Chord Changes For One

Wondering how to get your chords ready to strum on the beat?

View the full lesson at Chord Changes For One | JustinGuitar

Somewhere in this set of videos, you talked about a nice chord progression to work on using all three chords. I didnā€™t write it down, and now I canā€™t seem to find it. It was something like E to A to D to A to E. I know I could just make one up, but I figure you had a reason for yours. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @jimchall welcome to the Community.

You certainly could make one up.
The reasons Justin will have mentioned those three is they belong together, in the same key.
The A chord would be what is called the ā€˜tonicā€™ ā€¦ the home chord.
Start and finish on A.
Change between A, D and E as you fancy and as your ears guide you.
Itā€™ll be good.

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

Thanks Richard. I understand more now, and didnā€™t know about tonics. I came up with A-D-E-A-E-D to get through practicing my first three chord changes. It doesnā€™t really end in A since it starts with A I get a D-A change. Am I thinking about this right?

1 Like

Hi Jim, you are on the right track! Just take it slow and easy at this point and pretty soon your fingers will start to know how to change between those three chords without having to think about it. Enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks Dave! Iā€™m having a great time even though my fingers are slow to learn!!

2 Likes

Does it sound good? Thatā€™s one measure of how ā€˜rightā€™ it is.
And, are you getting in the good practice and improving?

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

Itā€™ll sound better soon as I keep practicing ā€“ I call it yoga for my left hand fingers (and wrist)! The A chord is a beast but it gets a little better every day.

2 Likes

I thought the A chord was pretty easy at first, then suddenly it wasnā€™t! I thought it was easy until I realized that I was almost always muting the G string. I still have to pay attention to that one, especially if Iā€™ve been playing a lot and my fingers are a little tired.

1 Like

Hah weā€™re all so different. I have a harder time with the B string and once I get it, then the G string is often muted. Itā€™s slowly getting there ā€¦ Just gotta love the challenge and the joys that come from playing. Iā€™m not playing songs yet, but these first 3 chords changes are close. Hopefully this week Iā€™ll try Three Little Birds ā€“ gotta love Marley.

2 Likes

First postā€¦ go easy on me.

Iā€™ve been enjoying the lessons so far. Two months in, and I am learning a lot, and basically content to pick up a lot of fundamentals to get in shape for later. No need to make it cry or sing just yet. I could play scales or whatever exercises for an entire practice session, because I know I am building the basics.

Iā€™ve been using the song practice appā€¦ ā€œchord karaokeā€ as I like to call it. Many of the easier songs use a single chord per 4-beat measure. I find that I tend to either just strum slowly once on beat 1, or twice on beats 1 and 3, or maybe three times on beats 1, 2 and 3. But I spend most of beat 4 trying to get in place for the next measure. Please tell me my changes will get faster and more natural feeling!

For reference, I am playing an electric with a Mustang Micro headphone amp, which can be set clean or noisy, with a long or short sustain. And I can consistently achieve more than 30 changes per minute in the 1-minute changes appā€¦ on some combinations I get as high as 70-80 changes per minute.

I guess I just wanted to throw this out thereā€¦ I appreciate the workout that the song app provides. But do others feel a disappointed at the dullness of strum-strum-strum-switch?

(On the other hand, a song with a more challenging repeating pattern like Free Fallinā€™ just makes me happy I got through the whole thing!)

Alan

3 Likes

Hi Alan, welcome to the forum.

Yes, changes get faster and easier with practice.

The app shows you chords and allows you to play along but doesnā€™t really show you unique strumming patterns per song. An easy default is to try applying old faithful. Alternatively you could watch Justinā€™s lesson for a song for the strumming pattern, or listen to the song and see if you could figure it out.

2 Likes

Hi Alan and also a welcome from me!
What youā€™ve described I think is perfectly normal, itā€™s a different beast going from OMC to actual songs as youā€™re thinking of a bit more than just the single change.

As JK has described mixing in a bit of a strumming pattern beyond just down strokes is a good call, youā€™ll likely find you feel more of a flow to the song with it which could help unclutter your mind. Perhaps in tandem with that knock 10% or 20% off the BPM of the song.

It will come along with more practice though and certainly donā€™t feel disappointed, itā€™s all part of the evolution. Youā€™ll look back on this period and smile!!

2 Likes

Hi Alan and welcome.

Iā€™m a couple of months in to learning and with regular practice, my changes have got both better and faster. Keep at it :sunglasses:

1 Like

But the app does show the strumming pattern? Top right corner thereā€™s a little icon that you can click to show the chords and strumming pattern for the song. Though youā€™re right itā€™s hardly a unique pattern, it does show whether to do 4 down strums per bar, just one, old faithful, etc.

3 Likes

Iā€™m about 6 months in, and Iā€™ve had the same struggle (we all have). It just takes time and practice. Personally, I could rock my OMC but hitting those changes in songs was hard. When it finally clicked, it was pretty awesome! Just keep practicing, and youā€™ll get there.

You could also throw in some metronome training, using a 4:1 tempo, and upping the bpm if you can change smoothly.

1 Like

Been a couple of months since I used the app so it may have changed, but then it seemed the strumming patterns in the app didnā€™t match the actual song.

1 Like

True; though I thought that had to do with certain songs being proposed for certain grades/modules at which the original strumming pattern would not yet have been taught or deemed too difficult.

1 Like

@aporter At some point in the lesson plan Justin does a video on strumming, and describes a ā€œ3 minute strummingā€ exercise.

I found that one very helpful, and so did my girlfriend.

Donā€™t be afraid to skip ahead in the lesson plan if you have not seen that one yet. Though stay with Justinā€™s plan overallā€¦it really is very well structured!

1 Like

Thank you all for your words of encouragement!

I had missed the place in the song app where you can see the suggested strumming patterns. Plus, I find that some songs just have more interesting beats than others.

Now to just make sure I practice slow enough so that ā€œpractice makes permanentā€.

1 Like