Capo - recommendations please

Thankyou very much for your replies, every one of you. Iā€™ll follow up your suggestions except going with @mari to the guitar store where I might accidentally buy a new guitar. :rofl:

@stitch

I had an idea this may be the case. As well as the factors your name, I know that adding or removing a capo changes things. I have a Polytuner than can be set to specific frets and keys so it helps mid OM.

1 Like

Thatā€™s priceless Maggie!!

1 Like

Hi Maggie I know you are being serious. The craziest I did was go into a music shop convincing myself I was going to just look around the guitar section while my wife collected her Yamaha piano and walked out with a Santa Cruz dreadnought ! now I live in a rural area quite far from temptation , it helpsšŸ˜Š

3 Likes

You never know you might end up getting a free capo with the guitar :smiley:

2 Likes

Re: retuning (more like double-checking) with the capo on - even pros do this and it takes less than a minute. I used to watch Jorma Kaukonenā€™s quarantine concerts on YouTube, and he regularly checked the tuning whether there was a capo on or not. Anyway, even if youā€™ve been practicing for half an hour or so, itā€™s never a bad idea to check if youā€™re still in tune.

2 Likes

@Socio James I canā€™t stop laughing, this is so funny. I never knew buying a capo could be so much fun.

@eric.lennon Eric, now you set me off again. I hope youā€™ve enjoyed your dreadnought. Did they give you a free capo to go with it? It makes it less tempting to go into a store, but believe me, one can do a lot of damage to the credit card shopping online in music stores. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Itā€™s a big YES from me Jozsef. I canā€™t stand it when my guitar isnā€™t in perfect tune. Thatā€™s what started my search for a new capo. I couldnā€™t get the guitar in tune.

Hi Maggie,

I had a similar dilemma few months ago. After quick research and benchmarking ended up with G7th capo and never looked back, great quality and reliability. And if Iā€™m not mistaken you can even order engraving.

Link to the model I got G7th, The Capo Company-Performance 3 capo with Adaptive Radius Technology

1 Like

All of you guys praising the G7th capos so much Iā€™m starting to want one just to see what all the hype is about :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Could be the simplicity of use and minimalistic design. You just put it on the guitar neck, squeeze it and thatā€™s it.

1 Like

A free capo , what a great idea !! I am afraid not, it seems I loose my ability to think logically in such a store

1 Like

@RadekSiechowicz your recommendation added to all the others who use the G7th is tilting me towards this choice.

Now to choose between G7th

Or Shubb

or Planet Waves, which I think is the same as @SS7 Ivanā€™s Dā€™Addario ???

Hi Maggie, when I purchased my Capo I narrowed it down to the same two. In the end the Shubb won as everywhere I searched online it had the highest review rating from people that purchased it. Though to be honest I think it all comes down to personal preference. I think the G7th is much easier to put on one handed. Though is that worth twice the price? I think you couldnā€™t go wrong with either.

1 Like

@Socio James I may buy the G7th and the Shubb and return the one I donā€™t like. Ease of use is important for me. I donā€™t have much strength in my left hand so ideally Iā€™d like to be able to put it on with one hand.

Thanks for your input, it helps.

Hi Maggie that seems like a sensible choice. Please keep us posted on how you get on and which one you prefer.

1 Like

I like the streamlined look of the G7th and the Planet Waves much more than the Shubb. Itā€™s ugly in my eyes. I might buy all three :grinning:

What Radek said, just squeeze it on and play, simples!

2 Likes

My choice was a Dunlop 84FB trigger capo, which reaches the 12th fret of my 12-string. If it can do that, it can do anything.

1 Like

@batwoman I bought one of the G7th, Maggie and Iā€™m not overly impressed with it. Itā€™s not as easy to apply to the strings as my Ā£6 cheapo one was (which broke in the end) and I find I have to mess around with it because quite a lot of the time there is string buzz when playing.

1 Like

@SgtColon thanks Stephan, I bought a G7th today and one of the reasons I bought it was that I was told itā€™s easy to put on :crazy_face: I I sure donā€™t want string buzz. I have 100 days to return it if I donā€™t like it. Can you return yours? What do you think youā€™ll try now?