Chord Inversions & Jumbled Triads

Inversions change the whole character of a chord, and they're pretty common on guitar!

View the full lesson at Chord Inversions & Jumbled Triads | JustinGuitar

Towards the end of the Learn More Section, Justin says “So, you might see Cb for C Chord 2nd Inversion.”
Wouldn’t this be a first inversion and Cc be C Chord 2nd inversion? Thanks.

@stong3001 Thanks for the heads up - typo now fixed.
Cheers :blush:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

I feel like putting the notes in alphabetical order first helps. Then you just need to figure out which one of the 3 are the root, which is easy since you just have find which letters have a distance of more than 2. It feels a lot more mechanical to sort them first though.

@apropostt there’s some logic to what you say. :slight_smile:
When you describe the counting as a ‘distance of more than 2’, try to learn and use a little theory and the naming conventions around intervals, thirds etc.

Cheers :+1:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

Fair… honestly I wrote this before I sat down to do the exercise. Once I sat down and actually looked at the notes it was much more straight forward than I was originally thinking. Just find the notes that couldn’t be/aren’t a third apart from each other. That part wasn’t hard.

Identifying if it was minor/major/dim/aug honestly took me a bit longer than I expected; key signatures are still pretty rusty for me and most of the key signatures I have memorized are flats (F, Bb, Eb, Ab… etc).