CCR: Ever Seen The Rain?

OK here is an acoustic practice for my Grade 2 consolidation. Besides being generally stiff/tense, the real struggle is the change to and from F-barre. I have been working on a few songs with F-barre and just can’t seem to get changes to it any quicker or smoother.

I also just practice PFC from C-F barre and Am-F barre for 2 minutes each for every practice. Not sure if there is anything else I should be doing? Thanks in advance for feedback!

7 Likes

Sounds like you’re on the right track.

I found “forcing the changes” helpful

But keep up the perfect chord change and 1 minute changes :+1:

2 Likes

Well done Jeff. That one is coming along and you’ll know yourself which chord changes you need to work at. Keep that strumming hand moving in time to the song. You were losing the rhythm a bit there and your strumming was jerky. It was smoother in your Cars video.

1 Like

Doing good work and on you way, Jeff. Just a couple of places where I notice the strumming hand stop to make a change. So I’d suggest target those changes for specific attention if not already doing so.

1 Like

I can’t really add to what’s already been said Jeff, but I can encourage you to keep going. You’re making good progress.

1 Like

Hey Jeff, another great share. Coming along there. I think you’ve gone really quickly through Grade 1 & 2.

I think there’s no substitute for repetition to get to smooth F changes. Chord perfect to train the fingers, PFC & OMC to force the speed, and songs to enjoy it. Perhaps consider slowing strumming tempo but making it consistent and forcing the change on the right time - eg just one strum every bar, then 2 strums per bar, etc.

Speed and accuracy will come in time with practice!

1 Like

I’m almost on the same point. I practiced this song with the Fmaj , now on full speed and trying to sustitute with the Mini F. As for me, the F barre is almost easier to fret, I’m on my way to speed up with chord changes. What else should we practice? What I’m doing on top is to practice not only the changes from one chord to another, but parts of the chord progression, like Am-F-C-G, outside the song, over and over, just with a metronome, till I’m in the flow. Only then, I try to add the strumming pattern. If that works reasonnably good, I go back to the song.

1 Like

@Helen0609 Are you looking for tips on what to practice with F changes or with enhancing Have You Ever Seen the Rain?

:joy: No, thank you! Must be my English, sorry for that, only was kind of a rhetorical question. But thanks for asking!

1 Like

Well done, Jeff.
You’ve come a long way
You’ve a long way to go…
The most important thing is enjoying the journey as we trudge along :smiley:
You could try putting on a capo up around the fifth fret and playing the same chord shapes. That might make it easier and then you move the capo down towards the nut as you get more comfortable.

Meditation, patience, mindfulness…
(Never ask rhetorical questions on a forum full of wise-crackers :roll_eyes:)

2 Likes

Good stuff Jeff, well played.
Not that my F changes are perfect by any stretch but I ended up doing the same as you, putting in OMC and PFC for F with changes from C, Am, G and D. It certainly helped and I don’t think there’s any other recommendation I’d have other than continuing to play songs with the full barre chord in.

1 Like

A really good effort Jeff. It’s coming along nicely.

I think the F barre is, for most, a long and slow road. Keep at it and they will start to get smoother.

1 Like

Hey Jeff. I’ve just read your main intro thread, and it’s quite inspirational that you are willing to start again from scratch as a lefty after having played for so many years.

Nice work on this one. I can’t really add much to the advice that’s already been given above. I suppose that over time with the repetition of those exercises for the F, it will have a two-fold effect:
1.the muscle memory will eventually start taking over for the smoother transitions and 2. your right index finger will build up the strength to make barring more comfortable.
But as a lifelong player you probably already have all of that knowledge about the early learning process stored away in there somewhere :slight_smile: Good luck mate.

1 Like

Jeff just listening to it sounded like Have you ever seen the rain so that’s a good start. A few observations. Some hesitancy in forming chords (may have been the stress of recording) easily solved by continuing practice on one minute changes etc. The strumming pattern seemed to change a lot…I’m not sure if that was intentional or not. I would try and keep to the same pattern as that will help you keep in time and stay with the rhythm. Overall though good progress.

1 Like

Wow great advice everyone. I really appreciate it. I will incorporate a few things into my routine:

1. Work on a very consistent strumming pattern (old faithful) for the whole song taking it as slow as I need to for good changes.
  2. Work specifically on/isolate just the chorus progression (F,G,C,Am)
  3. Forcing changes to F-barre even if it is not “perfect”
  4. Continue OMC and PFC as before

It is certainly arguable that I progressed through Grade 1 and 2 quicker than I needed to and the poor habits are showing themselves. I will not move on to Grade 3 until everything is shored up.

Hi Jeff, not so sure it’s “bad habits” more that you haven’t spent the time getting things locked in so that it becomes second nature. A lot of playing guitar is simply building muscle memory…which unfortunately comes from just repeating things. When I say repeating things I mean hundreds and hundreds of times. Doing that with Open Chords, Barre Chords, Strumming etc. then gives you a baseline to add other things on to.

If you progress too quickly you experience what I see which is your hands not keeping up with what the brain is telling them to do. All it takes is a) understanding the technqiue and b) slow steady practice. It’s almost the same for everything on guitar.

2 Likes

Making good progress and lots of good advice and constructive comment. The F chord is hard enough to play let alone move to it from other chords but you will get fluidity with practice. Took me ages back in the day. Slow and steady wins the day. Don’t worry about speed and just move from C to F, G to F, Am to F whatever, forget 1MC for now just focus on a good landing and clean chords. Do that in isolation and then come back to the song. You only ever need change as fast as the song you are learning. Well done.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Great job! Stay with it. Can you find a backing track with that incredible bass line? It would help with tempo and timing. I love playing CCR songs

1 Like

https://www.karaoke-version.co.uk/custombackingtrack/creedence-clearwater-revival/have-you-ever-seen-the-rain.html
Buy the custom version, solo and download each instrument individually and drop the ones you want into a DAW. Or mute the tracks you don’t want (GTR n VOX ??) and create a track with what is left. Good quality, good price. Simples. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Or get one free on youtube and save your cash for a guitar upgrade! CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - Have you ever seen the rain? [GUITARLESS BACKING TRACK + BASS TAB] - YouTube

1 Like