Capo - recommendations please

Who would like to help me spend money on GAS in the form of a quality capo?

My first capo needs to be retired as the rubber is perishing and cut up. I thought it was my rubbish playing till I looked at it.

:bat:

1 Like

Hi Maggie!

I really really like this Dā€™Addario capo I have. Itā€™s light and small so it doesnā€™t get in the way, has adjustable tension, and real easy to put on with one hand:

Dā€™Addario Pro Capo, Adjustable Tension, Black Amazon.com

Iā€™ve read great things about Thalia capos as well if you want to get real fancy but I have no first hand experience with those:

2 Likes

@SS7 thankyou Ivan, I like the look of the Aā€™Addario very much, for the reasons you give. I watched a video and learned that thereā€™s no need to retune when the capo gets moved or removed. Re-tuning is a pain, especially doing an OM.

The Thalia capos look clunky. I like the streamlined design of the Dā€™Addario.

Thankyou very much. Now to source one here in Aus!

2 Likes

I use a G7th because itā€™s so easy to use and very consistent and durable. Well worth what it costs!
https://www.g7th.com/
I use the Performance 3

4 Likes

For ages and ages I just used one of the really really cheap (sub Ā£4) capoā€™s off ebay or amazon and in all honesty they worked absolutely fine and generally no problems with them. I did get a new Donner one for Christmas, another budget one but a few pounds more and it is much better finished and a better spring overall - again it works.

The nicest ones Iā€™ve actually used are the G7th Capoā€™s but they are Ā£30 and upwards. I guess you do use them for a long time so itā€™s probably not a bad investment but Iā€™m happy with what Iā€™ve got for now and they all do the same job IMHO.

1 Like

I use the Shubb C1N. Itā€™s easy to use, has adjustable tension and doesnā€™t get in the way.

Iā€™ve read good reviews on the G7th too buts itā€™s a bit more expensive.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also quite the fan of the Schubb capos.

4 Likes

Maggie

Thank you for raising this. I have been messing with the acoustics the last few weeks for the first time in ages and find my 20+ year old capo a right pita, got it when I bought my ancient Encore. It works fine and still has good tension, it just gets in the darned way ! So I am off to Thomann for a browse.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

I use the G7th performance capo and I am happy with the purchase. I like thats its small and easy to use.

2 Likes

I use a Dā€™Addario one that came free in a magazine offer and it works perfectly!
The cheap ones can be a bit hit or miss depending on the profile of your guitar neck. The more expensive ones will have a greater degree of adjustability I suppose.

Edit : This is the one Iā€™ve got. Iā€™ve just looked it up and itā€™s better and more expensive than I thought. It was a good magazine offer!

Dā€™Addario Guitar Capo ā€“NS Tri Action -For 6-String Electric and Acoustic Guitars ā€“Micrometer Tension Adjustment for Buzz-Free, In-Tune Performance -Single Hand Use ā€“Integrated Pick Holder -Black

3 Likes

I have a variety of capos but the one I use is the G7th.

1 Like

This Dā€™addario Artist is my go to, adjustable, on/off with one hand, well made just does a good job. And I do like being able ā€œparkā€ it on the headstock.

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/capos/artist/artist-capo/

Iā€™ve also got one of the Dā€™addario Lite capos which I got with a pack of strings. Itā€™s surprisingly good, although the rubber is starting to show a bit of wear.

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/capos/ns-lite/capo-lite/

Rod

3 Likes

I use an Ortega twin capo (for flat and curved fretboards) with my 6 string guitars

And a G7th Newport with adjustable tension with my 12 string

Iā€™m satisfied with both of them.

1 Like

Weā€™ve used Kyser capos for years and have always been happy with them. I actually just broke one a few days ago so I was going to get another one (even though we still have I think 2 more in the house). They cost $30 in Canada. While Iā€™m at the music store though Iā€™ll look at other guitars too. I mean capos!!!

9 Likes

4 Likes

Canada Gas

1 Like

I have a Thalia capo and it is a beautiful machine! Very solid, very functional, and includes inserts to match most fretboard radii. More expensive than an average capo, for sure.

1 Like

I second @mari ā€˜s comment on the Kyserā€˜s, Maggie. I bought mine (the only one next I use to a not-so-good Dunlop one I keep at the Van-Guitar and never use much) back in 2006 and it is still in perfect condition, no bad rubber or loose spring whatsoever. Plus, I think they look nice and not so bulky.

2 Likes

I have Thalia capo, looks beautiful , like a work of art, has all sorts of options but I never use it as it is quite chunky and I struggle to not find it impeding me. i do have quite short fingers so that might be a factor along with maybe my poor technique ? My friend has a Thalia and seems to think it is fine for him, if you have the chance to try one before buying I would definitely recommend that. I have tried a few capos and keep coming back to my cheap and cheerful Jim Dunlop but as you mentioned you pretty much always need to make a tuning adjustment after fitting it although I am not sure if there is really a capo which does not need some tuning adjustment after fitting. Good luck Eric

1 Like

Maggie this is more sales hype than fact. If your guitar is perfectly set up and the intonation
is perfect you wouldnā€™t need to re tune.
But guitars are made of wood and humidity and temperature can change both the set up
and intonation of a guitar daily.

As for the type of Capo I use it an old Kyser donā€™t use one enough for anything fancier.

1 Like