Chord Changes For One

Wondering how to get your chords ready to strum on the beat?

View the full lesson at Chord Changes For One | JustinGuitar

Somewhere in this set of videos, you talked about a nice chord progression to work on using all three chords. I didn’t write it down, and now I can’t seem to find it. It was something like E to A to D to A to E. I know I could just make one up, but I figure you had a reason for yours. Thanks!

Hello @jimchall welcome to the Community.

You certainly could make one up.
The reasons Justin will have mentioned those three is they belong together, in the same key.
The A chord would be what is called the ‘tonic’ … the home chord.
Start and finish on A.
Change between A, D and E as you fancy and as your ears guide you.
It’ll be good.

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

Thanks Richard. I understand more now, and didn’t know about tonics. I came up with A-D-E-A-E-D to get through practicing my first three chord changes. It doesn’t really end in A since it starts with A I get a D-A change. Am I thinking about this right?

Hi Jim, you are on the right track! Just take it slow and easy at this point and pretty soon your fingers will start to know how to change between those three chords without having to think about it. Enjoy!

Thanks Dave! I’m having a great time even though my fingers are slow to learn!!

1 Like

Does it sound good? That’s one measure of how ‘right’ it is.
And, are you getting in the good practice and improving?

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

It’ll sound better soon as I keep practicing – I call it yoga for my left hand fingers (and wrist)! The A chord is a beast but it gets a little better every day.

2 Likes

I thought the A chord was pretty easy at first, then suddenly it wasn’t! I thought it was easy until I realized that I was almost always muting the G string. I still have to pay attention to that one, especially if I’ve been playing a lot and my fingers are a little tired.

Hah we’re all so different. I have a harder time with the B string and once I get it, then the G string is often muted. It’s slowly getting there … Just gotta love the challenge and the joys that come from playing. I’m not playing songs yet, but these first 3 chords changes are close. Hopefully this week I’ll try Three Little Birds – gotta love Marley.

1 Like