgrade from prior. Keep up the good work and it sounds good. Not sure, but maybe bring up your guitar work a tad more? I have poor ears and it is hard for me to pick you out of the soup…

Nonetheless, good job!

Keep rock’n,
LB

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I will try to bear that in mind for future songs I share.
I am currently working on Purple Haze and Day Tripper.
Cheers
Steve

1 Like

Thanks Leon. I look forward to hearing your version when you get round to it. Go for it!
Steve

Thanks LB. DavidP said the same regarding bringing guitar up in the mix so I will do that in future.
Cheers
Steve

Nice job Stephen thought that sounded great and good feedback so far.

1 Like

I thought you did great with the rhythm and the lead, that was sweet. Nice job! Love that song to. Makes me wish i had my electrics still lol.

1 Like

Sounded great to me Steve. Well done.

1 Like

Definite improvement, Steve. That work and practice is paying off! Keep it up, and well done.

1 Like

Thanks Jason. Much appreciated.
Steve

Very nice - definitely sounding good!

1 Like

That was great Steve.

I has come along nicely. You should be very proud of your second recording.

1 Like

Thank you Mari. I saw your performance on the OM recording. Very nice; playing and singing. Shame it was cut short by the power failure or whatever the problem was. Cheers
Steve

1 Like

Thanks Stefan. Recording myself definitely shows up the weaknesses in my playing but also ensures I keep it real and helps me know where to improve things.
Steve