Carson(g) City šŸ˜ƒ

Ullo Johnā€™s Got a New Motor had me laughing like an idiot.

I hadnā€™t seen or heard Gomez before. Very cool! Thatā€™s a great video, really cool song, and great sounding band.

How has this one not been included yet?

1 Like

I had a gold vinyl edition of New Boots & Panties by Ian Dury and the Blockheads. What a great band.

Speaking of Cortinas ā€¦ This was tucked away on the album titled Power In the Darkness: Grey Cortina - YouTube

And this big hit wasnā€™t on the album in its original vinyl release: Tom Robinson Band - 2-4-6-8 Motorway - YouTube

1 Like

You should have a look at their performance of Phantom of the opera, itā€™s absolutely brilliant, Symphonic metal at its best!

You Rock Ozzy

Classic OGWT !!

OGWT

1 Like

Haha, loved the Tardis-trip back Alexei Sayle town, @TheMadman_tobyjenner :laughing:

Iā€™m coming to the end of my ā€˜must-includeā€™ list, although Iā€™m sure there are many more out there to be (re-)discovered.
I was in two minds recently when I decided to cover a Sisters of Mercy song, the one below or ā€˜Vison Thingā€™. Some might recall that I plumbed for the latter.

Here are a couple for me.

Meat mentions, ā€œBut there ainā€™t no Coup de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack boxā€

And no cars mentioned but it makes me think of cars because they are called Cars.

1 Like

Hi Brian,
Look what I found in the basementā€¦ :sunglasses:

The next song is from one of my favorites and also a Dutch band,ā€¦with a very strange nameā€¦
ā€¦and Iā€™ve never understood the last few seconds of the song with those bells :hear_no_evil:ā€¦and the singing is bilingualā€¦

Greetingsā€¦

1 Like

Oh man, if you go Meat Loaf, you gotta go with:

2 Likes

You could make a rock ā€˜nā€™ roll automobile song hall of fame with just songs by the Boss. But the best one has to be:

ā€œFor all the shut down strangers and hot rod angels
Rumbling through this promised land
Tonight my baby and me, weā€™re gonna ride to the sea
And wash these sins off our hands.ā€

Haha 8 months later :astonished:
Surely that has to be the record so far for the biggest ā€˜bumpā€™ since we moved from the forum.
Nice tune, makes me nostalgic for my favourite mode of travel- hitchhiking.

@jjw absolute classic. I think I shared that one when he left for heaven/hellā€¦
Ah the Boss, Indeed. Iā€™d probably go for The River, which has a bit of driving in it :wink:

Seeing as itā€™s been resurrected, Iā€™ll throw in this Roger Waters song about hitchhiking from Beirut. Itā€™s a bit long, and maybe not his finest musically, but as I have been on that road many times and itā€™s an anti-war song as well, here you go

1 Like

Better late than never:

Chris Rea - Road to hell

Sniff nā€™ the Tears - Driverā€™s Seat

Joe Bonamassa - Drive

come to my mind.

1 Like

Hi Andrea and everyone else,
The road to hell from Chris Rea is a lovely song to let your C-major fly (or your A-minor pentatonic) all the time,ā€¦you canā€™t go wrongā€¦ :sunglasses:
Greetings

1 Like

My neighbors know these pretty well I thinkā€¦ :grimacing: :innocent:

1 Like

Doh! I hadnā€™t realized this was an ancient thread. Oops.

As for The River, itā€™s pretty hard to argue against it, I admit. Maybe it really is the best Bruce car song. Ask me tomorrow, though, and I might say Stolen Car or Wreck on the Highway or even My Hometown.

That doesnā€™t matter at allā€¦better to bump older threads than open new threads all the time, as is often the case,ā€¦itā€™s even a starting question when opening a topic,ā€¦is this topic there already?..Fun fact OUDE maasweg means OLDā€¦
I have found more fun / good old and older, but that will comeā€¦and I donā€™t mean Brian himself, that would be a lame oneā€¦ :innocent:
Greetings,ā€¦

Edit:I now see/understand what you mean You respond to Stefan,ā€¦but Brian responds to me, because I had reopened the thread :grin:

Woah, your Sniff ā€˜nā€™ the Tears just sent me down a deep rabbit hole :astonished:
40 years ago as a teenager, I used to record mixtapes from the radio. Iā€™d always have one in my cassette player ready to press ā€˜recordā€™ whenever the opening couple of bars of a song sounded promising.
One day a new wavish song came on and I pressed record, not realising that I hadnā€™t wound the cassette to the next empty bit, taping right over the middle of Driverā€™s Seat. The result was strangely pleasing as I felt they fit quite nicely together and I grew very fond of this new ā€˜Brundleflyā€™.
I never found out who the song in the middle was by until last night when I was chatting to an old friend in Switzerland and found out he had copied and digitalized my tapes and sent me the mp3.

This morning I even popped both tracks into Reaper to splice them together and recreate this masterpiece, only to discover that my pink nostalgia glasses are not as strong as I thought and the past couple years learning guitar has made my ears more critical :roll_eyes:
Ah well, ou canā€™t get into the same river twiceā€¦
Hereā€™s the track in question. Small band based in Germany, quite an Ultravoxy vibe :sunglasses:

That wasnā€™t my intention at allā€¦but obviously youā€™ve found the exit before someone like @roger_holland could close the lid to protect himself from your sarcastic comments :joy:(uups, sorry, just kidding!).
Yes, thatā€™s the same rabbit hole for meā€¦ so many songs are connected to personal stories and experiences.
Donā€™t know why, but you setted off an avalanche in my head with those carson(g)s. Another two popped up today:

as an former resident of Switzerland you know them for sure

from the Black City Parade album where Nicolas Sirkis is driving through Berlin by night.
Indochine is a French New Wave Band I know well from the 80ā€™s, as I participated at several student exchange programs to France. ā€œTes Yeux Noirsā€ was one of my favourite songs and is connected to a lot of memories. Somehow they accompanied me until today, as they managed to stay popular (in France) over the last 40 years. So, finitoā€¦

3 Likes