Carson(g) City šŸ˜ƒ

I mentioned Iā€™m in Love with my Car by Queen on my Growing up on 8 mm - #4 by brianlarsen thread this morning and @DavidP jokingly suggested a topic about car-themed songs you love.
Now there are going to be hundreds of these, so please donā€™t rush off and Google (other search engines are available) ā€˜songs about carsā€™, or say ā€œI know another oneā€- but I do enjoy hearing what kind of music makes my friends tick.
You will be judged (in my mind :wink:)- but definitely not publicly humiliated :laughing:

Iā€™ll kick it off with what I used to think was Tom Waits when I first heard it, but is in fact the talented Robbie Robertsonā€™s Somewhere down the Crazy River with Sam Llanasā€™ (BoDeans) fab backing vocals
Take a picture of this
The fields are empty, abandoned '59 Chevy
Laying in the back seat listening to Little Willie John
Yeah, thatā€™s when time stood still

ā€¦ and then of course, Mr. Waits himself from the superb Swordfishtrombones album-
A Soldiers Things
ā€œItā€™s good transportationā€¦but the brakes arenā€™t so hotā€

1 Like

Take it Easy - The Eagles

ā€œWell Iā€™m a-standinā€™ on a corner in Winslow Arizona,
And such a fine sight to see,
Thereā€™s a girl my lord, in a flat-bed Ford,
Slowinā€™ down to take a look at me.

My version here, itā€™s still up after all this time. The Legal Eagles clearly donā€™t consider me a threat ! :joy:
https://youtu.be/4gUyfpouWZA

3 Likes

Simples, no googling required just a trip the Toob for a suitable vid. Jeez Iā€™d almost forgotten about Blackmoreā€™s dodgy titfor !! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

A really golden oldie! All the way from my first interests in the Surf music.

And one that @brianlarsen will appreciate, Beatles courtesy of The MLT

And a bit of Prog Rock

And finally a bit of Prince!

Enjoy :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

My reply to Brian included a reference to Highway Star. My search on YT found a live version from 2013ā€¦Purple with Morse and Airey to go with Paice, Glover and Gillan.

The second that springs to mind is Golden Earingā€™s Radar Love.

And Del Amitriā€™s Driving With the Brakes On.

2 Likes

I am rather partial to Somewhere Down The Crazy River.
Iā€™m In Love With My Car comes from one of my favourite Queen albums - Sheer Heart Attack.
Driving With The Brakes On - magnificent song.

This should have just screamed out at me, canā€™t think why :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hereā€™s a favorite classic.

2 Likes

ā€¦ unless you go and do it yourself! :laughing:
Seriously, Gordon, thatā€™s exactly the kind of big-headed/self-deprecating/humorous response that makes it worth starting this kind of thread.
Vibes.
@TheMadman_tobyjenner Yes, you and @DavidP both reaching right back to the original rockers on this one. Great mindsā€¦
I have a love-hate relationship with all things Mad :wink: They had some brilliant stuff, but were not averse to going down the over-silly-side on occasion. This is definitely one :clown_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Golden Earing, now thereā€™s a blast from the past. Must dig it out again :smiley:
Del Amitri- know the name, but canā€™t place their stuff. I had a listen to this and it sounded like a very well-crafted good song, but just didnā€™t move me :slightly_frowning_face:
@DarrellW ah yes, all the car songs at onceā€¦ :roll_eyes: :rofl: I thought you would have gone for fun fun fun by the Beach Boys first. The MLT cover- well someone was bound to mention that song, eh? I loved Gary Numanā€™s Cars when it came out. I thought the sound was so different and, well, new (wavish anyway). Little Symbol manā€™s song doesnā€™t float my boat, but undoubtedly a super-talented artist. Got to see him for free at a Dublin gig, cause they needed a doctor. Good job no one needed assistance :laughing:
@Richard_close2u Good to see you having time to relax a bit and join in trivia. Youā€™ve been a busy man recently and have good taste. Will you be performing at the OM next month? Hope so :smiley:
I shall leave you with a little more disturbing Murder by Deathā€™s '52 Ford

1 Like

Haha, Dave- youā€™ve got Lincoln on the brain :rofl:
Never heard/saw that before. Really enjoyed it. I know jack about cars, but it reminded me of the yellow hot rod on American Graffiti
That is the tune of A Boy named Sue, isnā€™t it? :smiley:

Whoa, I was not expecting that at all! Steamed up my iPad screen! I would have guessed Waits before Robertson, especially at the beginning.

My buddy Tony Spinger aka Wild T

3 Likes

:grin: The Lincoln connection didnā€™t even cross my mind, but youā€™re right! And it does sound an awful lot like A Boy Named Sue, good shout there.

That much fun cannot be legal!

1 Like

Took me few hours and I used this post as an excercise for my brain trying remind myself any song about a car or cars.

First ones involving the word car were Fast Car by Tracey Champan which really doesnā€™t focus on a car, its just a feature of this song and not a theme I would say. Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol nothing to do with cars at all, it was just a thing that I believe mum of the frontman used to say to him when they were thinking about girls, so I scratched those two.

Finally got one that actually is about a car and itā€™s this one:

Funny enough before I copied the link from YouTube searchbar was suggesting me a song of this title done by about 5 different artists! Lot of inspiration from Black Caddie :joy:

Edit. One more thing- text is actually really cool and I really dig this song, havenā€™t listened to it for a while so thanks Brian for this post :grin:

I got a mind full of aggravation
I can take it if I just relax
I say a prayer for the motivation
Keep me solid, so I stay on track

But thereā€™s a monkey on my back
And it donā€™t know how to act
Got me climbinā€™ up and down the walls
Now I gotta make a choice
Maybe then I can rejoice
'Cause Iā€™m sick of all the same withdrawals

I got a mind full of inspiration
And I ainā€™t livinā€™ in the past no more

So feast your eyes
On the big, blue sky
And wave bye bye
From a long, black Cadillac

3 Likes

A couple favoritesā€¦

Itā€™s probably cheating but Iā€™m going to say 2 of my favorite ā€˜Carsā€™ songs are Just What I Needed, and My Best Friendā€™s Girl.

1 Like

Haha, no such thing as ā€˜cheatingā€™ Mari. I loved those songs as a teenager.
On the other hand you could have gone the full Monty and said Drive by the Cars :roll_eyes: :rofl:

1 Like

Never heard of them, but cool song. Put on your to-do list :wink:

1 Like

OK Stitch, if youā€™re hanging around with dudes that do the blues like this, all the jigsaw pieces are starting to fall into place :smiley:
One word: Wow!

2 Likes